Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 Options Laminated Windows or others

Views : 3214

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 21:34   #1
Daveh1000

Default New XC90 Options Laminated Windows or others

Hi
I am currently speccing up options for a new XC90 Inscription. I have decided not to pick the upgraded seats but was wondering about the laminated glass.

Has anyone else tried this and does it make much difference.

Are there any other options people wish they had or hadn't ordered, I appreciate some of therse are personal taste

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Daveh1000; Nov 13th, 2017 at 21:41.
Daveh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 21:45   #2
Jcbrown

Cannot comment on the XC90, but my S90 has laminated windows (was on the car - I didn't spec them)

the previous S90 I had for a couple of weeks didn't have them, and neither did the couple of demo ones I had.

To be honest, I cannot tell the difference, at least on the S90.

the "blurb" says "The glass is reinforced, which provides better protection against break-ins and improved sound insulation in the passenger compartment".

Luckily not had to test their "protection against break-ins", so cannot comment. Maybe they do offer better sound insulation than non-laminated, but I really can't tell.

Maybe they do on the XC90, I know some people have posted about road noise with certain wheel sizes.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 10:25   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

The one option I'm really glad I spec'd is the auxiliary fuel-fired heater as it makes a big difference throughout the winter months. Switching it on via the app or using the in-built timers means you get into a warm and comfortable car and pre-heating the diesel engine makes it quieter. Also, even if you forget to pre-heat you can set it to automatically come on with the engine so that it heats up more quickly.

It's an expensive option particularly now that Engine Remote Start is available but with a diesel you have to run the engine for quite a long time at tick-over to generate any useful heat so your neighbours (and the environment) might not thank you.

The sound made by the aux heater is barely noticeable and doesn't attract attention. My concern with ERS is that if you used it in a car park, say, it might attract the attention of some miscreants who see an occupied car with the engine running and think they can just break in and drive off. This isn't possible but they may not know that so break in anyway.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 12:22   #4
Deman77
Master Member

No perceptible noise improvement from laminated windows in xc90. Definitely get the aux heater.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 12:28   #5
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The one option I'm really glad I spec'd is the auxiliary fuel-fired heater as it makes a big difference throughout the winter months. Switching it on via the app or using the in-built timers means you get into a warm and comfortable car and pre-heating the diesel engine makes it quieter. Also, even if you forget to pre-heat you can set it to automatically come on with the engine so that it heats up more quickly.

It's an expensive option particularly now that Engine Remote Start is available but with a diesel you have to run the engine for quite a long time at tick-over to generate any useful heat so your neighbours (and the environment) might not thank you.

The sound made by the aux heater is barely noticeable and doesn't attract attention. My concern with ERS is that if you used it in a car park, say, it might attract the attention of some miscreants who see an occupied car with the engine running and think they can just break in and drive off. This isn't possible but they may not know that so break in anyway.
It is an offence to even step out of a car leaving the engine running wherever, own drive, road, car park etc. It will also completely invalidate your car insurance.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 12:31   #6
Bernard F

I have had cars with and without laminated glass and never noticed any worthwhile noise reduction howler it’s another safety feature and worth it for that alone.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 12:47   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
It is an offence to even step out of a car leaving the engine running wherever, own drive, road, car park etc. It will also completely invalidate your car insurance.
I'm not sure this applies to cars with remote start. For ERS to work the car has to be locked and even if someone breaks into the car it cannot be driven as all the drive electronics including the gearbox remain locked. Volvo isn't the only manufacturer offering remote start so I doubt if they've all implemented a system that breaks the law. Perhaps it'll have to be tested in court.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 14:31   #8
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I'm not sure this applies to cars with remote start. For ERS to work the car has to be locked and even if someone breaks into the car it cannot be driven as all the drive electronics including the gearbox remain locked. Volvo isn't the only manufacturer offering remote start so I doubt if they've all implemented a system that breaks the law. Perhaps it'll have to be tested in court.
. I would not like to be the one to have to test it.

Rule 123. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 16:23   #9
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
. I would not like to be the one to have to test it.

Rule 123. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.
Lexman's lawyer will say that the he did not "LEAVE" the engine running, he switched it off when he left the car. Is there a rule explicitly banning ERS because this does not?
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 00:14   #10
NewVolvo
VOC Member

We have laminated glass on both the wifes XC60and my Audi. Makes a HUGE difference in the noise levels inside. If you have the B&W sounds its even better! Highly recommended.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote