Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 starting issue

Views : 2427

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2019, 19:01   #11
Martin Cox
VOC Member

As Dingov70 says, the worry is that something has altered the timing by allowing the camshaft timing to alter relative to the crankshaft. This will take the pump timing with it. If the camshaft timing gets too far out, the valves will hit the pistons which gets expensive.

The crank bolt which secures the vibration damper to the crankshaft is a single use bolt and must never be reused. A new bolt MUST be fitted whenever it is disturbed. A genuine Volvo bolt, or one from any reputable aftermarket supplier will come with the diamond washer already fitted. Should you or your mechanic find this bolt is loose you can't just tighten it up again; it must be replaced. It's also VERY tight; 160NM + 180 degrees

If all is well on the cambelt side of things, then the problem is likely to be that the pump timing has shifted relative to the camshaft. This is much less serious since there's no great risk of damaging anything.

The main thing people sometimes find difficult about setting the camshaft timing is that there are no timing marks as such. It's not actually too difficult to do and there are a few good guides on how to do it and some useful videos on Youtube.

Something that may help your mechanic is that the D5252T engine is basically an Audi AEL engine with some Volvo specific modifications but setting the camshaft timing is the same process for both.

Assuming the camshaft timing is correct or has been put right then it comes down to setting the pump timing relative to the camshaft. Fine adjustments are made by altering the idler and tensioner positions on the injection pump belt and coarse adjustment is made by moving the injection pump drive belt pulley relative to the camshaft.

The pump timing is usually measured dynamically with suitable software but it can also be done with a dial gauge. If your mechanic has software that will read the pump timing it should be a straightforward operation.

If I as an average amateur can manage to do it, then a trained experienced mechanic shouldn't have any great difficulty. However he's wise to be cautious since there are one or two potential pitfalls for the unwary.

Hope this is of some help

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 07:54   #12
PNuT
MaDMaN

When I changed my first cambelt on one of these I investigated this bolt, I ended up buying one via a VW garage and it was the first one they had ever sold....

I have never replaced one since!

10+ years on I have never had one come loose.....
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 12:07   #13
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Most interesting. Looking at the bolt one is inclined to think 'How on earth can that stretch?'

Maybe we're just over cautious. However compared with the cost of the cambelt, pump belt, tensioners and idler it wasn't a lot for the bolt so I elected to replace it anyway when I did mine.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 19:19   #14
Aaronpkelly89

Thanks everyone for all your help....at present I am no further forward
but just to rule out a possibility, I ordered a fuel injection pump relay. Seller assured me this item will be suitable for my diesel s70 1998 model. However I glanced under the bonnet and I am not sure where it belongs. Could it be that is for a petrol model only? Attached is what I have bought and what I am looking at. Many thanks for all the help.....it is a nightmare that Haynes do not cover the diesel engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191206-181556_eBay.jpg (79.0 KB, 6 views)
Aaronpkelly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 19:22   #15
Aaronpkelly89

Above is what I ordered and below is what I am looking at....thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191206-182257_Gallery.jpg (156.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191206-182243_Gallery.jpg (173.2 KB, 9 views)
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 05:37   #16
PNuT
MaDMaN

They don't have a fuel pump in the tank, only the high pressure pump under the bonnet.

seriously don't change anything until you have had the timing set!

Do you know the history of the engine?

Has the cambelt been changed?
Has the fuel pump timing belt been changed?
has it always done this?
for how many miles?
has it got worse?
have you let anyone loose on it?
does it sound right when it is running?
What colour smoke at idle?
Does it smoke lots under heavy acceleration?
does the exhaust smell when running?

these things will help to rectify the issue

Last edited by PNuT; Dec 7th, 2019 at 05:43.
PNuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 23:54   #17
Aaronpkelly89

Hi there, there is no history with the car at all....previous owner had it all its life and stated that he has no idea what's been done over the years. So zero history on belts etc. I know this is something that would put most off but I had to have it.
Got her started today and she smoked for a short time before clearing....smoke wasnt very dark and didnt smell bad. Took her a spin for a while and she drove well ...only smoked when I planted the car at high speed and revs for a short time....that smoke was quite dark but cleared when I took the heavy foot off.
My mechanic reckoned it didnt sound the best but attributed this to the timing issue. Mechanic putting me in touch with another man that is familiar with these cars who will hopefully overhaul the timing for me.
Have I wasted my money ordering that relay then?
The strange thing is.....car seems to start much easier with a fully charged battery and jump leads on to another car before turning the key. A bit of a struggle but gets there. I dont know if this is a coincidence.

The owner assures me there where never any starting issues till car went for its mot test...car drove in fine and when test was over the car would not start again. Never an issue with starting till the mot test ended.

Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 23:56   #18
Aaronpkelly89

Car ran without any issue today once started
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191207-150300_Gallery.jpg (193.4 KB, 5 views)
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 08:45   #19
PNuT
MaDMaN

OK,

So it sounds like it mainly a timing issue, when they jump a cam belt tooth they sound like an absolute bag of nails! but that is not to say the cam timing is out as most don't seem to reset the cam position when changing the cam belt and in my experience it makes quite a difference to how quiet the engine runs!

It sounds like it may have skipped a pump timing belt tooth when it has been smoke tested it or what ever they test when revving the F*** out of the engine for while moting it!

Ideally you would be best to change both belts but you may want to start by changing the pump timing belt first just so you can be sure that is the issue....

There is some info here on changing the belts etc https://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/3r...-injector.html the main bit to remember is the cam shaft isnt keyed so you can move the sprocket on the cam if the adjuster pulley isn't giving you enough adjustment.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 13:36   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

Timing issues not withstanding I would get the battery checked and make sure it's good/very good. Diesels need lots of amps and I think the diesel has a larger one than the petrol models. A petrol size one might have been fitted?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote