Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360GLT Power Steering

Views : 3667

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2019, 23:32   #1
tallboy123

Default 360GLT Power Steering

I have a 1983 360GLT but find the steering a bit too heavy for an old man! I bought a power steering rack and pump from a later car but I need a three-belt crankshaft pulley to drive the beast apparently. I tried one from a 240 but it doesn't fit the crankshaft...
Does anyone have clue about the variants of pulley in use? My garage tells me that the existing pulley(two-belt) fixes with three bolts and/or a centre bolt and that there may be a three-belt version?
Any advice appreciated.
This is the second GLT I have owned, the first back in the 90's that was a D reg I think.
tallboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 08:09   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You will need a different UJ, track rod ends and track rod arms all of which are no longer available.

Have you tried running the tyre pressures slightly higher?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 16:54   #3
tallboy123

Default 360 GLT PS conversion

Thanks for that...I have all the steering parts including those that you mention...but the correct pulley to drive the pump seems elusive. Increased tyre pressure helps, but if I can have proper power steering it will make the old girl so much more driveable.
The Following User Says Thank You to tallboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 21:46   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I will see if my brother will send me a photo of the pulley on his 360 as it has power steering.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 23:14   #5
tallboy123

That's very kind of you! Thanks.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:51   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

That's alright, I have asked him and he said he would... still waiting so I have just reminded him.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 13:21   #7
SteveP
300 Maniac

Which model 240 did you try the crank pulley from? Your early 360 GLT will be fitted with a B19E engine, it could be that the 3 belt crank pulley you tried from a 240 was from a B200/230 series engined car and the crank is different.

I suspect you'll want to source a 3 belt crank pulley from a 240 equipped with a B21/23 engine and PAS - assuming they exist?

There are some aftermarket sources producing aftermarket lightweight crank pulleys if you're not able to source a good used example, for example here: https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar...-8v-3spar.html

Would be worth dropping them an email to check it will fit a 360, the only potential issue I could forsee is if the pulley is deeper than the original as there's less clearance between the pulley and radiator surround panel in a 360.

Last edited by SteveP; Nov 4th, 2019 at 13:27.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 21:27   #8
tallboy123

It's taken me a while to study what you have said and look into it, and I do think that you are spot on correct about the engine type. I see a pulley on eBay said to be for a 240/740 that is a three-belt and looks to be the correct fitting but I'll check with my garage man before buying because they're asking £55 just for the for carriage from California and I don't want to get it wrong. Meanwhile, I'll follow your link and see what happens!
Thank you so much for your time and effort. Much appreciated.
Terry
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 21:29   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy123 View Post
It's taken me a while to study what you have said and look into it, and I do think that you are spot on correct about the engine type. I see a pulley on eBay said to be for a 240/740 that is a three-belt and looks to be the correct fitting but I'll check with my garage man before buying because they're asking £55 just for the for carriage from California and I don't want to get it wrong. Meanwhile, I'll follow your link and see what happens!
Thank you so much for your time and effort. Much appreciated.
Terry
why not check at a volvo dealer ?
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 21:34   #10
tallboy123

Default 360 GLT PS conversion

I'll add to my reply having looked at the site you directed me to: the critical measurement is lining up the belts; so that this lightweight job would have to be the same front to back as a standard pulley; but, as you say, easy enough to contact them to find out! This is exciting stuff!