Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone thinking of useing bio-diesel?

Views : 10843

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 00:34   #21
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Where did you hear or read this latest German research ? Can you provide a source please.

I have an S60 with the same EuroIII D5 engine and was told not to use Biodiesel in the car. I have read at this site that some manufacturers are cautiously recommending between 5 and 30% mixes but at this stage they are still unsure of the long-term wear and tear.
Interestingly at this site no diesel Volvo is listed.
It was a link on the honest john website to a New Scientist blog website article. The trouble is there are so many articles I'm having trouble finding it again. I've been looking for about an hour and a half already!! You may want to have a look yourself. It's an interesting read and there is loads of stuff on biofuel. I think the article I saw was on a health blog page. I remember it was down towards the bottom. The articles are listed by a monthly archive.

I'll keep looking anyway.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:49   #22
GMcL
0's and 1's

OK Thanks.
It's something I'm interested in reading about. If you find the link please post.

I know the HonestJohn website is moderated quite heavily and if something is found to be misleading, or incorrect, the link or thread is removed. I've just had a quick scan through the website and there is no reference to "German Scien" to cover science or scientists or "German research".
I did read elsewhere that 100% biodiesel couldn't be carcinogenic as there is no fossil fuel present and extra oxygen was added to make the burn process more complete thereby diluting the emissions further.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Jun 16th, 2007 at 07:56.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:18   #23
craig8661
Master Member

to add to i put my 940 d24t engine onto bio desial first few fills ok new filter etc then started with a run back problem cut story short the bio desial did the shaft seal on my pump my car is in on tues to have a secondhand pump fitted now where i brought the bio from was a small garage now on running cars i have run them on veg oil and desial and never had this prob now it could be due to old seals my car has done 215,000 miles but my 106 had done 240,000 miles and didnt suffer the same
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 13:30   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
OK Thanks.
It's something I'm interested in reading about. If you find the link please post.

I know the HonestJohn website is moderated quite heavily and if something is found to be misleading, or incorrect, the link or thread is removed. I've just had a quick scan through the website and there is no reference to "German Scien" to cover science or scientists or "German research".
I did read elsewhere that 100% biodiesel couldn't be carcinogenic as there is no fossil fuel present and extra oxygen was added to make the burn process more complete thereby diluting the emissions further.
Try looking on the New Scientist web site, even if you can't find it there is loads of stuff on biodiesel. I have looked for another couple of hours without success. Their site is huge.

I disagree about "couldn't be carcenogenic" bit. It seems to be that all burnt organic material is carcenogenic. i.e cigarette smoke, bonfire smoke, burnt toast. etc. etc. It would be more of a suprise if it wasn't. It wouldn't stop me using it personally, but I'd avoid breathing the fumes directly. However there are other issues that do stop me using it.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 21:10   #25
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I've remembered the link on the Honest John website was to something about biodiesel on the New Scientist web site and the link was on a page I was looking at on that web site. I'm afraid it was three or four weeks ago so it's hard to remember the exact page.

I'd treat the report with caution though until it is verified by more than one lab. Bear in mind what happened with the original reseach on diesel emissions from fossil fuel, that said it was carcenogeic. It turned out the research was done using rats!!! The only mammal that can't cough! All subsequent research using other types of mammels hasn't show any link to cancer in mammals, but the British Government based all it's subsequent tax legislation on the original discredited research.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:29   #26
GMcL
0's and 1's

I think what is putting me off Biodiesel is the fact none of the big manufacturers are really pushing it.
A number are coming out with Bioethanol but none are saying buy our car and you can put any grade of Biodiesel in. Even the French are absent and let's face it, if Biodisel was any good, the French would be using it.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 13:23   #27
LankyTim
Missing the point

Part of the problem is we live in an oil based economy and if everyone started running their cars on sunflower oil it would bring down the government.. or something.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 15:47   #28
LittleGreyCat

Now on my second tank of bio diesel.

The car seems to run smoothly, but the mpg is in the lower range of my previous records. I got 31 mpg and I have had 35-40 mpg when driving carefully - however I haven't been very gentle with the 'go' pedal these last couple of weeks.

One thing I have noticed is that my starting problems from cold seem to have returned. It seems to be starting on 5 cylinders again then going to all 6 cylinders after a short while. At least the smoke is lighter in colour and less offensive.

The engine generally feels smoother.

Booked in for a service and fuel line check in a couple of weeks.

I will report back.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 16:07   #29
craig8661
Master Member

to add does your engine make a louder cracking noise when fired up in the morning thats how mine went was more awkward to start had new pump fitted no probs when i get chance will take photos of my mushed seal on the pump that was took of
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 11:01   #30
LittleGreyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8661 View Post
to add does your engine make a louder cracking noise when fired up in the morning thats how mine went was more awkward to start had new pump fitted no probs when i get chance will take photos of my mushed seal on the pump that was took of
Starting from cold it sounds like a load of marbles in a tin bucket, and it mis-fires a lot until slightly warmed up.

It is now taking longer to start from hot as well.

First tank full had some normal diesel left - assume 5-10% - and didn't mis-behave as much.

I am now contemplating adding some normal diesel to this tank to see if this improves starting.

I hope that my pump is not on the way out - a replacement sounds expensive.

How was the fault diagnosed?