Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 starting issue

Views : 2437

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2019, 20:11   #1
Aaronpkelly89

Default S70 starting issue

Good evening everyone.I have a late 1997 Volvo s70 2.5
Diesel automatic with an awful starting issue. The car will
not start without an absolute battle. Takes at least half an hour to
Start, if it even starts. However will run perfect once started for as
long as you like. Then when you switch it off, the problem returns.
Usually a fully charged battery will drain during these attempts to start. I have had my mechanic look it over and he is at a loss as to the
definitive reason for this issue. He thinks the timing is off and does not feel comfortable dealing with this incase the situation is made worse. He has never worked on any volvo and has always said timing issues are the one thing he wont touch. Please find attached what his fault machine found with car switched off.
EFI-718 code is his worry
Thanks for any help in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191129-201251_Messenger.jpg (188.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Aaronpkelly89; Nov 29th, 2019 at 20:14. Reason: Mistake
Aaronpkelly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 21:12   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

You've got the codes but ideally you need a mechanic/technician who would be able to methodically work through the possibilities associated with each of the codes. EFI-122 and EFI-718 can both cause starting issues, but there are a number of things that you would need to check to either rule them out or confirm them as potential suspects. I could give you a list as long as your arm of causes of the symptoms you are experiencing, but you need a fault finding strategy and access to the proper technical information that will allow you to work through the diagnostic procedures associated with the codes.

It's also worth mentioning that not all starting issues will generate fault codes, but they are always worth investigating.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 21:36   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

When it's in "not starting" mode, try to find out what's missing, fuel or spark - or both. This will help rule out a lot of things, there's only a few things that can make both go missing, and if it's just one of them then you've got a route to follow.

When I say "fuel" I don't just mean fuel pressure at the rail, but is it actually firing the injectors too?

For example, both missing could easily be CPS or cam sensor, apart from the ECU itself there's not a lot else will do this.

Just one other thought - does it fire for a few seconds and then die? If so, this is a classic symptom of the immobiliser antenna around the ignition switch barrel going faulty, which means the car is immobilised but will still crank. It's usually caused by bad contacts on the antenna, pretty easy to clean up and fix is free. Sometimes you need to replace the antenna, but it's cheap and easy.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 00:20   #4
Aaronpkelly89

Hi folks, the car struggles for ages and occasionally it basically comes as close as you can imagine to starting but not actually starting. To the extent you think it is going to start but doesn't. The car sounds healthier and highly likely to start but does not. Then you try again for an eternity but it's just cranking. Theres 240k on this motor so perhaps it could be the ring on the barrel....that would be great. I have a bad feeling that it will be some deep hidden disaster though. Dan it's a pity I wasnt in Belfast to ask you to look at it. Thanks for any help folks
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 00:37   #5
Aaronpkelly89

Is this the part that may need cleaned / replaced? Are all petrol and diesel s70 and v70 immobiliser Antennas the same? Or are they specific to certain models
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191130-003755_eBay.jpg (387.5 KB, 14 views)
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 00:45   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It's the D5252T diesel engine so I'd suggest it's highly likely to be a pump timing issue. I'd agree with your mechanic when he says it's likely to be a timing problem. If it were the antenna ring it would probably fire up fine and then die almost straight away.

The question is what's causing it?

I'd suggest checking the state of the cambelt, tensioner and harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley that drives the aux belt)and the injection pump belt, tensioner and idler. If these seem OK I'd check the dynamic pump timing.

The pump timing is critical on these engines and it doesn't need to be out by much to cause poor starting and smoke.

It's almost certainly nothing to do with the glow plugs should this be suggested.

Do let us know how you get on.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi SE Auto 225,000 miles

Last edited by Martin Cox; Nov 30th, 2019 at 00:51. Reason: extra information added
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 01:05   #7
Aaronpkelly89

Thanks martin for your input.....the car was quite smokey the last time I successfully started the car although this soon cleared. I assumed this was because I'd spent so much time trying to start her up though
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 05:03   #8
PNuT
MaDMaN

Pump timing! without question!
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 07:20   #9
dingov70
Master Member

Morning, your issue is retarded injection timing . It may be loose crank damper allowing sprocket to move ( which is very bad news ) cam belt stretching ( same again ) or pump belt stretching .

The symptoms are definitely without fear incorrect injection timing , Oh and is mechanic changes cambelt make sure the diamond coated washer is fitted ! ! ! !

Mine had not been ( previous owner ) damper worked loose , sprocket sheared woodruff key & valves got kinks in their stems .

Mine was a total arse to start until pump timing was bang on , Good luck
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 08:51   #10
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronpkelly89 View Post
Is this the part that may need cleaned / replaced? Are all petrol and diesel s70 and v70 immobiliser Antennas the same? Or are they specific to certain models
That's the badger, yes. Sorry about my previous post, I didn't notice that yours is a diesel. If it fires for a second or two and dies then antenna is still a suspect, but as others have said pump timing is a hot favourite on a diesel.