Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Don't buy a car from Bournemouth Autobahn!!!

Views : 11000

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:05   #1
Giblets

Default Don't buy a car from Bournemouth Autobahn!!!

Not that they specialize in Volvo's but I bought my V70 T5 from there a month ago and it was a duffer.

For the first (and last) time in my life I bought a car over the phone without looking at it. My mistake, however the worst faults weren't noticable at first anyway. Bournemouth is 130 miles from me and I couldn't get there quickly enought o see the car, which seemed like a bargain (£6995 for a very high spec 52 plate Geartronic car with 84k)

First thing I noticed was a squeaking from the steering column from half lock or more which turned out to be the steering column rubbing lower down. Secondly I noticed that the Surround Sound stereo was only playing out of one speaker but I thought this could be easily sorted once I got it home, which didn't turn out to be the case, and I was curious why my car came with a slightly different stereo to the drivers handbook.

A few days later I noticed that the drivers door lock kept popping back up after locking the car. the deadlocks would work after 2 mins anyway so this wasn't a major problem. Then a couple of times the memory seats started shifting as I unlocked the car, without me pushing anything and I got concerned over the electrics. Finally the next weekend in daylight I noticed some oil on the driveway as I was cleaning her, but put it down to remnants of some of the older cars I had up to last year.

The car was shortly due a service so I booked it into Tony at Independent Volvo Service.com in Letchworth who called me later in the day with the bad news. In short he said I should take it back and demand a refund: Major oil leak at front of engine that would take some time and money to fully diagnose, evidence of a front end repair (possibly the cause of the leak), the turbo wasn't even connected up properly, both headlight bulbs were in upside down and pointing light the wrong way, both wiperblades were shot to bits, and best of all - some idiot had replaced the original head unit with a different one and buggered up the cars software in the process (not a cheap fix).

He said that worst case - the cost of straightening it all out could exceed the value of the car. He had nothing to gain from telling me this, particularly as he cut short some of the jobs as he suggested I just got rid of the car and challenge the dealer.

Rather predictably the dealer claimed Tony (a trained Volvo mechanic of 30 years) was 'talking out his ar5e', and said he 'didn't do refunds'. He 'kindly' offered me to bring it down to his mechanic to have a look at as he didn't trust mine. Clearly I wasn't keen to drive 260miles to have his mate tell me there was nothing wrong with it in exchange for the dealers continued business, so I wrote him a strong worded letter quoting some legal mumbo jumbo to put the frighteners on him.

As his 'Pre Delivery Inspection Check's' are allegedly covered by Bournemouth Trading Standards, I'll be going to them to complain.

With a second baby on the way, plus an imminent house move, I don't have the time or money to push this through the courts (much as I'd like to), so I've unloaded the car in a part exchange on a new Kia (not as bad as you'd think!), as the wife is not keen on me buying another used Volvo.

A real shame as a healthy one would have been perfect for us (fuel consumption aside) it was mega comfy, spacious and fast.

Frankly my experience tells me that buying from used car dealers, you're no safer than buying privately as their warrantees aren't worth the paper they're written on and they clearly employ chimpanzee's to check the car over before they go out. No point paying the extra for peace of mind that won't exist!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:18   #2
wise old monkey
Premier Member

i know your stuck and needed a car quick, its a pity you werent able to get three counties radio to deal with him, there great with people like that.
once they get hold of em they dont let go, you should listen to them some time, 95.5 fm
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:22   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

HI,

Yes, shame you didn't follow though the issues.
Your independant would have happily written a report on the car outlining the issues and a local TS officer would have been through the dealership with a fine knife...

At least you're now happy, but pity the person who picks up your old Volvo...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:24   #4
wise old monkey
Premier Member

the old volvo will probably be in letchworth car auction this tuesday or thursday, the place is a right hole.
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 01:01   #5
felipe Rose

If there is any sort of waranty with the car, these are frequently done through a third party where the dealer pays a fee. Check with the dealer if this is the case and if so try approaching them direct ?

Hope you get it resolved soon. Good luck with the move and the birth.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 01:54   #6
stevo48
Premier Member

Such a shame that you have had a bad experience with the Volvo , they really are a superb family car and if you had bought a "good" one I'm sure it would have served you well. Best wishes with the new baby and the house move.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 13:48   #7
Giblets

Thanks all,

I would have loved to have taken this guy to the cleaners over this, but with the aforementioned issues of baby and house move applying pressure to both time and funds, I felt the priority was to get my wife something safe and reliable to run the family around in, and cut my losses.

It bugs me that some other poor sod may well end up paying good money for it, which probably explains why i was the 6th owner since 2002!

I think the car itself was fantastic, assuming it had no major problems, and I wouldn't be out off buying another Volvo in the future!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 14:12   #8
iceni
I've Been Banned

TBH you must have been off your rocker to buy a car for that sort of money without even seeing it , that said the dealer sounds a nightmare the car clearly wasnt fit for purpose pity you couldnt have takenit farther with trading standards ,there plenty of excellent cars out there just be a bit more switched on next time
iceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:20   #9
keithyboy
Master Member

Buying cars unseen is a dodgy business. I've picked a few up off ebay unseen but only for a few hundred quid where the risks are rather less.
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keithyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 19:32   #10
Giblets

Yeah, a lesson learned indeed.

I must however recommend Tony at IndependentVolvoService.com.

Top bloke - didn't pressure me, didn't try and take all my money, and knows his stuff.

My next Volvo will go back to him for sure.