Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Juddering/skitting on full lock.

Views : 3050

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 15:44   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnegit View Post
Hi.

First post in a while.

Wife's XC 2006 seems to skitter when on tight/full lock. It feels like all the geometry is messed up, got only knows what it's doing to the tyres.

This is mainly felt when turning into a parking space or onto/off the drive.

It's just sailed through the the MOT and it's been doing it for as long as I can remember. Drives perfect at all other times, no fault codes or anything else.

Any ideas?
Yes a characteristic , obviously Volvo wanted as tight a steering lock they could get .. It happens more with tyres that are wider than the std 235 and also when they are worn flat and the tread blocks can no longer flex .
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 17:53   #12
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes a characteristic , obviously Volvo wanted as tight a steering lock they could get .. It happens more with tyres that are wider than the std 235 and also when they are worn flat and the tread blocks can no longer flex .
It is still not a very good turning circle! 11.7m (XC60 MY2016) compared to my previous car (Skoda Octavia) of 10.2m, which never gave this sort of problem. I am finally getting used to needing a three point turn when round in one was possible.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 19:42   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Copy this - more common with winter/all season tyres as the siping makes tread block distortion more likely.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 17:42   #14
tomostrio

Unhappy Volvo XC90 Judders jumps on full lock - * * FIXED * *

Hi All
I had this problem where the XC90 juddered on full lock, also the car felt a bit unsure around bends.
I had both wishbones replaced for genuine Volvo ones and the issue went. The ones I took off are also genuine but it got looked at by 3 different garages and all said the bushes were fine. After replacing them them the garage said they had split inside.
Replacing them will stop this judder and also make the car feel more planted to the road. Its around £500 for the wishbones AND fitting, fitting from an indy. Fitting from Volvo would be a lot more. Hope this helps
tomostrio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomostrio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 22:38   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomostrio View Post
Hi All
I had this problem where the XC90 juddered on full lock, also the car felt a bit unsure around bends.
I had both wishbones replaced for genuine Volvo ones and the issue went. The ones I took off are also genuine but it got looked at by 3 different garages and all said the bushes were fine. After replacing them them the garage said they had split inside.
Replacing them will stop this judder and also make the car feel more planted to the road. Its around £500 for the wishbones AND fitting, fitting from an indy. Fitting from Volvo would be a lot more. Hope this helps
It also does this when the front tyres get worn down flat so that the tread blocks can no longer flex ..