Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R-4012 radio removal

Views : 1183

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:10   #1
Wonderbadger

Default R-4012 radio removal

Can anyone help me to stop swearing at my 340 radio? I'm thinking of fitting a small amplifier with bluetooth hidden away so I keep the original look but can have something other than radio 4 on the AM tuner. Unfortunately I've lost my radio removal wire so resorted to various other tools. I can get at the catches and move the radio half an inch forward at which put it jams on something and I can't get it any further. Had the same problem when I did have the removal tool and gave up. There must be a trick to it somewhere bit so far I'm stuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_22092019_090812_(640_x_480_pixel).jpg (99.8 KB, 9 views)
Wonderbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:55   #2
Wonderbadger

A little more persuading and it's now out, turned out to be the anti vibration springs on top of the unit getting stuck behind the metal panel above the radio. Opened the gap using a couple of trim pry tools and managed to defeat the springs by sliding 2 steel rulers in from the side to keep them flat.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:20   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbadger View Post
A little more persuading and it's now out, turned out to be the anti vibration springs on top of the unit getting stuck behind the metal panel above the radio. Opened the gap using a couple of trim pry tools and managed to defeat the springs by sliding 2 steel rulers in from the side to keep them flat.
It certainly hinders thieves ! what you need is a nice volvo CR 906 from a 940 or V40 ...
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 14:23   #4
Wonderbadger

I'm not convinced that thieves will be after that radio these days

Got my bluetooth amp on order so will look at putting that in tomorrow, favorite position for that so far is to remove the glovebox light to give space for audio and power cables to come in then 3D print a bracket to hold the amp off a couple of the glovebox screws, modern audio without being on show - well, other than the original awesome speakers which I am sure will sound real hi-fi once they're attached to a better amp
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 15:35   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbadger View Post
I'm not convinced that thieves will be after that radio these days

Got my bluetooth amp on order so will look at putting that in tomorrow, favorite position for that so far is to remove the glovebox light to give space for audio and power cables to come in then 3D print a bracket to hold the amp off a couple of the glovebox screws, modern audio without being on show - well, other than the original awesome speakers which I am sure will sound real hi-fi once they're attached to a better amp
the 340 is not blessed with space to put decent speakers only the 2 6x4 cut outs in the footwells and in the rear pillars by the tailgate ,and also the 4 inch round ones in the door of course . You really need something bigger like 6 inch round . I have a 4 channel Volvo amplifier from a C70 and there is simply nowhere in the whole car it will fit . except underneath by the side of the gearbox ...