Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My volvo is eating brake pads

Views : 768

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 18:33   #1
charlotte001

Ok here goes, ever since I've had my 760 GLE 2.8 auto I have never been happy with it's brake ability. The system has been bled several times discs replaced pads replaced. Today I thought lets have a look at the front to see what the problem was, on removing the wheel I've found that the front calipers have quit on me or they are not even the correct ones for the car as these have two fluid screw inlets (one for each piston top and bottom) The pads have been crushed with the lower pistons punching into the metal backing distorting the pads to such a point the pad material is crushed

I've uploaded some pictures so you can see what I'm on about. My car only has one flexi host as the Haynes and the main volvo Stealer says I should have two pistons but only one inlet. The caliper is a Girling not sure if it's supposed to be.

If anyone has a spare pair of the correct ABS Calipers, from a 760 although the 740 of the same year should fit, please let me know as I will buy them for a sensible price

Charlotte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-08-06_1824.jpg (355.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 01-08-06_1825.jpg (298.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 01-08-06_1826.jpg (349.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 01-08-06_1827.jpg (363.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by charlotte001; Aug 1st, 2006 at 18:39.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 19:34   #2
IC
S60R/V70R

Hi Charlotte, can I ask you to use a normal font that is not in bold please.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 19:59   #3
bb54
diy bhp

hi, try 3 shreaded wheat before you set of on each journey.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 22:27   #4
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Crikey! Yes, you definately have the wrong calipers. I'd guess that only one piston is working per caliper, thus wearing the pads unevenly, damaging the back of the pad and causing poor braking effort meaning you have to brake harder for the same stopping capability thus wearing the pads out even more. Whoever fitted them must be an idiot as that is a potentially lethal set-up - you've lost 50% of your braking ability at the front and so about 33% of the total braking available.

Sorry I can't help on the replacement caliper issue as I feel my wee beastie will need new front calipers too soon, but try Eurocarparts or GSF who have new/recon ones for sale at about £55/60 each or your local motor factors who may be able to undercut them. Failing that Lakes Volvo (01480 212 291) on the A1 at St Neots or Salvo (01159 445 644) nr Nottingham may well have a pair.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 21:48   #5
J..M

Do or did the wheels spin freely before you disasembled things ?

Its quite common for people with abs fitted vehicals to be concerned about braking capacity (I was one) I replaced bloody everything & my brakes could be a awful lot better.....

Still if you have teh wrong bits bolted on ........ Must be a cause for concern ...... Try giving "Brakes International" a call thyeys not the cheapest, but their customer service is brilliant & there spare bits & bobs are great quality
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 22:41   #6
George Holmer

V6 Man is correct, you have the wrong callipers. I would ask the Volvo-dealer, they do a decent exchange scheme, should come in at under 200 quid for 2 new callipers but then you need new discs and pads so looking at 500 quid all in all.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 21:23   #7
charlotte001

Yup you've got it I have the wrong calipers !! I have the ones from a non ABS model..... Meaning dual pipe not single like my car has.

I've spoken to Volvo on this and they're claiming the numbers aren't matching up so it's either Girling or DBS (which I believe is Bendix)

Tried a pair of 940 from a K plate these didn't fit so not sure where to go now.

The wheel was a touch tight, although this would have been to incorrectly sitting pads. Not sure about 3 shredded wheat more like a 10ton wieght on the brake pedal.

Charlotte
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:51   #8
charlotte001

Problem solved Correct Calipers obtained and fitted. Brakes are a little squishy so need to have another look today as I'm wondering why someone would spend a lot of money on a pair of brand new volvo calipers which are incorrect ! Checked Volvo and the pair I had are genuine Volvo each one retails at

£187.00 +vat !!!!!! so that's an amazing £439.45 on the wrong calipers !!! and that's if they fitted them themselves if they got Volvo to fit them it's nearer £600-£700 if exchanged then cheaper by a £100 or so. And still no ABS Light

£500 in total ???? no way Disc's were £35 pair inc vat pads £22.50 inc vat. Calipers £50 inc vat Fluid £5.00 Waiting for the Black Diamond ones to arrive they're only £114.45 inc vat and pads £55 inc vat so considerably cheaper than your £500. Fitted myself so no insane labour charges or garages costs.

Charlotte

Last edited by charlotte001; Aug 8th, 2006 at 08:54. Reason: reply to another post.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:19   #9
740Estate
Undercover 740

Bit belated, but great news 'Lotte! Gl;ad you got it sorted out
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote