Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Brake Pads

Views : 652

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:24   #1
owoods

Default C70 Brake Pads

Hi
Just collected my car (2007 C70 D5) from a Volvo dealer as the roof mechanism went wrong. Upon collection they have advised I need new brake pads. I said I would carry out this work myself once the warning light comes on -- I was then told that the C70 doesnt have a warning light for pad wear?!

Now I find this very hard to believe given Volvo's safety features and even my old basic Renault's and Peugeot's had this facility!

Can anyone confirm if this was just Volvo trying to get me to book the car in with them or if indeed the C70 has no pad warning light?!

Thanks
owoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 10:49   #2
toxophilus
Anti-Social Genius

Have you tried looking in the manual and identifying everything on the instrument panel?

I must admit that I don't know if my V70 has a warning light (I always go off the state of the discs and replace everything at once). But I have noticed that none of the Volvos which I have owned (a 1997 S70, A 1999 S40 and my current 2000 V70) had sensor cables running from the pads.

Both my 2000 Fiat Bravo and a even a 1988 Peugeot 309 GTi which I owned had pad wear warning lights!!

toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:25   #3
owoods

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I checked out the manual and sure enough it doesnt mention anything about pads/linings - the nearest i can get is a "brake circuit fault". I guess i should take a wheel off and look for the sensor cables.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:03   #4
faffi
Motorcyclist

Pads cost rather little, discs rather a bit more. Once the pads wears through, your discs are basically gone. Also, thin pads means more heat is generated into the brake fluid, causing quicker water absorbtion in hard use and enhancing the chance of it boiling.

In other words - if in doubt, replace the pads
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:45   #5
owoods

Yeah, i've ordered them. Just a little surprised that Volvo invest millions of pounds in safety and they don't fit such a basic feature as a dash pad warning!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 13:44   #6
faffi
Motorcyclist

Perhaps they believe in preventive maintenance? I don't know, but if the vehicle is regularly serviced and the pads checked every wheel change, I wouldn't expect worn pads to come as a surprise to anyone.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote