Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What and when was your first touring caravan?

Views : 4383

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 00:02   #21
Cento16v

I remember my parents 1st caravan in 1991 when I'd just turned 4, it was a Cavalier, that had glass windows and a foot operated water pump, my dad had a 1.8i Sierra Azure which was pretty much brand new I think (H reg?)

Then they had a Abbey Suffolk and then a couple of Bailey's until they stopped in about 2003 when they decided they didnt use it enough anymore.

Then I bought my 1st, a 1988 Compass Omega 360 in 2012 just to see if my Wife would like it, and swapped my 1984 Porsche 924 for a 2003 406 V6 Manual (great car btw)

She enjoyed it and we ended up having our own family so we have a 2006 Ace Aristocrat 4 berth now and a 2005 S60 SE 2.0T.

It's amazing how habitable modern vans are in the cold, and how comfy they are, I looked at getting a new Bailey Unicorn but it didn't feel like a caravan should to me, if that makes sense, it was too modern!
Cento16v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cento16v For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 02:48   #22
c_lee
VOC26332

Thanks for the replies everyone - there are some interesting reads there.

My backup towcar is the Vectra GSI 2.5 litre 194 BHP V6 which I bought and used as a get me by towcar when repairing my V70 auto box.

It tows really well, better than my 140 BHP V70 - but it is SO thirsty when towing ~ 24 MPG, and that is how I do most of my mileage of recent years.

I doubt a similar power V70 petrol towcar would be much better though.

We wouldn't be going to the South of France whilst towing with the GSI.

Since I completed my V70 autobox repair a few years ago the Vectra has been SORN'd and it's such a pity as it only has about 45,000 on it and I know the history.

Never previously had a car with such a low mileage and that tempts me to keep it.

I also keep it whilst wondering what financial, or other, penalties diesels will incur in the future.

But it has been stood garaged now for about 3 years and I sometimes wonder what to do with it.

After all I'd probably buy another V70 if mine failed or if diesel penalties became excessive.

Anyone want a 2.5 V6 Vectra GSI boy racers car - they ( erm ) apparently have a following - the GSI MSD's?
It goes like the clappers.

Colin
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 12:54   #23
Brankster

Our first caravan was a Compass rally. We had recently bought a new Kia Sportage and without really looking into it we thought we would put a tow bar on it and off we go. Our first trip was about 50 miles and we had an iffy snake moment on the motorway and when parking i could feel the car was under a lot of strain. When we got home we knew the car was not suitable so went and changed it to a Honda CRV and lost most of our 5k deposit. We loved caravanning so much we sold our caravan within a couple of months and bought a great Hymer Nova which we still have and love. The Honda was decent as the caravan was 1500kg fully laden but decent wasn't enough. It just didnt have the guts to make a long distance drive comfortable. Changing gear every 10 seconds. Hardly even in 6th gear. So we got a XC60 D5 215 and it tows like a dream. Spent a lot of time before opting for the volvo but glad we did. Wont be long till we are back on the road again.

Last edited by Brankster; Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:59.
Brankster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brankster For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 11:58   #24
davidedwinleroy
DELBOY

As a nomadic construction engineer in the 1960s, I and most of my colleagues lived in old (even then!) caravans on site compounds. Coke stoves with flues through the roof, gas mantles, fold down bed out of the wall, foot water pump and gas ring for cooking. Water taps and site toilet blocks made life easier. Didn't matter much because our lives were spent working or in a local pub. Great adventures, great times. Just look at any current big construction project today and you will see that the only thing that seems to have changed are the 'vans. Caravanning is now a hobby and a different world from those times. We are off again to the coast day after tomorrow.........
davidedwinleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidedwinleroy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 08:03   #25
green van man
Premier Member

1989 sprite alpine, the first with plastic windows, 10 foot long and table doubled as front bed which had to be made up each night. Rear top stretcher bunk was missing as a shelf had been fitted to accommodate a fridge. Foot pump water and battery lights, NO battery charger so that came out of the shed when we went away.

Decided the bed making was too much faf every night so baught a 2004 bailey vendee, luxury on wheels in comparison. Problem we found was the fixed bed ment having to climb over the inboard body to get to the loo, as age progresses these loo trips become more and more frequent. There is only so many times one can stand having their legs knelt upon twice per trip.

Island bed coachman vip was a non retirement present to ourselves. Yes if I retired we would have more time to go away in the van, however if I retired we could not afford . to go away in the van. Even club's sites are £10 a night plus the cost of getting there, and the bills don't stop because you are away. I fortunately have generous holiday allowance and while working the finance to enjoy them to the full.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 00:31   #26
Quacker
Premier Member

Mine was bought new in 1989 I think. Can't remember the brand. It was quite a long twin axle van and ideal when my daughter was a toddler. It had a bed area right across the very back, which we fitted a cot side to the alley to pen her in. She loved it.
Never had time to do it justice but had four or five years of occasional use out of it.
Sold it to a friend, with whom we're coincidentally having a weekend break at Malvern, starting tomorrow. In a hotel though. He had a BMW X5 at the time, with a removable tow bar. On his third outing, his wife had gone to run the London Marathon and he travelled later with the van. Within three miles of home, on the way there, the hitch fell off his car [must have not locked it properly] and the van hit a hedge and was written off.

We have never replaced it and stay in hotels since then, but his family has actually bought a reasonable size of self propelled thing, although they won't be using it this weekend. There's 20 of us going in total.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 12:23   #27
WUMPSTER

got my first van a few months ago 1995 swift Challenger 480se one owner van with movers and solar fitted stabiliser hitch towing it with my 1992 940 2.3 non turbo and it pulls it ok lovely van to tow very stable going to be out with it all year round off out again mid november to north wales

Last edited by WUMPSTER; Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:27.
WUMPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WUMPSTER For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 21:41   #28
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

sprite 400 .earl 60s was our first bought t one but used father inlaws sprite alpine. owned two thomsons after that. but now we travel in style and comfort with an eldiss odessy 4 berth ,,, how times have changed.
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lyron For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 12:39   #29
Cento16v

Didn't know if I had any pics of mine but clearly I do!

Day I picked it up!

I eventually put new vinyl on it, repainted the badges, new carpets and bathroom floor and it did us great for a couple of years!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20181109-WA0001.jpg (113.0 KB, 8 views)
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 12:42   #30
Cento16v

New ones a bit bigger!

I can't recommend a 50 mile jaunt across the single track roads of the North Yorkshire moors in the snow either!

Won't let me upload pic, appears it's too big!

Last edited by Cento16v; Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:52.