Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Body wobble/vibration under acceleration

Views : 9443

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2017, 19:14   #1
Nick Warwick

Default Body wobble/vibration under acceleration

Hi guys

I recently changed both driveshafts due to my drivers side causing extreme body vibration/wobble at speed. This solved the problems but i now have a very similar problem but this is now only on setting off acceleration.
It will only occur at speeds between 15-25mph and then disappear. Ive recently noticed one of my front top mounts knocking too which I'm suspecting isn't helping.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

My first thoughts are either suspension related or engine mounts, or even driveshaft gone defective?

Mileage is on 149,000

Thanks
Nick
Nick Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 09:34   #2
Welton
Premier Member

I'd say you'd need to carefully check the tyres for being out of shape, and the condition of the inner rims (buckling) etc.

Engine mounts are another area to investigate.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 09:45   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member

Possibly the gearbox (torque) mount? When I replaced mine for the e-Focus one, the original showed signs of wear at approx 125K mileage.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 19:08   #4
Nick Warwick

All tyres are brand new as of last month, I've checked for any eggs but nothing present.
While i had the tyres fitted i had one of the alloys (now on the rear) repaired due to a buckle.

With this being the D5 engine and its current mileage i do think it would feel a lot nice to drive if i replace the engine mounts. How easy is this? has anyone done a tutorial?

Thanks for the replays
Nick
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 11:34   #5
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I buckled an alloy on my S40 T5 and got shocking vibration between 65-70mph, even when I had the buckle repaired the vibration was still there, although not as bad, it was solved when I changed to a new set of wheels, I don't think they can ever fully get a buckle out of a wheel and even when I had the buckle repaired it took them ages to balance the wheel, so I was never convince they manage to balance the wheel properly
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 13:49   #6
Yobbo
Dave

Sounds very odd, I seem to recall have this issue on my other Volvo (a 2.0D) but at higher speeds than what you're suggesting.

This was rectified by changing the wishbones for new ones as the rear bushes were shagged to smithereens!

And most recently on my D5 it had a bad vibration when at speed, the dealer I bought it from had put a really worn tyre on it and once that was replaced and 4-wheel alignment was done the car now sails smoothly.

In regards to engine mounts - you can inspect the bushing on the top one as it sits above the alternator and timing belt area.

Other one is on the under-side of the engine - from what I gather the e-Focus torque mount does not fit to the D5 engine.

As you say, it could be hammered top mounts - did you get new ones when you lowered the car?

Hope this helps!
Dave
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 19:16   #7
Nick Warwick

Hopefully going ti get the tyres/alloys checked this weekend to rule out weights or another buckle.

I did replace the top mounts for genuine volvo parts but i didn't replace the bearing (at the time i didn't realise it ran one) wish i had replaced them now as they do groan and creek some days.

Tried a few little tests today while driving to work. The vibration doesn't happen in 1st gear at all, this is with taking it up to 20mph in first and still nothing. As soon as you change to 2nd it could wobble but other times it wouldn't.
2nd and 3rd gear seem to be the only gears it will wobble in, sometimes it won't wobble and i can only put this down to very light and even throttle pedal pressure and not flooring it. This does seem to make a difference in how i change gear. More often than not if i change into gear hard it will wobble and this is the same if i accelerate hard.
Also tried to mimic clutch slip/crap clutch control to bring the revs up quite a bit during a gear change but didn't see much difference.

This really does make me think engine/torque mount is at fault. Worst case its the DMF but no bad noises so looks unlikely.

Thanks
Nick
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 15:39   #8
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Warwick View Post
Hopefully going ti get the tyres/alloys checked this weekend to rule out weights or another buckle.

I did replace the top mounts for genuine volvo parts but i didn't replace the bearing (at the time i didn't realise it ran one) wish i had replaced them now as they do groan and creek some days.

Tried a few little tests today while driving to work. The vibration doesn't happen in 1st gear at all, this is with taking it up to 20mph in first and still nothing. As soon as you change to 2nd it could wobble but other times it wouldn't.
2nd and 3rd gear seem to be the only gears it will wobble in, sometimes it won't wobble and i can only put this down to very light and even throttle pedal pressure and not flooring it. This does seem to make a difference in how i change gear. More often than not if i change into gear hard it will wobble and this is the same if i accelerate hard.
Also tried to mimic clutch slip/crap clutch control to bring the revs up quite a bit during a gear change but didn't see much difference.

This really does make me think engine/torque mount is at fault. Worst case its the DMF but no bad noises so looks unlikely.

Thanks
Nick
Annoying that it seems to only present itself a certain resonant frequency, you're right though - at worst it could be the DMF.

Best case scenario - knackered front drop links, but then you'd hear it over every bump and scar in the road.
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 19:04   #9
Nick Warwick

Drop links were new with the top mounts and coilovers, they seemed pretty sound when i replaced the drive shafts.

One think i did notice was when i removed the passenger driveshaft was that when using a bar to remove it, the whole engine moved on its mount a fair bit and easily. Which would be the closest mount to this area?

Thanks
Nick
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 08:19   #10
Yobbo
Dave

http://www.caarparts.co.uk/Engine-Pa...006/Parts.aspx

Fairly comprehensive list of mounts and bushes here.

I'm still yet to come across a diagram for the D5244T13 engine so besides the the top engine mount I'm not sure where the others are located.

Though I do believe there are gearbox mounts underneath and also on the top side of the engine.

The top engine mount is easily visible to the left of the alternator, you'd be able to see if the bush was knackered easily enough.

I'd be leaning towards gearbox mounts at the moment (while conveniently ignoring the DMF...).