Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 T4 98y No idle; EFI-256

Views : 560

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:16   #1
Endorphin

Default S40 T4 98y No idle; EFI-256

Hello colleagues.
So the car is S40 t4 98y with a lot of things repaired in 3 months up to now.

When starting the engine for 1st time after finalizing the fuel system, I noticed there is hiss-ing sound from one of the Quick connections to the Fuel rail lines. In a bit of a positioning it better it spilled a bit of petrol and it stopped hiss-ing. The petrol spilled right on the cable branch for the Coil cables and on one of the Engine ventilation hoses i suppose.
To check whether i fixed it, I powered up only the fuel pump with additional cables, and the Car battery wasn't connected then. The Fuel pump cables however were. (external fuel pump)

When fixing the hiss-ing connection, at attempting to start the engine once again it had no Idle.

So not it shows EFI-256, after driving a bit is showed also front and rear O2, but i think i know why.
About EFI-256, i checked the engine relay and it is working fine (although i don't know exactly why it is for).
I replaced the Idle Control Valve (first cleaned mine, it didn't changed the situ) and with the replaced valve, when i Delete the Error code it revs a bit (to 3000rpm) and the light comes on on the dashboard and it drops again.
It actually has an Idle which is arround 500rpm, the vac at this Idle is still -0,7bar (on boost meter). When I remove one of the vaccum hoses, it goes up in rpm to arround normal ones. So it needs more air i guess.

When driving, from time to time without changing the position of the throttle pedal, it runs like i did pressed it, and then again goes to normal. So it engages the Idle Control Valve i guess, because when it happens, the vaccum in the Inlet Manifold also drops, so - it has no other possibility to get the air insite the manifold.

Not too short, but ...
Diagnostics and Error codes readouts made with Delphi.
I have also VolFCR, but I dodn't had the exact computer then.

So it had previous problems with Coils cables.
Can it harm smth when externally powered up the Fuel pump, and can the fuel make some problem on the cables - what to look for?

I found one thread rather actual, but it doesn't have a conclusion
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287353

Excluding the poor Idle and the error code, the car runs fine.

Last edited by Endorphin; Nov 11th, 2019 at 10:20.
Endorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:34   #2
Endorphin

It is EFI-254, not 256. My bad.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 06:54   #3
Endorphin

Somebody to know how this Error code is generated atleast?
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 10:53   #4
Endorphin

The problem was - me, to put external power supply to the Fuel pump, causing the ECU to burn a track in the circuit board.
So the attached is how it is fixed (temporary, but for 6months still no issues so far).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize_1.jpg (294.4 KB, 8 views)