Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Arduino in an XC90 - who wants to join me?

Views : 3383

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2018, 17:06   #21
danhans42

Hi,

I am pretty new here (Only picked up my 09 XC90 a month ago) and have been itching to get started on something similar.

I used an Arduino Leonardo in my old Audi A4 so integrate an Odroid C2 into the interior CAN network so it could emulate the TV Tuner and capture the steering wheel/RNS keypresses and send them on over USB HID. It also enabled the TV tuner, had a reverse gear output and handled all the power management.

I replaced Arduino + MCP2515 with an all in one solution from Hobbytronics which worked very very well. (http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/leonardo-canbus)

So I am looking to do the same with my XC90, so I can replace the RTI and the RSE DVD player with an Odroid C2.

I have got my old logging code set up on my Arduino, just need to get tapping into the interior can network and am struggling to find a documented place to tap in.

From an experience point of view, my VB is shocking and my Arduino experience is about 3 years, CANBUS I have been playing around with since I had a Fiat Stilo nearly 10 years ago.

From a kit point of view, I have a Arduino Due, Mega, Leonardo and loads of Pro Micro 32U4's

I have the same CAN Shield as you, but dont really use it as its quite big and I have the tiny all in one solution.

Last edited by danhans42; Jan 13th, 2018 at 17:13.
danhans42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danhans42 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 18:00   #22
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Welcome danhans42

I only started logging today, so I am new.
Tonight I start to find some Ids

BE AWARE that the Ids change per MY, but if you have a MY2009, then you will have the same Ids as me, and if we put our heads together we should be able to move forward pretty quick...

I connected to my PAC (Park Assist Camera) connector just below the REM in the trunk/boot on the left hand side of the vehicle.
Means I have a nice flat worksurface for my laptop.
The PAC is unplugged during logging and testing.

If you have no PAC but have the AEM, that is another really good place - it is on the right hand side of the vehicle. I don't have the AEM.

Or you can grab the CAN bus under the driver's seat on the seat connectors. Just don't unplug them, you'll trigger airbag warning lights.

My kit is just for prototyping, once I get the code sorted I'll get some smaller boards to reduce the power consumption...

I also started a blog....
https://hackingvolvoxc90.blogspot.ch/
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 18:33   #23
danhans42

Sweet.

I will have a look in there tomorrow and hook my cirxuit up. Not sure how well it will work with the code I used being designed for 11bit that my older cars used vs the 29.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 20:46   #24
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Well tonight I managed to determine the diagnostic addresses of every module in my car.... a step forwards.... only works with diagnostic commands but its a start.....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 07:07   #25
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhans42 View Post
I will have a look in there tomorrow and hook my cirxuit up. Not sure how well it will work with the code I used being designed for 11bit that my older cars used vs the 29.
Volvo uses extended 29-bit addressing, you need to ensure you address is a long byte
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 10:36   #26
danhans42

Thank you.

Which code are you using as a base? The Seeed examples from their website?

I might need to look in the front of the cabin for the low speed network, possibly try and pick it up from the back of the radio. I tend to log data using a tablet or phone so its better for me to have it up front.

I had a quick look in the rear of the vehicle but what I have there looks very little like the images or other information I have read.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 12:28   #27
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I found Seeed examples were poorly documented.
I used some better documented examples, cannot remember the name, it's all at home on my other PC

As for the CAN-bus, under the driver's seat is the easiest to access without dissembling anything. The power seat controller with memory is on the low speed CAN bus. Poke some probes into the connector to probe onto the CAN bus.
If you disconnect anything, be aware the airbag system will likely complain due to the seat belt switch being disconnected

In the rear of the car you can access the LIN bus on the parking sensor module, or the tilt sensor, but that's no help

So if you have no parking camera you can then access it on the REM, but it might be a bit tight to get in there....
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 15:09   #28
danhans42

Thanks for the information. I will have a look under the seat. I saw the control module under there with the power / CAN wiring.

I might dig out my old ELM327 and have a sniff before I try my own code and the Arduino, at least I know that is an already working solution. Once I have the hook up point correct then I can try and get my code working with the extended stuff.

I bought another Arduino Uno at the weekend to make it a little easier with some of the code examples around.

Thanks (and sorry for derailing your thread with my teething problems)
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 14:42   #29
SwissXC90
Premier Member

One week into my project: here's the status

I can log all the can bus messages
I have identified all the messages and bytes and bits to give status about open doors / boot / sunroof, steering wheel buttons, (except cruise, that may not be visible on the low speed bus....), ignition key status, lock/unlock status, child lock status, reduced monitoring status, and many many more.
(I could build an alarm...)

I have made my first app to light an LED on my Arduino board when the vehicles light switch is in PARK or ON (hey you gotta start somewhere)

I am currently, today, testing the app to make it sound a beeper under the following conditions
  • Key out
  • Lights switch at PARK
  • Drivers door open
Why? Because my neighbors have told me many times that I left my lights on....
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 17:22   #30
SwissXC90
Premier Member

My little app is working beautifully
Beeps when you open the drivers door, with key out, and lights on.
Excellent!

Now to work on sending text to the DIM.....