Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

more power from my 1.4 340?

Views : 2612

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 18:52   #1
spike4073

Question more power from my 1.4 340?

just wondered if anybody knows of ways to make the 1.4 engine in a 340 more powerful....fitting a turbo ....perfofmance air filters...interested to know about any and all tweaks you may know of...(short of a engine swap).......thanx
spike4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 19:01   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

Given the fact that your car is going to be "getting on" a bit I would imagine the general wear of the engine is not going to make it a feasable project for a turbo, you could fit a performance filter and a big bore exhaust which would make it sound as though it is going faster but the mid range 340's were never built as a performance car.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 19:23   #3
spike4073

Smile

alltho i am aware it is getting on a bit i cant help thinking it could handle a turbo as untill i got it it was owned from new by a pentioner who hardley used it (only 55000 on the clock)...and looking at the service history they realy looked after it ....it is as close to mint as i have ever seen a 340 dl
spike4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 20:11   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

what i'd do is fit one of the later renault 1.4 engines with injection which should bolt in easily. Or use some renault tuining bits , You can convert the engine to the early Renault Gordini 93 bhp specification but these parts are quite rare now . Another option find a wrecked R5 turbo and use the parts from that although the fuel system blowing through a single carb is pretty pre-historic ! but will give you 120 bhp .. also the larger 1700 or 2000 engines from the 400 can be fitted ... The old B18E engine is a cracking 115 bhp 1721 cc engine ..

Volvo did have an R-tuning kit for the B14 in 1981 it was a camshaft , jets for the carb and a bigger front exhaust pipe painted blue , and R Tuning badges it was supposed to give 90 bhp ... but the tappets always rattled ..
Plenty of scope ! however the late 1984 onwards B14 4E was not bad it would do 93 mph ... it had electronic mapped ignition , and electric fan and larger bore twin downpipe to increase bhp to 72 bhp
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 16:53   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

Turbo's really require reduction in compression ratio, oil feeds, custom manifold and so on so it not a simple job. There does seem to be some interest in using small high power engines, but for me the easiest thing to do is get a 360 GLT. The engine will last forever and the drive and other mechanicals are rated for the power. If you still want more power and are capable a 700/900 series turbo engine will fit with some modification.

I did a load of things with my first 340, the best was to replace the rear box with a cherry bomb. The mid section has almost no restriction and is like the cherry bomb. I just got the cherry bomb welded to the old broken bit of rear pipe after the back box had rusted off. The sound was great, better than 360 without a rear box.

Other things like semi-synth oil and Bosch super 4 plugs help it rev nicely.

removing the air filter or at least having a clean one also helps.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 21:02   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

The 360 lump ( 115 bhp GLT ) is heavy and not that powerful , the 1.7 (80 bhp in carb form , 90 bhp with a decent exhaust ) feels quicker to drive ( it will do 105 mph ) especialy the very first 1986 model year they had a high compression engine . Its all about Power/weigh .. You would need a 2.3 turbo for real power which would see off a well developed 1700 ... Then the 1700 would always be more nimble due to its lighter weight . The rubber jointed prophaft should cope if treated with respect , i knew of one witha CVT and renault 5 Turbo conversion , it was seriously quick in acceleration terms I find a 1400 with decent tyres a delight to drive fast on twisty roads and although rolls a touch it digs in and there is plenty of grip and balance . I have heard a lot of people say the rear end slides on 340s , I thought strange as all the new ones i drove never had a problem ,but all the ones i have seen since about 1995 are on budget / unknown make tyres , the correct tyres really make a difference ...

The 360 has a weak link in the transmission too the coupling between propshaft and gearbox input shaft , not sure how long that would cope with big turbo power .

Yes there is a trend now in small high power engines , look out for the 1600 petrol S 80 coming soon ... ( 180 bhp ) nothing new though ,i was running a 998 cc turbo engine in the 1980s for a long time with 175 bhp ...

Last edited by Clan; Jul 19th, 2009 at 21:05.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 01:24   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

Not sure I agree with any of that, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have had pretty much all the models and years as well as driving many of them brand new (but not owning). The fastest of all was the 84 GLT 3 door (lowest weight, highest torque) and certainly nimble when new. As with many sports cars they might tend to get a harder life on the suspension than a 1.7.

I never bothered tuning the 86 1.7 I had, there were plenty of 360s then and they already have wide bore exhausts/lower harder suspension, alloys etc and are bomb proof. The later post 87 360s are a bit more girlie, with lower compression and PS.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 02:39   #8
thealchemyst
Master Member

Smile

just drop a renault 5 gt lump in! yes their old tec but they have huge tuning potential, just be prepared to replace the headgasket! common failiure after tuning.
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 17:11   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

The R5 Turbo wont fit directly as the turbo conflicts with the heater casing . I took great pains using bits from both B14 and Gordini to fit a non turbo early gordini 1397 into my 343 .
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 17:33   #10
thealchemyst
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The R5 Turbo wont fit directly as the turbo conflicts with the heater casing . I took great pains using bits from both B14 and Gordini to fit a non turbo early gordini 1397 into my 343 .
i would modify the heater or just take it out!
or take out the standard heater set up and drop a compact kitcar heater under the dash.
also you could make a different manifold moving the turbo to a more suitable place as you would have to make a custom downpipe anyway might aswell put the turbo where you want it!
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote