Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 PilotAssist 3

Views : 2887

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2020, 19:09   #1
destone

Question XC90 PilotAssist 3

Who in the UK has managed to get their hands on PilotAssist version 3 on their XC90?
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 08:10   #2
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destone View Post
Who in the UK has managed to get their hands on PilotAssist version 3 on their XC90?
What is the word on it?

2 up from 1 was making something useless into something truly useful. Really takes the effort out of boring motorway drives. But I don’t see them going to next level with this hardware without some dark comedy moments like the Teslas - Volvo could do without that kind of publicity.

Don’t really see what they would improve.
The only thing I would change would be to give driver proper indication that it disengaged. Current chime gets drowned out by road noise and expects you to be staring at the icon on the dash. How hard is it to vibrate a steering wheel or flash the empty useless space between the tach and the speedo that they haven’t found any use for in 5 years.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 08:30   #3
uro1

Well I got a German car so can´t help the OP. But as to Demans questions I can give a short review of PA3.

The most noticeable difference is that now you can use it on curvy roads while that was before only possible with a lead car. Now the car will slow down before a corner depending on how much it curves. And in general it uses quite sensible speeds. Neither to slow nor to fast.

The other improvement is that it now corners steeper bends without the help of the driver. While on PA2 there was a rather low limit for when you needed to "help" the car in a corner it manages now much better on its own.

For the third improvement I do not have enough experience to be sure, but I get the impression that it handles roads with intermediate missing street markings (middle lines on repaired sections) better. I have one section on my way to work where the car would deactivate PA frequently without a lead car but now keeps going. Not sure if that is a glitch or a rule.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 10:30   #4
Deman77
Master Member

Thanks. Not a game changer.
I am still to see a curve on the motorway where I need to slow down from 70. On lesser roads I wouldn’t trust this thing as no margin for error so just diy.
I didn’t realise I needed a lead car but then again on our motorways there is always a lead car. Actually, I’m pretty sure mine works when I drop into empty crawler lane if fast lanes are too choked up. Perhaps mine is a 3. Was it a paid update or automatic software update if you had pilot assist?
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 12:26   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

Afaik, curve speed-adaptation only works on cars with the faster processor that was introduced for MY2019(?).

It wasn't on my mate's MY17 XC90 T8 but is on his MY20 T8. He didn't pay extra for it so presumably it's standard now.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 20:50   #6
Wabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Afaik, curve speed-adaptation only works on cars with the faster processor that was introduced for MY2019(?).

It wasn't on my mate's MY17 XC90 T8 but is on his MY20 T8. He didn't pay extra for it so presumably it's standard now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by destone View Post
How would one know? My 69 plate V90 does what you describe so would that mean its V3?
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 21:17   #7
destone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
How would one know? My 69 plate V90 does what you describe so would that mean its V3?
Maybe a Volvo dealership can confirm if your car has Part No 32259216.

As per https://accessories.volvocars.com/fr...ang=en#ftnotes
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 09:19   #8
Snoodini

I have a MY18 V90 with pilot assist, and have just checked part number 32259216 for my car. The dealer website offers this part number as an upgrade for 713SEK (£62) but is also says it's not compatible with my car. I assume due to the hardware not being powerful enough.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 16:23   #9
Wabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post

Noticed today (when using adaptive cruise on b roads) that my MY2020 r design has the curved bit where it slows down for corners, more when sharper etc.

Nice feature.
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 02:32   #10
destone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
Noticed today (when using adaptive cruise on b roads) that my MY2020 r design has the curved bit where it slows down for corners, more when sharper etc.

Nice feature.
Thanks for the report! Can you confirm that you see a setting similar to this in your Sensus?