Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Back with an XC70

Views : 1155

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:47   #1
CaptainSlow337

Default Back with an XC70

I've been knocking around here since late 2014. It started with a 2001 XC70 which progressed to a 2004 V70R and now I'm back with a 2007 XC70

I've only just picked it up but its a D5 with the 6 speed auto box. Currently sat on 141k.

First impressions are good. All seems well. Few little niggles to fix, such as the sunroof cover doesn't seem to move freely (off the runners?) and the sat-nav disc is badly scratched. Also missing the bits where the seatbelts disappear into the B pillar.

Have just posted a wanted thread for a boot liner, but if anyone has one near Southampton I'm interested.

XC70 Ocean Race https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234242
V70R https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249162
CaptainSlow337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 13:36   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

LOVE how you provided your Volvo ownership history.

I looked at one 2007 base and the sunroof cover went back and forth with a ratchety noise. The action is normally smooth so what parts caused that sound?
The strong smell of an electrical fire led me to pass on that one. Otherwise perfect!

At 141K you may want to do a trannie drain & fill to see how foul the fluid is.
Decide on what course of action to take then. Either additional drain & fills or a pump out can lengthen transmission life.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 14:17   #3
JGTTDI

That looks a nice example Captainslow. It's the same colour as my XC70. Interested to see how the progress comes along 👍

Thanks Jonathan.
JGTTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 16:52   #4
jgjones095
Master Member

Welcome back (to xc!)
I have the same issue with the sunroof cover on my xc.... let me know how you fixed it

Where's the R gone?

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 08:48   #5
ab2504s

The sunshade is a common problem. There are 4 spring clips that "guide" the sunshade to allow it to move correctly/freely. You have broken one or more of your clips.

The clips look like the one in the photo (or at least this is what a broken one looks like - I fixed mine over Christmas). They have plastic tabs at each end. The plastic cracks and the tabs fall off - resulting in the spring steel legs getting bent (giving rise to the shade not moving freely).

Dont be tempted to operate the sunshade in this condition as once 1 clip breaks the others are a danger of breaking as well.

Dont be tempted to operate the electric sunroof in this condition. The broken clips can mechanically interfere with the operation of the sunroof and if the "tilt" doesn't work you will have a big problem getting it fixed.

Fixing is quick/easy. Tilt the sunroof up at the rear. Gently remove the plastic "accordian" side covers to reveal 4 torx screws. Remove the screws then the glass sunroof panel. Pull the shade into the closed position. You can then see/access the FRONT clips. If you are unlucky you will have a damaged a REAR clip (and access for these is tricky requiring drilling a hole). Be super careful with the Torx screws not to cross-thread them (when I did mine I thought I was being super careful but still managed to damage 1 of the threads).

When the glass is out check that the runners/mechanism at each side is in exactly the same position. Mine wasn't - one runner was slightly ahead of the other one. If this is the case you can recalibrate the sunroof easily as follows. This procedure (found on another thread) works, at least it did on my 2003 V70:

1 Turn the ignition switch to position 1.
2 Operate the sunroof switch to position the sunroof in the tilt position, then release the switch.
3 Press the switch again for at least 5 seconds, so the sunroof closes. The calibration is complete. NOTE; if the sunroof hasn't moved to the correct position, press the switch and completely open the sunroof, then release the switch-press the switch again for at least 5 seconds and fully close the sunroof. the calibration should now be complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (63.5 KB, 14 views)
ab2504s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 08:57   #6
ab2504s

I forgot to mention - there are some good YouTube vids on this. Just Google V70 sunshade repair. This is how I found out how to fix mine.
ab2504s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 12:22   #7
CaptainSlow337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2504s View Post
I forgot to mention - there are some good YouTube vids on this. Just Google V70 sunshade repair. This is how I found out how to fix mine.
Thank you for the info. Will take a look into it.

I'm a bit of a fanny about tyres and I like to have matching all round, especially on a AWD car. Unfortunately my Volvo had 3 different brands on it. Two of the same on the front and a different one on each of the rears. These cars were originally fitted with the Pirelli Scorpion 4 season tyres from the factory and I did investigate replacing them all, but they were coming out at nearly £350 for a set. Given my recent history of changing cars every 6 months I decided to go onto eBay and see if I could find some alloys with tyres fitted, but found nothing suitable.

My search then progressed to 2nd hand tyres but didn't throw up any Scorpions, but did show me a set of 4 Pirelli SottoZero winter tyres for £120 delivered. They had about 6mm of tread all round but the feedback of the company was positive, so I purchased them. Impressively they were couriered overnight from Scotland and arrived this morning. £40 to the local tyre fitter and they are on the car and have made it feel significantly nicer to drive. I plan to use them year round as I can't really see any downsides to this especially when you consider the car. A diesel Volvo estate is never going to set the world on fire, so losing a bit of handling when the temp gets up to 20 deg is a small trade off IMHO.

|https://thumbsnap.com/pOLxXThL[/IMG]

Last edited by CaptainSlow337; Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:55.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 18:54   #8
CaptainSlow337

Having only just purchased it I did the sensible thing and took it from Southampton to Wookey Hole today with zero preparation. 150 miles in filthy weather along the A36 mostly. It was absolutely fine and gave me a good chance to get to know it on all sorts of road.

The handling is a little boaty on corners but the suspension does a good job of ironing out imperfections in the road surface which is an acceptable trade. The engine feels good and strong but is still only averaging 33mpg and the gearbox feels spot on and certainly works with the relaxed nature of the car. I'm struggling with the noise of a diesel having not owned one for many years but as an all round package it certainly works well together. I particularly like the slightly raised driving position along with the seats (did I mention the seats)

On the way home the conditions were challenging and to add to that I had to stop off the beaten track to collect a boot tray from someone. I can certainly see why he has an XC70. He lived right out in the sticks, down narrow single track roads that had been covered in mud and floods from the rain today. You know the kind that if you move too far to one side as passing another car you're stuck! Anyway, boot lining collected and I set off again to be met with a low coolant warning! As soon as it came on it went again. This happened another few times till I managed to find somewhere where I could top the car up. It only needed about 500ml, it was right on the cusp of setting the sensor off, but certainly something to watch.

Anyway, rambling over, no pictures to add as I forgot to take any in the Mendips, but 250 miles down and I'm pleased with my purchase.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 19:01   #9
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

On 16 in wheels you do get that Boaty sensation .I put 17ins on the xc that i have and the Boaty sensation is not there anymore. Something for you to consider if your keeping the car.
Mike
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 19:44   #10
CaptainSlow337

Good to know, thanks. Are the phase 3 alloys a direct fit?