Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

throttle body died - economical repair

Views : 7970

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:18   #1
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Default throttle body died - economical repair

Hi guys, our V70 2.4 NA went into the garage last week for as I suspected the throttle bady – low revs pulsing at idle, stalling when coming to a stop, and more recently the accelerator just would not respond. They gave it a cleanup first time and it worked brilliantly for 2 days. So back it went and now it’s in need of new parts, but they can’t do it because they need the Volvo software to program it.

What is my best options here, I need to get this fixed, I can’t sell the car as it’s knackered and I can’t afford to be putting out money on another car right now... I would appreciate some advice, I have read through the site and understand that I need either a new part and a Volvo testbook equipped garage to code it or maybe some sort of sensor repair? New parts are like 450 on eBay brand new?!?

Thanks
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:45   #2
Jack Spaniel

Well I'm a cheapskate so I'd give something like this a go.

http://tinyurl.com/d7vy8vr
1 x 244
Jack Spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:48   #3
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Then just get someone to code it?

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:57   #4
Jack Spaniel

Yes, buy it, then search for a local Volvo Indie and get them to fit and code it.
Good Luck with that.

Must admit I know nothing about the coding. Is that something that has to be done? Perhaps someone on here can advise about the coding bit?
1 x 244

Last edited by Jack Spaniel; May 18th, 2012 at 12:02.
Jack Spaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Spaniel For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:08   #5
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

if this is about the electronic throttle (ETM) as long as you get one from the same year it does not need coding. The only exception to this is if the car is made after 2004.

Fit the used part turn on ignition without starting the engine and leave like this for 20mins. Turn off for 10 mins then go for a drive using the full rev range the ECU needs to learn the new parts peramiters.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:24   #6
TDIvolvo
Master Member

guys thanks for the help offered so far, I do appreciate it, I have been googling all morning and have come up with a couple of possible fixes.

1. includes trying to get the a contactless TPS to repair my throttle body.

2. BBA reman will rebuild it for £105 exc VAT but they tell me I NEED to go to Volvo for coding. I asked her why and she said the dealer would explain, dealers lines are all busy just now. But that was a get out of jail free moment for her as far as I am concerned. Assuming they take my unit, and rebuild it, why does it need recoded, deathrider311271 do you disagree with this?

Also, if I go and get it recoded now will that make any difference as I have been reading about people saying the recode will increase the band areas therefore the worn bit on the film resistor won't have the same effect?

I hope I win the lottery tonight - I'll take her to the main dealer and say fix please! I'll also buy new doors for my Land Rover!

Last edited by TDIvolvo; May 18th, 2012 at 12:31.
Old May 18th, 2012, 14:16   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

I had the ETM repaired by bba about three years ago and it didn't need recoding as they sent my original back, the only thing I can think of bba are refering to from the dealer is the later software from Volvo that covers up the early signs of ETM failure.

They (The vehicle OEM) claim this new software creates less wear on the potentiameters within the ETM but they are still the same crap design and will fail at some future point - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 19:03   #8
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

As Mike says you need to get the latest software from Volvo before you do anything. I have done 10+ cars with second hand ETMs including my own over 2 years ago now and non of them have needed to be coded to the car unless its a 2004 onwards model. All the cars i have done had the newer software before instalation of the second hand ETM
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:01   #9
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIvolvo View Post
Hi guys, our V70 2.4 NA went into the garage last week for as I suspected the throttle bady – low revs pulsing at idle, stalling when coming to a stop, and more recently the accelerator just would not respond. They gave it a cleanup first time and it worked brilliantly for 2 days. So back it went and now it’s in need of new parts, but they can’t do it because they need the Volvo software to program it.

What is my best options here, I need to get this fixed, I can’t sell the car as it’s knackered and I can’t afford to be putting out money on another car right now... I would appreciate some advice, I have read through the site and understand that I need either a new part and a Volvo testbook equipped garage to code it or maybe some sort of sensor repair? New parts are like 450 on eBay brand new?!?

Thanks
BBA REMAN about £205 inc VAT life time warranty http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

Had stuff do in the past no probs highly recommend
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:56   #10
TDIvolvo
Master Member

OK - thanks again guys.

I am going to look for a secondhand one on eBay then. See how that goes.

About the software update, what if I don't get that done, will it not accept the new part without it? I read somewhere about it opening up the band of view slightly so that when the sensor fails it's less likely to throw a complete wobbly. Is there more to it? My local dealer are being stupid saying they can't do this update blah blah.
The Following User Says Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post: