Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brakes gone spongy (getting really tense now)

Views : 933

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 18:34   #1
charlotte001

Default Brakes gone spongy (getting really tense now)

Ok calipers amended (wonders will never cease why someone would spend so much money on getting the wrong parts) now the brakes are spongy ! bled the system down and no fluid is leaking around the pistons.

Is there a technique to bleeding Volvo ABS systems I might not know about. If the ABS System is defective I'm right in thinking the brakes will go heavy like no servo assistance (correct if wrong)

Wondering if there is an airlock somewhere in the system.

I know the replacement calipers are working because the front wheels are getting hot and they aren't nipping as the wheel rotates freely when lifted. Oh there is a bleed nipple on the master cylinder found it whilst checking something else (I don't think this is a stock item)

Advice please.

Last edited by charlotte001; Aug 9th, 2006 at 18:41. Reason: addition of text
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 19:56   #2
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Hi. No expert but received wisdom is that ABS can be a bugger to bleed effectively; the advice on here has generally been use a powered bleeding system and keep trying.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, regards, Nick H.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 20:47   #3
bb54
diy bhp

on the 850's you start with the nipple furthest from the reservoir, 3rd, 2nd, nearest.

faulty abs wont make it heavy or spongy, its a sytem for reducing pressure to a caliper/s.

spongy can only be (asuming alls been assembled correctly) ,air in system if spongy when system is cold or hydrated brake fluid if spongy when system is hot.

have you renewed your fluid with a bottle that wasnt new/left open ?
this could cause hydration of the fluid and when it gets hot, boils the water and causes steam/air pockets.
wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 20:59   #4
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
Is there a technique to bleeding Volvo ABS systems I might not know about.
Bleeding the ABS is quite easy, do the rears first, doesn't matter which caliper first, then the fronts, again it doesn't matter which side you do first.

Quote:
Oh there is a bleed nipple on the master cylinder found it whilst checking something else (I don't think this is a stock item)

The Volvo master cyls do have bleed nipples on them.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 21:00   #5
charlotte001

Yes it's a brand new bottle of Dot 4 Synthetic fluid. My feeling is there is an air lock somewhere in the system. I did notice, before it got dark that one of the flexi hoses on the front is expanding just fractionally. Tomorrow I'm going to boot some 5.1 through it and drain the entire system by gravity the re-fill and bleed

Also as the calipers are used would the seals take time to re-adjust to being used ? (forgive this as I've never used used calipers before)

Charlotte
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 22:28   #6
bb54
diy bhp

Quote:
Yes it's a brand new bottle of Dot 4 Synthetic fluid. My feeling is there is an air lock somewhere in the system. I did notice, before it got dark that one of the flexi hoses on the front is expanding just fractionally. Tomorrow I'm going to boot some 5.1 through it and drain the entire system by gravity the re-fill and bleed

Also as the calipers are used would the seals take time to re-adjust to being used ? (forgive this as I've never used used calipers before)

Charlotte
dont think so.

if one flexi hose is swelling, they may all be in a similar state.
id change at least the one hose before continuing.

easy bleed kits are only a £10, they do the job quicker and better.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:00   #7
peteS40

On the off chance some things you haven't thought of, I'll "state the bleeding (no pun intended!) obvious" and say:

- take the handbrake off first
- make sure you pump the pedal to push any air out of the master cylinder before starting
- use pressure bleeder in correct sequence and don't pump the brake pedal between each brake
- could try pushing down on the pedal as well while pressure bleeder connected
- make sure the master cylinder is higher up than everything else (not really a problem unless you are parked on a very steep hill!)
- could try removing caliper and angling so bleed screw at the highest point, since the air should rise to the top i.e where the bleed screw is

I don't think you should have any problems with bleeding the ABS I think they bleed themselves.

But what you ought to do is to bleed it, and then go out and make sure you get the ABS to kick in. Then maybe bleed again. Then at least you've got the ABS to pump fluid through.

Of course, you could have a leak letting more air in.

Anything else like extra flexible hoses, well I can't see how they have an affect on trapping the air although obviously they could make the brakes feel like they need more of a shove.

Pete
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 16:26   #8
charlotte001

All done it turned out that one of the dual pistons had siezed.

Charlotte
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 17:34   #9
turboboy
Master Member

Default For peteS40

Keep the handbrake on (for safety).

On the 740/760 the hand brake is a totally seperate mechanical system working on rear drums, while the hydraulic (footbrake) system is disks all round.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:49   #10
peteS40

Yes, sorry, you're quite right of course... my list came from my own experience and S40 has handbrake operating on the rear calipers.

And I always leave in gear and chock whatever wheels aren't up in air BTW!

Pete