Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 seat belt stalk substitute from other models?

Views : 823

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 15:14   #1
suffolk009

Default 740 seat belt stalk substitute from other models?

I recently bought a fabulous 740 estate. Nice base model 2.3 carb. G reg. a tiny 73,000miles! It had a few little busted things, nothing big, just little jobs that needed sorting, and have all been done bar one.

The thing that's got me stuck is the seat belt stalk. The drivers side is broken - the stumpy bit attached to the seat will not click when you push the belt in. I've been trying to get one from online scrap dealers, local scrappies and their recommendations. Volvo want £80 for a new one.

What I'm asking is this; is the part interchangable with any other models? The stalk is the shorter type (I think pre-tensioner) it's about 5 1/2 inches long and appears to bolt onto the seat. It has wires for the seat belt warning light.

I've accidentally bought a coupl eof the longer types, but it seems the one I need is a bit rarer.

As always, any help and advice is very greatley appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

Tim
suffolk009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 15:19   #2
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Hi,

Post a photo if you can so people will know which one you have. I know the earlier type like mine has has been superceded with a newer part from the dealers and doesn't include the integral lamp!

edit: or see if there's a part number on it.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 15:32   #3
suffolk009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Hi,

Post a photo if you can so people will know which one you have. I know the earlier type like mine has has been superceded with a newer part from the dealers and doesn't include the integral lamp!

edit: or see if there's a part number on it.
Good plan, I'll get onto it. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 16:40   #4
suffolk009

Default photos added

Some photos to clarify the situation. The seat belt stub (the one pictured on the boot of the black backgrouns) is the sort that is NOT correct. It is much too long.

The photos of the seat belt in situ are, admitedly terrible, but hopefully show the fixing to the seat and that they are really very short - about 5 inches long.

Hope that helps clarify.

Again, thanks for any help. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo seat belts 001.JPG (118.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg volvo seat belts 002.JPG (93.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg volvo seat belts 005.JPG (92.5 KB, 5 views)
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 21:41   #5
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Default stalk

Looking at first photo i would have thought for safety reasons that was correct,because surely if you had an accident and the stalk is atached to the seat then the seat would move with you whereas if fitted to the floor you have the proper resraint,on all the volvo cars i have driven aprox 20+ the stalk has always been fitted to body of the car,but please if i am wrong then please correct me,is this a genuine belt for the 740 or has it been taken from a smaller car.. re sunnyvic Disabled register VOC
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 22:59   #6
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Tim, I recently bought a 940 with a box of seat belt parts - belts, brackets, washers, sockets. All the part numbers were different: some are for nearside, none for off, some are grey, some black, all have different part numbers, shapes, finishes, and none are what I want: a correct black retracting drivers reel!

I've discovered that the only way to get the right part is to quote the part number, and be aware that seat belts are handed, and rear won't fit front, so the numbers differ for each seat.

If you have the correct part number for the socket, Braydon in North London may help with the part, or www.lakes4volvo.co.uk.
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbeaumont For This Useful Post:

Tags
740, seat belts