Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

14' S60 D4 Engine stalls & Bouncy clutch

Views : 1239

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 09:18   #1
Calli

Default 14' S60 D4 Engine stalls & Bouncy clutch

I got the used 2014 S60 D4 181HP 2.0 4 cylinder diesel from Volvo selekt 3 months ago and I had this issue happen to me once already about two months ago.

First time it happened, I came home after a 40km trip, got back into the car to drive to a shop, I engaged first gear (slightly uphill) drove 2 meters slowly letting out the clutch as usual and I was on flat ground now and the engine stalled - and it kept "restarting" e.g. first there was some mechanical noise and then it sounded like it tried to start but wouldn't. Like you would in an old car where you turn the key for a few seconds and try again but it sounded slightly worse.
I pressed the start/stop button and the car started normally.
Weird thing is, the clutch pedal was very 'bouncy' immediately after this event - it would bounce back very quickly so I had to apply a lot more pressure than usual otherwise I would stall.
The issue either went away after I was done with work or the day after, quickly enough.

The same thing happened to me this morning though, 2 months later after the previous event, but this time it was after driving 20km and at traffic lights.

I saw the 2011 had a recall due to a software stalling the engine when there was 1/4 fuel left thinking the tank was empty, maybe it could be a similar issue here? I did have 2 bars of fuel left, I usually have at least a 1/3.
Come to think of it now, the range showed 245km yesterday and showed 290km today and only dropped to 280km after a 35km trip..

Last edited by Calli; Jun 26th, 2019 at 10:43.
Calli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 15:29   #2
mbrain

Diesel fuel filter not being changed on time (every 2 years/36k) caused a stalling problem on my XC60 VEA 181 Auto. Only happened at low coolant temperature.

It was a weird fault that has never occurred since the fuel filter was replaced!
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 15:38   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Another Selekt success story! Shouldn't you just take it back to Volvo and complain?

The only time mine had a problem with stalling/restarting/rough running was when the EGR valve stuck open. But no obvious clutch weirdness.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 15:21   #4
Calli

I was going to take it to Volvo but the issue didn't happen since then..
I keep my fuel tank above 1/4 at all times, not sure if this was the culprit or not.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 15:44   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calli View Post
I was going to take it to Volvo but the issue didn't happen since then..
I keep my fuel tank above 1/4 at all times, not sure if this was the culprit or not.
There may have been a stored diagnostic trouble code.

Maybe there was a bit of soot that jammed the EGR valve but then cleared itself?
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 18:58   #6
Calli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
There may have been a stored diagnostic trouble code.

Maybe there was a bit of soot that jammed the EGR valve but then cleared itself?
Wish I knew. I feel like if I take it to the dealer now, they won't find anything. I might just get it to 1/4 tank and see if this happens again.

Last edited by Calli; Aug 25th, 2019 at 19:15.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 13:36   #7
Craig S

I had frequent issues with the car stalling just before the dreaded EML came on for the EGR/Cooler issues.

The typical scenario would be after a decent drive, coming into town, stopping at a set of traffic lights, the Start/Stop kicking in, and after the restart as I went to pull away the car would start to move then just stall.

The only way to avoid it was to make sure the revs were over 2k when I started off
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 14:04   #8
Calli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
The typical scenario would be after a decent drive, coming into town, stopping at a set of traffic lights, the Start/Stop kicking in, and after the restart as I went to pull away the car would start to move then just stall.
It went down exactly the same way for me, except that it happened twice - 2 months apart.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:09   #9
Craig S

Well I had one of the strangest experiences yesterday, which makes me think either the egr/cooler is blocked again, or the inlet manifold pipe is partially blocked.

After weekend of driving 150 miles or so, I had taken the car to work and on the way home stopped at a set of traffic lights, and the start stop kicked in. The traffic lights went green, I dipped the clutch, and the engine started, as i went to pull away the car began to stall, so I dipped the clutch before the engine completely died.

Once the clutch was dipped, the EML came on, and the car never quite stalled but essentially went into a loop where it was surging and then almost stalling again, but feeling like it was running on 2 cylinders, even with the clutch dipped it ran like this for 3 or 4 seconds. I had to switch the engine off and restart and only managed to pull away from a stop by keeping the revs over 2000 as I was pulling away.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 19:02   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
Well I had one of the strangest experiences yesterday, which makes me think either the egr/cooler is blocked again, or the inlet manifold pipe is partially blocked.

After weekend of driving 150 miles or so, I had taken the car to work and on the way home stopped at a set of traffic lights, and the start stop kicked in. The traffic lights went green, I dipped the clutch, and the engine started, as i went to pull away the car began to stall, so I dipped the clutch before the engine completely died.

Once the clutch was dipped, the EML came on, and the car never quite stalled but essentially went into a loop where it was surging and then almost stalling again, but feeling like it was running on 2 cylinders, even with the clutch dipped it ran like this for 3 or 4 seconds. I had to switch the engine off and restart and only managed to pull away from a stop by keeping the revs over 2000 as I was pulling away.
Sounds exactly like mine when the EGR valve stuck open. If the EML came on then there should be stored diagnostic trouble codes.

Tags
engine 2.0, s60 ii