Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fog lights

Views : 1240

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2006, 20:35   #1
smartbomb
VOC Member

Default Fog lights

Hi all. I want to get both rear fog lights working on my T4 as opposed to just the offside one. I bought the correct bulb, removed the blanking plate, fitted the bulb, and hey presto!, nothing. I'm assuming this must be a wiring issue, but I've been told by people in the know that it should be already pre-wired. Any advice?

Thanks
Paul
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 20:55   #2
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

I'm in the process of doing the same to my2005 S40 2.0D
The bulb holder is there, etc. etc, but its not wired up.
I'm thinking of just running a wire across from the offside fog light connection, but does anyone know if the fog lights are hooked into the bulb failure circuit in any way.
My thoughts are that they can't be, as its a 'single' bulb as standard, so can't be balanced.
My other thought is that the foglights are 21watt; 2 x 21 =42watt, I wonder how close the stardard fuse is to 4amps?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 22:53   #3
gnhuk
Balding.............

Ah, something I do know the answer to as I've done it though someone on here pointed me at the correct wire.... If you open the cover, inside the boot, for the nearside rear lights there will be a plug (purpose unknown) and a loop of blue wire - nips outside to check - taped together. You will need to tap into the blue wire (a scotchlok will do) and run this to the bulb holder, this does not have a feed in the appropriate slot so you will need a spade connector in the lower row nearest the boot opening. I used a fully encased red one (think this means 5 amp) but had to remove the red casing and this is now a force fit in the bulb holder.

If this explanation is unclear I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them here (digital cameras are wonderful!).
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:07   #4
smartbomb
VOC Member

Thanks gnhuk. Pictures would be great! The thing I don't get is on an old Phase 1, it DEFINITELY is pre-wired, cos I know someone who's done it, but apparently the later phase 1s are different.

Paul
Old May 23rd, 2006, 14:20   #5
gnhuk
Balding.............

Hi Paul,

My car is one of the so-called Phase 1.5's - mechanically a P2 but looks like a P1 and the electrics seem to be a mixture.............

Three pictures which, hopefully, will show what needs to be done.

Picture 1: The light blue wire going to the multi plug on the bulb holder. I added this wire. The loop of darker blue wire which has to tapped is seen above and behind the square connector (I've no idea what this connector is for)

Picture 2: With the bulb holder removed.

Picture 3: Similar to Picture 1.

Picture 4: The connector (still in red coating) on a standard Zippo for scale. These are available loose from Auto electricians for pence - though it is useful to take the bulb holder in with you (the blue multi plug pulls out) to confirm it fits. Once the coating is removed it will fit into the empty position on the multi plug - and seems to stay there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foglight1.jpg (31.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg foglight2.jpg (27.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg foglight3.jpg (77.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg foglight4.jpg (9.4 KB, 52 views)
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 16:42   #6
smartbomb
VOC Member

Thanks Gavin. That's great. All becomes clear (he says, about to electrocute himself)

Paul