Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 has no dash lights and won't turn over key error

Views : 1312

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2018, 19:11   #1
Moz88

Default S40 has no dash lights and won't turn over key error

Hi lads
I'm new to the site
My S40 2007 2.0 diesel comes up key error turn the key and nothing happens other than key error I bypass the starter motor and it starts in limp mode but still no wipers indicators no dash lights won't charge.
IV changed the CEM and the steering lock and the ignition barrel checked the wiring to the ignition all fine. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same fault or a fix .
Thanks in advance moz88
Moz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:28   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz88 View Post
Hi lads
I'm new to the site
My S40 2007 2.0 diesel comes up key error turn the key and nothing happens other than key error I bypass the starter motor and it starts in limp mode but still no wipers indicators no dash lights won't charge.
IV changed the CEM and the steering lock and the ignition barrel checked the wiring to the ignition all fine. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same fault or a fix .
Thanks in advance moz88
"changed the CEM" - explain please? That part cant be just "swapped" from another car, has to be cloned to properly work. If you are currently on "swapped" CEM that may explain the "nothing works" issue.
Key error is 99% times connected with ignition module being faulty (SCU =- starter control module) - it doesnt recognise the RFID chip and doesnt allow car to start. That part CAN be just swapped from another car.
Other possiblity is that car has lost the key code - I heard it may happen on diesel models when battery is long-flat , car kinda "forgets" the code and needs reprogramming.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 18:15   #3
Moz88

The car still starts when I power prob the starter. I unplugged the ECU and the exact same faults. And some times the steering lock makes a noise so I think the CEM is ok what do you think
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 10:58   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
The car still starts when I power prob the starter. I unplugged the ECU and the exact same faults. And some times the steering lock makes a noise so I think the CEM is ok what do you think
Not sure, Im confused by your explanations.
If steering column does "bzzt" it means steering lock is disengaged upon detecting a correct key. It should also mean that when on POS2, all dash lights should work, wipers etc - does that happen?
THEN if you go to POS3 - starter - does error comes up or whats happening?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 17:53   #5
Moz88

The steering lock only makes the noise some times not all the time. The car has nothing regardless of the key positions other than key error but put a live to the starter motor and it starts in limp mode. i don't think it's the key or the CEM. Does the ECU tell the CEM what to do or tell it it's one to turn on?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 19:23   #6
Hoochienoballs

Sounds like the ignition switch, just had same with my v50. Put key in and nothing happens, steering lock doesnt come off and key error message.
Hoochienoballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 08:35   #7
Moz88

IV replaced the barrel and still the same
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 09:23   #8
Moz88

I'm thinking of putting an ECU kit on it. What would I need to replace? I'm thinking I just need a key ECU and CEM .
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 18:22   #9
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Quote:
The steering lock only makes the noise some times not all the time. The car has nothing regardless of the key positions other than key error but put a live to the starter motor and it starts in limp mode. i don't think it's the key or the CEM. Does the ECU tell the CEM what to do or tell it it's one to turn on?
Sounds like scl is faulty get vida and look for scl codes

Try this remove steering colum panels gently tap scl with hammer see if it starts
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 11:30   #10
Moz88

I put a full kit on ECU CEM key barrel steering lock and alarm module. All came to life but won't start turn the ignition off and it says 'immobiliser try start again'. I'm stumped now so might just give up and break it shame it's a nice car.