Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Online connectivity options- without Sim

Views : 2489

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 14:11   #1
spudmaster
Brand new to Volvo

Question Online connectivity options- without Sim

Hello all- hoping you can help.

I have had my ex-demo V90CC for a few weeks now and absolutely loving it. However, the car does not have On Call, and therefore no SIM option. As such, I am having to use the Sensus Connectivity capability by tethering through my I-phone using Personal Hotspot.

I now leave hotspot permanently switched on with the phone. However, I still need to tether it manually each time I restart the car by going into the hotspot menu of my phone until it flashes up as connected. Whilst a bit of a first world problem, it is a pain. Normally I forget to do it, and it is only when I need it (i.e. traffic updates on long journey); that it is too late / dangerous to do whilst moving.

So- a couple of things:-
Is there a simple way to set up so that the car will auto-tether with my hotspot?
Is there a way to get it tethering via USB, as 9 times out of 10, I plug in my phone for Apple Car Play?
Is it possible to have a SIM retro-fitted?
Any other options to consider?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Spud
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 15:02   #2
Georgeaa

It should be possible to tether using Bluetooth internet without having to tether manually. I'm not familiar with the menu options on cars without On Call, but the option should be under the Communication -> Bluetooth Devices. There should be a checkbox for "Bluetooth Internet Connection"
Georgeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeaa For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 15:39   #3
xc902018

Smartphone integration: I think that when connected via apple carplay you also have internet to the car (via the USB to the phone).

Otherwise it's wifi-hotspot in the phone (as you tested) and the bluetooth variant as well. I think that these get disabled if you connect via apple carplay.

Note: I have not tried any of these 3 methods since I have VOC and a separate sim-card as well so before going ahead and buying stuff please have it confirmed...

Did some research before buying my car but it only led to a higher level of confusion.
xc902018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xc902018 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 15:49   #4
apnicolle

If you have an iPhone then it is not possible to automatically connect the hotspot. As you have found it has to be done manually each time you start the car. Which is a pain.

Android phone users can automatically tether their hotspot but that does require some technical know-how apparently. And of course you need to like Android.

CarPlay may be the easiest option as you have it, but again in my opinion that comes with too many other limitations (no other devices can share the internet connection, Sensus apps are flakey at best and won’t connect at all this way many times, and the flow of Sensus is lost).

I asked about having the sim retrofitted when looking at cars and was told that it is a factory fitted option and is more than just a modem - some other communications modules as well presumably for VOC.

You might be stuck with having to connect manually each time...
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apnicolle For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 19:36   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnicolle View Post
Android phone users can automatically tether their hotspot but that does require some technical know-how apparently. And of course you need to like Android.
Actually, tethering via Bluetooth on Android requires no more knowledge than any other connection method. Once set it is remembered forever, the same as standard Bluetooth for phone operations. I get in the car and the data(internet) and phone connections are made automatically without me doing anything.

I tether as opposed to using a dedicated SIM in the boot for 2 reasons: a) I have a 16GB per month allowance with my phone contract and b) I get a 4G connection via the phone as opposed to the 3G connection via the inbuilt modem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 20:26   #6
Zeus001

I have an iPhone and am able to connect to hotspot automatically via Bluetooth,
I originally had the same issue as you and had to connect manually each time but found the following to work.

Initially set up Sensus Conectivity using WiFi, input password and connect manually.

Leave Hotspot on all the time in iPhone settings.

In Sensus Conectivity menus turn off WiFi and turn on Bluetooth connection.

When you restart Sensus it should now connect automatically to the Hotspot via Bluetooth connection.

This has worked in my XC90 hope it helps.
Zeus001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeus001 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 19:45   #7
Peter Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnicolle View Post
If you have an iPhone then it is not possible to automatically connect the hotspot. As you have found it has to be done manually each time you start the car. Which is a pain.
As long as you leave portable hotspot left on in the iPhone settings and use Bluetooth internet connection (not Wifi) in the car settings it will connect automatically every time.

Discovered this by accident.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Lee For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 20:44   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudmaster View Post
Hello all- hoping you can help.

I have had my ex-demo V90CC for a few weeks now and absolutely loving it. However, the car does not have On Call, and therefore no SIM option. As such, I am having to use the Sensus Connectivity capability by tethering through my I-phone using Personal Hotspot.

I now leave hotspot permanently switched on with the phone. However, I still need to tether it manually each time I restart the car by going into the hotspot menu of my phone until it flashes up as connected. Whilst a bit of a first world problem, it is a pain. Normally I forget to do it, and it is only when I need it (i.e. traffic updates on long journey); that it is too late / dangerous to do whilst moving.

So- a couple of things:-
Is there a simple way to set up so that the car will auto-tether with my hotspot?
Is there a way to get it tethering via USB, as 9 times out of 10, I plug in my phone for Apple Car Play?
Is it possible to have a SIM retro-fitted?
Any other options to consider?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Spud
On Call has a built in SIM which you cannot access , The SIM holder in the boot on the Right Hand side is the general Wi-Fi SIM which connects your car to the outside world .. You can also connect to a home Wi-Fi router if in range .
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 15:24   #9
adambsmith

My XC60 seems to have stopped automatically connecting to the internet via my iPhone which is paired to the car via Bluetooth. Same method as mentioned earlier in the thread.

The car does not want to seem to display text messages received on the iPhone either.

Any ideas?
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 15:38   #10
MCV60
Master Member

This, my V90 has stopped auto connecting the way mentioned previously. Pity as it worked well for all of 2days.