Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 shuddering/cutting out/jerking

Views : 1327

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 13:34   #1
340fan

Default 340 shuddering/cutting out/jerking

Hi, my 1988 340 1.7 starts OK. If I move off it starts playing up, stalling, cutting out. I will drive it down the lane, and it is only happy (i.e. it only actually runs smoothly) with full choke out, this applies all the time, no matter how long I run it for. I have just been out and basically full choke is needed always, it jerks even with this at times.
Any ideas? Could it be the distributor leads? I have a new set, off an MOT failure, shall I replace them, and what about the distributor cap, shall I replace this?
I think the fault is either a fuel flow problem, or an electrics problem, but I am no real mechanic so please reply if you have any ideas about what the problem could be.... I need the car for Christmas!!

PS: Also the speedo is no longer registering the milage I cover, although the actual speed reading needle does work (although it has a lot of play in it). Does the speedo line need oiling, and if so how do I do this?

Thanks very much.
340fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2002, 21:12   #2
crunchie

Default RE: 340 shuddering/cutting out/jerking

I would suggest getting the mixture checked at a local garage. It does sound like a carburation issue. Weber provide a comprehensive service kit for around £30, plus an hours labour at a garage to fit it.

It sounds as though the mileometer gear mechanism has died. it is a mechanical unit and cannot easily be repaired. A replacement instrument panel from a breakers yard may be the answer. Depending on how friendly your local breaker is, this may be fairly expensive. I remember being charged £25 for a Vauxhall Carlton panel a few years back. OUCH

I hope this helps

Crunchie
Old Dec 11th, 2002, 12:11   #3
mossieramm

Default RE: 340 shuddering/cutting out/jerking

Hi, it was only a few months ago when I had the same problem on my 340.
I don't think its an electrical problem, there would be other symptoms as well. It's probably a fuel problem, not enough fuel in the engine. I would check the jets in de floatchamber and the fuel hoses.
I don't know what type of carburettor there is on your car, but I think this procedure is valid for most carburettors.
Remove the top of the carburettor. Be careful when you lift the top of, some petrol might drip out and there is a gasket between the top and the body. You can reuse the gasket. When you look into the carburettor from the top you will be able to see the float chamber. On the bottom of the float chamber there are 2 jets. 1 is for when the car is tikking over, the other is for drive. Check if these are blocked. They unscrew easy enough, beware that the jets might not be the same size, so do them 1 at a time.
Thats what had happend on my 340.
If it turns out to be an fuel problem, I would sugest you put an inline filter in the fuel hose, only cost a couple of pounds. That way you will be ale to almost rule out the carburettor in the future should the problem return.
Hope this helps