Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Calling CNGBiFuel !

Views : 9627

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2017, 15:40   #21
Russki

Distributor manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual for cleaning gas divider.pdf (54.2 KB, 33 views)
Russki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 10:51   #22
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Is this a double post? Rather than create a mess, and oen Google can't find, shall we delete and start again?
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 23:56   #23
JeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The factory LPG always starts first on petrol as standard ... you need to investigate the petrol side of it .
I had poor starting on petrol, summer and winter. After repairing my pressure regulator the problems were gone. The broken pressure regulator also caused an over-pressure in my cooling system. Apparently cng leaked int it.
The car runs great now.
JeKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 21:30   #24
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes, they'll often squeal or whine when the diaphragm is on the way out, bu t not always. This causes poor starting and lumpy running at low revs on petrol because the gas leaks making the mixture very rich. And usually hte gas side won't work at all or very poorly.

Hadn't heard of gas goingot pressure the cooling system. Not sure how that could happen. No real route I can think of unless the coolant going htru' the regualtor has bad seals too. Can't see it but possible. Never come across it.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 22:28   #25
Russki

It's highly unlikely for the coolant to go to CNG as there is simply no way for it...
It's possible that coolant that was getting to the evaporator was not hot enough to get the gas evaporate as quickly as needed.

CNGBifuel
I tried to send you a pm, but I can't do that yet.

After cleaning the distributor it seems that I ca get my stepper back in completely. It just coming to the point where I can't push it inside with reasonable force. About 2mm above the surface of distributor.
What will happen if I connect my stepper to the car now? Will it go inside?
Need your advice
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 09:14   #26
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Your post speaks a volume. I knwo exactly what you've done to your stepper, but not to dictate, frankly you can do as you like but if this is your way of working can you see why someone might not be disposed to help you swim, and just think: "Ah, better we can let this one drown."

Especially when you've already moaned that other solutions on non-UK sites meander to over 60 pages, and still you can't find answers, and now you want to perpetuate and bring that worthless drek with you to us too?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263803

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 18th, 2017 at 09:34.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 17:09   #27
Russki

The solution was quite simple as the piston of the stepper that goes to the spring is different in size from the each side, so you must be aware what side you are pushing it back to the distributor.

That was a suggestion that it can be a little more sense to have only one thread with all of the information inside instead of dozen more with the exactly same problem started all over again with no solution in the end but angry post from someone because exactly the same thing was happening before and before.

Sorry for disturbing, but I just saw you online and decided to ask for a quick tip rather than search. No need to be upset.

If you still want to know what was happening with my system I can tell that a sticking valve inside of the good for nothing necam vaporiser was at fault and needed replacing. The vaporiser can be changed to the AT09 Tomasetto that is almost straight fit and better design and performance, rather than rebuilding necam distributor and changing a sticking valve all over again.
Stepper motors can be checked if they are operating by measuring it where it should be 50oMhs on two coils inside them.

Even if the bloody motor is dead it is obtuse to change it to another stepper motor even for yours 190 pounds. Because for less you can buy a set from stag that is a straight fit even for a necam vaporiser. Just unplug those injectors from distributor and put them in 4generation lpg injectors. Plug it in to the laptop (software is free) and synchronise it with the petrol injectors automatically.

All of that is written on those "moaned about" 60 pages

As classicswede said on one of his old posts "The best thing you can do is to change the front end"
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 23:23   #28
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
The solution was quite simple as the piston of the stepper that goes to the spring is different in size from the each side, so you must be aware what side you are pushing it back to the distributor.
I alerted you to this in my description on eBay. For the benefit of others piston/plunger, must the orientated correctly. Else, smoke the whole lot by ignoring these words. Equally forgetting the spring washer, this also fries the ECU - control module, because the piston bottoms out too early frazzling the ECU. You are lucky, seems you got away with it.

Quote:
Even if the bloody motor is dead it is obtuse to change it to another stepper motor even for yours 190 pounds. Because for less you can buy a set from stag that is a straight fit even for a necam vaporiser. Just unplug those injectors from distributor and put them in 4generation lpg injectors. Plug it in to the laptop (software is free) and synchronise it with the petrol injectors automatically.

All of that is written on those "moaned about" 60 pages

As classicswede said on one of his old posts "The best thing you can do is to change the front end"
No doubt 'classic' is entirely correct the best way to deal with this is a complete new front end. Remove the Necam stuff. The Necam system works, but I'm sure it can be bettered.

If it can be done for less than £190.00, or even at Volvo prices for a stepper, I'm convinced that is the way to go. I don't love the Necam, only it works and well enough. It runs my car on gas, which is all most of us need. Only from my understanding it's not viable to rip out at the cost and trouble, because it is no half hour job, and costs far more.

When I last asked 'classic' it was a £1200-1400 job to swap out, but DIY, if you can install this lot for even £300 in less than a decent weekend, why not? If so, you're certainly a mean talent. £190 is a miracle.

I don't want to speak for 'classic' and how much he would want, but the man has to eat, and I was under the impression it's more than a day for a pro (2 days?) labour alone + £350-400 of kit. He does this sort of thing all day long, so it'd take most of us twice that.

Unless I have this wrong, there's a hell of a lot more to fitting a Stag or similar over hanging a few injectors and a waving PC at it. See the diagram. A few runs for starters...

Not sure why you'd put a Tomasetto Vapouriser for £50.00 odd with messing about with mounting, and linking/interfacing to the Necam, when you can get a recon kit for a Necam for £35.00, but this is six of one, half a dozen of the othter. I'm sure it can be done. If you were doing the front end then I suppose you may as well.

I for one would like to hear how to do this for even £300. If this really is a handful of injectors, these made off the existing hoses and a PC. Not a 2-3 day job for an amateur after all, please let us know how.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stag 300-6.jpg (214.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 20th, 2017 at 23:33.
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 03:33   #29
Russki

Yes, thank you for the tip in your eBay description. It is really helpful!

If for any reason you want to change your CNG necam system yourself you will have to learn Russian, or at least learn how to translate websites via google. There is not too many people in the UK who will try to mess with the car and lpg. But there is a hellofalot of them in the countries that once were USSR. Anything can be bought online and there is millions of guides online.

I will leave you to this guy https://www.drive2.ru/l/10276962/ who converted his Santa Fe to LPG himself that costed him something just over 400.

Yes, just front kits can be bought there for as little as 100. They will last at best 40k miles. Decent kit for a Volvo 5cyl will set you down for about 170
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 10:43   #30
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

OK, but £170 is still bottom-end. The Stag kit, is far more, and very involved to fit. They all are. The fixes to an existing Necam system can be done in 2-3 hours tops and with the exception of the pricey stepper for under £40.00

A stepper can be fitted in 5-6 mins on my car, and on the post 2000 cars about an hour, becasue it's located so poorly. With practice about 20 mins. You made the point that you'd be better to rip out the Necam, forget any Necam stepper motor, use a Stag kit? Taking time and money out of it, I see the point. Agreed but you appeared to be taking into account the time and costs too. Were you? Please tell us more.

Again:

Quote:
Obtuse is about right, and the software free? If your man with his Sante Fe did that in two hours or for even £200. On;y, even in Russia, seems like 4-5 days work and double the loot.

On my V70, I've got this as £500+ for decent kit, and 2-4 days work for an amateur? And the software is inclusive, but not Free. A pro like 'classic' will do it in half that. But he has increased business rates to pay. ie I'm back where I came in, a £1200+ job for a pro including hardware, or lots of my DIY time.

These things, especially if yours is a custom isntall, alwasy take far longer to do than you'd ever think. I'd do it to mine in a heart-beat, only I can't make the numbers or the time and trouble add-up. I bought my car already done for not much more. So, I'd be doing it to willy-wave, because i can. Not for any reason that holds water in terms of saving money.

How do you do this for less than £190, and quickly because that does make sense. To English or Russian speakers. We'd get our money back quick enough, even on low mileages.

Please explain.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:47. Reason: I like to think I speak English, sometimes, clearly I don't.