Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instrument panel illumination

Views : 1409

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2019, 11:20   #1
Phil Russell

Default Instrument panel illumination

Having solved the water in auto transmission issue (see other post) I came to look at non working reverse lights this morning. Hey presto, they were working but did flicker when the selector lever was wobbled. So, cleaned up the switch (in the selector housing, 2 screws to release the housing cover in the car) as best I could and used switch cleaner to give switch a spray and we will see how it goes.
Then noticed that the instrument panel lighting was only working on one side, right. So a bulb has gone on the left. Do I have to remove the instrument panel to get to it? ... I assume it is a 'plug in' type. Does anyone know the spec? The bulb will be original from 1988.
I wonder if I can get at it by reaching up from underneath, maybe with clock and spare panel removed?
Cheers, Phil
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 18:22   #2
Euroboy

Are you talking about the "instrument cluster" ?
If so, its kinda easy :

You'll have to remove the instrument cluster (its easy really, you can find how to do it quite easily). The bulbs are help on by a bracket that rotates and they are simply pressed inside it. Its easier to change them with the cluster removed as the bracket can be a little bit stuck sometimes.

The bulbs are standard W3W 12V (at least on my car..), cheap and readily available. You can always take the right one out and compare.

The left ones always seems to go first, idk why tho...
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 11:57   #3
Phil Russell

Thanks for the info ... sort of confirms what I expected. Bulbs are ordered and I await a warmer day to do the job.
Cheers, Phil
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 13:07   #4
Bugjam1999
Master Member

You don’t need to remove the dash- remove the carpet above the drivers knees and look up at the back of the instrument panel with a torch so you know what you’re aiming for, then reach up with your hand (in the dark, no room to hold a torch and reach at the same time) for the bulb that has blown.

As above they unscrew with a quarter turn and they may be quite tight if they’ve been there for a while.

I replaced mine with leds from eBay as they give a clearer white light, but bear in mind you’ll lose the dimming function if you do this.

Look at the second photo on this thread that shows the back of the speedo cluster:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-wiring-96247/

The two dark red/brown things at the top of the cluster are the main illumination bulb holders.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 18:28   #5
Euroboy

They can get pretty tight with age - I had to use some force to get mine out. The left one is cramed against the tach/clock and even my thin fingers had trouble getting a grab of it...

Its doable tho
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 21:41   #6
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Yeah the left one is hard to grip - I think I managed to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there to grip that one the first time...
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 16:22   #7
Phil Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
You don’t need to remove the dash- remove the carpet above the drivers knees and look up at the back of the instrument panel with a torch so you know what you’re aiming for, then reach up with your hand (in the dark, no room to hold a torch and reach at the same time) for the bulb that has blown.

As above they unscrew with a quarter turn and they may be quite tight if they’ve been there for a while.

I replaced mine with leds from eBay as they give a clearer white light, but bear in mind you’ll lose the dimming function if you do this.

Look at the second photo on this thread that shows the back of the speedo cluster:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-wiring-96247/

The two dark red/brown things at the top of the cluster are the main illumination bulb holders.

Cheers
Thanks for that. Bulbs have arrived so hopefully I will do the job tomorrow unless it is raining.
Out of curiosity and for future reference, the LED bulbs: are they a direct swap with originals or did you have to solder new holders in place etc?
Cheers, Phil
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 13:29   #8
Phil Russell

Default Help

OK, offending bulb and holder is out but the bulb will not come out of the holder and looks different to the original ... plus it looks as though the 'legs' are soldered into the holder.

Any ideas?
Holder has 12/3 halogen Osram w865 on it

Cheers, Phil

Bulbs found ... 12v 3w B10D

Why oh why could not Volvo get the owner's manual right? I bought bulbs as specified there ... clearly not updated from previous models?
Thanks again

PS ... yes, cluster just released on retaining screws, no need to remove completely..

Cheers, Phil

Last edited by Phil Russell; Nov 22nd, 2019 at 14:17.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 19:49   #9
Euroboy

Hmmm, weird...

The smaller bulbs are indeed soldered to their holders but the illumination bulbs shouldnt...

Could you send us any pics ?

I wouldnt trust Volvo's manual too much, Volvo was famous for using left over parts... The wiring can differ from car to car also, plus some shady mechanics/diy-er may have done a weird repair...

I can't help much on that, Ive never had any problems on my 88, its been left untouched really (idk if this is bad or good tho... wasn't taken care of for sure but at least I have an original non modded car)
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 20:27   #10
Phil Russell

We have had car since new, demonstrator so the only shady person is me. Neither of the two panel illumination bulbs have gone before. The user's manual shows a picture of a bulb designated as w2.1x9.5d and it is a wedge (?) type 12v 3w that pushes in and pulls out of a holder. But the illumination light is a 12v 3w B10D for a pcb. I can only assume that the first bulb was for an instrument cluster that had a mechanical, cable driven, speedo. Ours is the electronic version. By smaller bulbs, I think you are referring to the panel warning lights that appear at the lower edge of the cluster? These are like a slightly smaller version of my panel illumination lights that are integral with the holder and are removed by a quarter turn. And the rating is 1.2w, not the 3w of the illumination light.
Bulbs should be with me mid next week.
Cheers, Phil