Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Servicing in South London

Views : 10342

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 16:15   #11
V70RMW
Master Member

I've used Tollbar in Twickenham when my cars were still under the Volvo used warranty. I haven't been back since but go to RTM.....sorry! Depends on where you work but I drive down there first thing, they give me lift to the station (2 mins), train to London (just over an hour and £15.00 single). Usually go back next day late afternoon so all it costs me is leaving work early one day.

Anyway, back to Tollbar, the front office and service reception were great, couldn't do enough to help. The quality of spanner work was variable and I'm not prepared to go anywhere I have to check up on the work afterwards. Following work on the autobox the cover seal wasn't replaced probably and it gradually leaked its fluid wherever I parked. Just discovered that the drive shaft gaitor which was replaced didn't have one of the clips tightened properly - explains the grease all over the place. V expensive too, but probably not much different from other dealers.

Haven't tried the others you suggest so would be interested to hear how you get on.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 16:52   #12
Pilgrim Tim

Thanks V70RMW, that's really helpful.

Your plan about the train seems like a good one and, seeing how highly everyone recommends RTM, I might just give it a whirl. Are they as good with electrics as they are mechanically? My RTI is playing up and wondered whether I'd have to go to a main dealer.

Tim
Pilgrim Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 13:13   #13
V70RMW
Master Member

Not sure about electrics - I've not had problems with them.....touch wood!
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 21:20   #14
sbatchel

Default Dmw

I recently used DMW in Merton for my V70's 8 year service which included the cambelt change. My judgement maybe coloured by the fact that they had trouble with the locking wheel nuts, which with the car being fairly new to me I had never looked at....
Anyway, only one knackered key, no code, and no experience of any other solutions I was hit with £50 per wheel to fix it before the service started.

Being new to the area, I admit that I didn't shop around for the service costs so don't know if what I paid for the service was excessively high, but it didn't feel cheap, particularly with the wheel nut cost on top, and the seperately itemised cost to replace a bulb i mentioned seemed to have an intermitant loose connection, was particularly high.

However, no obvious problems with the quality of the work.
Though we did arrive back in Croydon today on the back of a recovery truck due to what i suspect to be the infamous ETM problem. So I will be trying Doves of Croydon this week to get the hoped for free ETM clean and software upgraded, and will report back on how well they dealt with the problem.
sbatchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 18:44   #15
sbatchel

Default Doves of Croydon

Just got my car back after it went in for investigation of ETM fault.
They didn't offer they clean and software upgrade, just stated that the ETM was reporting a fault and needed replacing.

I didn't argue too much since I had a warranty from the dealer I bought the car from, and hoped it would be covered under that.

Doves dealt with the Warranty company for me, and later called me back telling that (as expected) the warranty wouldn't cover their full labour rates, but would cover about 70% of the overall cost.
So not all bad. I was expecting to have to replace the ETM at some point when i bought the car.
No complaints about Doves, they even put notes on the invoice on the procedure I now needed to follow to claim back the warranty's share, and the car was cleaned and valeted.
Just been for a quick blast around the surrey country side, and all seems well. Even put a young pretender in one one of the early scoobies in his place!

Now to see if I actually get a cheque back from the Warranty Company.
sbatchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:56   #16
MikeSE19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim Tim View Post
Thanks all,

One last bump to ask if anyone has any experience of the following garages:

Doves of Croydon
Tollbar Twickenham
Dean Motorworks (DMW) in Merton
AGH Motors in Wandsworth

Tim
I Used Doves last year for my service, No complaints job done as and when agreed. No problems but then again the job was straight forward so I expected no issues. They advised replacing rear discs but I new they were on the way out so I don't consider this as one of those "Extra's" that often crop up when the car goes in for a service.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 13:02   #17
v8disco

I have a feeling that Tollbar Twickenham have now gone.

I used to use them for parts and the last time I was there, the parts guy said the site was being reveloped.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 21:37   #18
4wheeldriver
Master Member

I bought a complete shed from Doves and their interest in tryin to resolve the issue was nil!!!! Wouldn't go near them with the proverbial dirty stick for a washer never mind anything else. Whole story is here.......

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67315
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 18:27   #19
graym

I was interested in the replies - thanks to everyone.
Living in SW19, DMW are certainly the closest, but I think I will go down to RT and catch the train back into work.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much a 36,000ml service should cost on an XC90?
graym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 20:58   #20
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by graym View Post
I was interested in the replies - thanks to everyone.
Living in SW19, DMW are certainly the closest, but I think I will go down to RT and catch the train back into work.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much a 36,000ml service should cost on an XC90?
Pm Sent

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote