Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 1.6 d2

Views : 2347

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 20:48   #1
Badwolf

Default 2012 1.6 d2

Hello folks,

I've just bought my first Volvo, a 2012 '62' S80 1.6 D2 SE Powershift with 97k on the clock. I was a little hesitant to go for this as the engine, on paper at least, looks too small for the size of the car. But a quick test drive and reading reviews helped make my mind up.

I'd appreciate some feedback from real world owners as to what I can expect in terms of refinement, performance and economy.

Many thanks!
Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 15:20   #2
Billggski

I've a 2015 V70 D2 with that engine, and find it fine for most needs. Five up with two roofboxes to the alps with no problem at 55mpg. Two big labradors in the back love the space, loads of extras and has been perfectly reliable.
The engine is one of the most widely used diesels in production, in bmw minis, citroens, fords and so on, and the previous engine, the 16 valve, was very dependent on proper servicing or the oilways could get blocked. I've seen three cases reported of cracked engine blocks after overheating. There may be more, but millions have been manufactured.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 20:52   #3
Badwolf

I've heard that these engines can be problematic and I've been advised to disable the DPF.

How on earth do I do that??
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:17   #4
Billggski

Sounds like the usual "friend of a friend told me".
The older 16v had problems if not serviced properly, and some still get confused between the two engines.
No dpf is an MOT fail.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 22:59   #5
fifthwheel

Is this engine the little Ford/psa Dv6 ?
fifthwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 15:01   #6
Petey80
Premier Member

I have the D2 in my V50.

Decent little engine to be honest. Moves the car well enough for me.

Depending on driving style/roads etc. you can get from late 40's and above mpg wise.

As long as it's well serviced you shouldn't have many issues.

The DPF system is none serviceable, unlike the older/previous 1.6 diesel - 16v with 5 gears - which is serviceable along with Eoyls/DPF fluid top-ups.

The only DPF related issue I've had with the D2 is corroded pressure pipes that come from the DPF and up to the sensor on the side of the battery.
Also had sensor wiring issues, which have been fixed and I've had no further occurrences of limp mode.

I had an injector replaced the other month and everything else has been mechanical stuff really.

As previously mentioned, engine is pretty decent if taken care off and has been used in 1000's of different cars.

The only way to "disable" the DPF is to have it's innards removed and all the software relating to it erased from the ECU. But, if you use the car appropriately, you shouldn't have any DPF issues really.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 19:30   #7
Badwolf

Thank you, Petey80. Very helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to Badwolf For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 23:29   #8
ROB HOUSTON

Default DPF Break Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
I have the D2 in my V50.

Decent little engine to be honest. Moves the car well enough for me.

Depending on driving style/roads etc. you can get from late 40's and above mpg wise.

As long as it's well serviced you shouldn't have many issues.

The DPF system is none serviceable, unlike the older/previous 1.6 diesel - 16v with 5 gears - which is serviceable along with Eoyls/DPF fluid top-ups.

The only DPF related issue I've had with the D2 is corroded pressure pipes that come from the DPF and up to the sensor on the side of the battery.
Also had sensor wiring issues, which have been fixed and I've had no further occurrences of limp mode."

I had an injector replaced the other month and everything else has been mechanical stuff really.

As previously mentioned, engine is pretty decent if taken care off and has been used in 1000's of different cars.

The only way to "disable" the DPF is to have it's innards removed and all the software relating to it erased from the ECU. But, if you use the car appropriately, you shouldn't have any DPF issues really.
Just read the above post. Slight caveat, if the DPF is removed, look forward to an MoT failure!

I Have a 2007 C30 D4164T. Glow plugs and DPF just replaced (2nd mortgage). Talking to the mechs, they suggested that you shouldn't do short refills, ie: go for a full or half tank of diesel instead. Reasoning was that each time you put fuel in, the Canbus sends a pulse to the additive tank (if you have one). Too much additive over a short period can cause the DPF internals to break down.

The circuit diagrams obviously show Canbus links. However, without info on how the program/s work, it's just conjecture.

Anyone got any firm data on this, please?

Rob H.
ROB HOUSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 11:04   #9
DonaldD

Default 2012 1.6 d2

I've got a C30 R-Design 1.6 D2
The engine model is D4162T which is a PSA model which is the 8V one.

You can check the engine model using the vehicle VIN
Position 6- 7: Engine Code
84 = D4162T

Sitting at about 104000 miles.
Mostly motorway journeys (more than 1 hour commute) up to 90000 miles.

It's been a great car so far.

Only problem being the dual mass fly wheel replaced at 90,000 miles. Did the clutch at the same time (approx £750 including labour).
Average 52 mpg

For the last year most of my driving has been a 10 mile commute so short 20 minutes at below 40 mph driving. Not sure if this has meant the DPF has not regenerated.

I've just started to see a "Reduced Engine Performance" warning and plugging in a generic OBD reader with the Torque Pro android app is showing P2002 - Powertrain Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Threshold bank1

My understanding is that the DPF is a combined catalyst DPF and is supposed to be changed at 75,000 miles ?

I'm looking at replacing the DPF/Catalyst with a third party item BM model BM11163H if the diagnostics are accurate. Cheapest I've seen it is about £350.

Might be coincidence but I recently put a towbar on for a bike carrier and not sure if the electrics are interfering with the Canbus (ECS dedicated kit VL-014-DXU) so first port of call is to unplug the towbar electrics and investigate further.

Links
DIESEL CAT & DPF
https://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/catalo...1163H/1205324/

VIN
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...olvo/VIN_Codes

Towbar dedicated kit
https://www.ecs-electronicsuk.co.uk/.../vl014dxu.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
Hello folks,

I've just bought my first Volvo, a 2012 '62' S80 1.6 D2 SE Powershift with 97k on the clock. I was a little hesitant to go for this as the engine, on paper at least, looks too small for the size of the car. But a quick test drive and reading reviews helped make my mind up.

I'd appreciate some feedback from real world owners as to what I can expect in terms of refinement, performance and economy.

Many thanks!
DonaldD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 11:25   #10
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldD View Post
I've just started to see a "Reduced Engine Performance" warning and plugging in a generic OBD reader with the Torque Pro android app is showing P2002 - Powertrain Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Threshold bank1

My understanding is that the DPF is a combined catalyst DPF and is supposed to be changed at 75,000 miles?
I would first check the pressure pipes and see if they are corroded or blocked. I would also advise to try and find someone with Vida or get hold of a copy for yourself as it's invaluable when it comes to checking your Volvo.

The DPF is a NON serviceable item on the D2 so doesn't need changing at 75k.

The old D4146T 1.6D is the one that needed changing at 75K with fluid top-ups at 35k.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote