Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Member needing a bit of advice.

Views : 1364

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 15:00   #1
malfisher

Default New Member needing a bit of advice.

Hello all,
I have recently bought a 740 GL 2 litre saloon. It seems to be in very good condition body wise, and the engine seems ok too. But of course it is a 1988 vintage, and there have to be a few things wrong. I am currently waiting for a manual on the beast from the library.

The most obvious problems I have are these;
1. none of my panel illumination lights work, all of the little red warning lights, and the switch lights work, but it is pitch black everywhere else. I managed to remove the binnacle today, and checked the bulbs, they seem to be ok, one of them may be blown however.

2. My fuel gauge dont work, well, it does, but the needle only goes to the red block, and refuses to move further. Terrifyingly I was informed by my local Volvo dealer that if it is the sender, this is big money around £160!

3. There is a type of whooshing sound audible when going along, it increases with speed, I am wondering what this could be?

Any help appreciated, and I have to say its a treat to drive anyway, I am just scared it might bankrupt me!

Mal.
Old Sep 16th, 2002, 19:01   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: New Member needing a bit of advice.

A few quick possible answers (but I know you'll get plenty of advice here):

1. Have you checked the panel light dimmer - give it a wriggle.

2. Check this by earthing the sender lead - gauge should go full deflection. Don't think senders cost this much? Some members have had a problem with the voltage regulator or printed tracking on the dashboard console.

3. Sounds like a Volvo - the engine fan blows a lot of air around. Take it out and fit an electric one.

These cars will go on for ever .. enjoy it!
Old Sep 16th, 2002, 19:16   #3
malfisher

Thanks for the feedback,
Im the type that needs plenty of info, so, im glad to hear it! :)

1. I took the binnacle out today, should I do that again and remove the dimmer unit, or wriggle it in situ?

2. anyway, Im going to have to reveal my ignorance straight away, how would one earth the sender wire? Is it a wire located on the fuel tank side of things? I assume it would read as "tank full" when earthed?
Bridge Cross main Volvo agent did quote me around £160, they said the sender is all in one on this model apparently. I would hope there might be a scrap yard nearby in case I do need one or it looks like getting used to the trip meter.

I certainly hope mine does! I really like the motor it looks a treat, and is very comfortable, however, I also used to love diesel landrovers till I bought one! ;)
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 20:50   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

My even better suggestion is for you to contact Peter Milnes, the Club's 700/900 Register Keeper who is a fund of knowledge and help on these models. He usually surfs this bulletin board, but perhaps is on hols. His phone number is on the Club only pages of this web site and in DRIVER.
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 22:52   #5
George Holmer

Does the lights for the speedo and the other instruments work? If so, then the dimmer is probably fine. I would replace the bulbs anyway, they do go eventually and it is difficult to tell if they are blown or not, at least in my experience.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:43   #6
malfisher

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not a member of the Volvo Owners Club however, (I presume thats the club you mean?) so I will have to hope he picks up on my post soon! :)
Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:45   #7
malfisher

In fact, none of the illumination lights work at all, it is total darkness. Only the line of red warning lights at the bottom of the binnacle work, and the switch lights, all else is dark.
Old Sep 20th, 2002, 22:53   #8
stalker740

2. My fuel gauge dont work, well, it does, but the needle only goes to the red block, and refuses to move further. Terrifyingly I was informed by my local Volvo dealer that if it is the sender, this is big money around £160!

Hi, I don't have idea how to fix a problem. My fuel gauge work, but its precision don't satisfy me. So, if you don't want to put a lot of money in this gauge, do like me: Reset a distance counter to zero each time you make a full reservoir. When the distance approach to certain limit, it is a time to refuel. You will see, with the time you will detect very precisely tnis distance limit, taking into account a driving condition.

3. There is a type of whooshing sound audible when going along, it increases with speed, I am wondering what this could be?

are the wheels bearings in good state? in this case the sound will come from one of the wheels, very little probability that they become bad all together.

740 GL,1986, 165000 km
Old Sep 21st, 2002, 09:50   #9
malfisher

Thats pretty much what I am doing at the moment, however, I am guessing that I might get around 25mpg the way I drive it. I try to drive as economically as possible. Also, I have a gallon fuel can in the boot, I have thought of filling it up in case of emergency, but im not sure if its a good idea to ride round for a long time with a full can of fuel in the boot!

Actually, I think it could be a noise from a wheel. When I bought it there was some play in a front wheel bearing, the bloke tightened it up for me, it could be shot though? Also, it has alloy wheels fitted, and I know they can be hard to balance properly. Also, on a left hand lock, something seems to be making a noise too, but not on a right hand one. I'll have to try and get it to a ramp to investigate.

740 GL 137,000