Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate Won’t Open.

Views : 1161

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2019, 16:34   #11
volvo again
Master Member

...wondering if it's possible to fit the interior handle from a scrappie...
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 17:14   #12
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

^^^ No idea on that one. It appears that the actual ‘release lever’ on the outside has broken. Maybe the ‘rod’ that lets the catch release has come detached from it.

The annoying thing is that the ‘release lever’ is held on by two internal nuts. One is accessible, the other is cunningly hidden by the rear window wiper’gubbins’

Looks like that will have to be removed to see exactly what’s come astray.

However rain stopped play for today a little after lunchtime....
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 15:00   #13
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Slow progress on this one..... yes I took the wiper motor off in order to get to one of those nuts. But once I’d removed the motor and said nut, the ‘release lever’ was still solidly in place. Seems like it was glued and bolted in place. So it looked like I needed to replace the whole ‘unit’ that houses the release lever & number plate lights....

The bit that goes here^^^^ . Needless to say, if you remove this whole piece, there is no need to remove the wiper motor.
So once that was off, I found that a plastic part that did the ,’releasing’ had snapped inside , not the usual wiring issue for me....
I put out a plea for a replacement part & sourced one in Croatia of all places. Tho in graphite grey.... which I thought wouldn’t be too bad.
I agreed on the 15 euros, and got it sent. Then after agreeing I got a message on here saying that one in the correct colour was available, lol.
Ho hum.
Anyway the one from Croatia landed here in France on Friday. It needed the wiring , from the number plate lamps transferring along with the rubber seals. This is as far as I’ve got. It was a right fiddle getting the big seal to go on too!

Bottom is the original unit, top the ‘new’

Then with the electrics and seals moved over to the ‘new’ one. Which in this pic is now the bottom one.
You can see the difference, the old one has no manual lock behind the cover, just a blank so relies on the central locking. The ‘new’ does have a lock in place. That said , I don’t have the key for it
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 12:06   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

Belts and braces. Can you attach a length of tough string or wire to the actuating mechanism or rod that you can route out of the top of the trim? That way, if it works, you could give it a sharp tug to release your lock. You could make the tugging end neat with a small rubber ball or a leather loop.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 16:46   #15
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Well it’s finally done:

It works too. Looks a bit like it’s got a moustache now, lol.
I didn’t try your idea Derek, if this one does fail, I can just lever out the ‘disc’ that I cut out and open it with a pair of plumbers pliers.
It did feel a bit ‘stiff’ to start with, which was probably why it broke in the first place. I gave the whole release mechanism a spray with silicone left it a while and it’s much better.
If I’d of noticed it getting stiff , could of saved myself a whole load of hassle....
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: