Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does this S40 have Xenon headlights?

Views : 5325

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2015, 09:03   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean94 View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. These headlights are rubbish. They are set too low so you should adjust them up. There are how to's around here somewhere. It's easy, just pull the big pin out of the back and pull the light unit out. You'll see a white adjuster with I think a 6mm Allen key head. Wind them up a few turns to get a better throw of light. If that doesn't do it, try Osram Nightbreaker+ or similar 'premium' bulbs to improve the lights. Pre facelift cars like mine are particularly poor.

Nice car too btw, any other details about it?
Thanks for the advice I'll definitely check that when I get it tomorrow. Any guides on what is considered "too low" and how to go about testing it?

The car itself...

Volvo S40 SE Lux 2.0 Petrol (2009)
  • Cream white leather interior
  • Nordic Oak wood trim
  • Cruise control
  • Heated seats
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Headlamp washers
  • 1 previous owner
  • Full Volvo dealership service history
  • 118,000 miles on the clock
  • £4550 (including putting it through an MoT)

It's going to be a huge upgrade from my 2001 Ford Fiesta

I've checked every inch of this car and got the dealership to put it through an MoT and get anything I noticed fixed (got them to fit a new exhaust bracket, old one was rusting and fix the windscreen washer jets). There's not a single dent on it, the person who owned it before me has kept it in really good condition, it's all clean inside too and no scratches on the dash or anything etc..
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 11:55   #12
XcOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
.......Any guides on what is considered "too low" and how to go about testing it?
Before you trade in your old car, park against a wall and mark it, then when you get your new Volvo make sure the headlights are the same distance away as your old ones were and try to line them up as best you can, or you could always do what I did and go to a local garage and ask them to set it as high as legally allowed as your max setting, then you can lower till your happy with the throw.

I've also emailed you mate.

In other news, that's a nice sounding car mate!

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XcOM For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 12:12   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
Before you trade in your old car, park against a wall and mark it, then when you get your new Volvo make sure the headlights are the same distance away as your old ones were and try to line them up as best you can, or you could always do what I did and go to a local garage and ask them to set it as high as legally allowed as your max setting, then you can lower till your happy with the throw.

I've also emailed you mate.

In other news, that's a nice sounding car mate!
Thanks Also found out it was actually made in 2010 rather than 2009 thanks to you.
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 12:24   #14
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Quote:
Thanks for the advice I'll definitely check that when I get it tomorrow. Any guides on what is considered "too low" and how to go about testing it?

The car itself...

Volvo S40 SE Lux 2.0 Petrol (2009)
  • Cream white leather interior
  • Nordic Oak wood trim
  • Cruise control
  • Heated seats
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Headlamp washers
  • 1 previous owner
  • Full Volvo dealership service history
  • 118,000 miles on the clock
  • £4550 (including putting it through an MoT)

It's going to be a huge upgrade from my 2001 Ford Fiesta

I've checked every inch of this car and got the dealership to put it through an MoT and get anything I noticed fixed (got them to fit a new exhaust bracket, old one was rusting and fix the windscreen washer jets). There's not a single dent on it, the person who owned it before me has kept it in really good condition, it's all clean inside too and no scratches on the dash or anything etc..
Wow that does sound nice and nice price too! With regards to headlight aim, I had them adjusted on a beam setter in an MoT bay to have them at max legal height. I had Nightbreaker+ bulbs but in my car they still weren't bright enough, certainly not as bright as my previous Xenon & AFL equipped Vectra and my 407sw. Being a pre facelift this is no surprise so I stripped the ligh units down and cleaned them then fitted 4300k H7R Xenons and they did the trick, I can see now haha

They are white in person, they were just switched on in this pic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 12:48   #15
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Wow that does sound nice and nice price too! With regards to headlight aim, I had them adjusted on a beam setter in an MoT bay to have them at max legal height. I had Nightbreaker+ bulbs but in my car they still weren't bright enough, certainly not as bright as my previous Xenon & AFL equipped Vectra and my 407sw. Being a pre facelift this is no surprise so I stripped the ligh units down and cleaned them then fitted 4300k H7R Xenons and they did the trick, I can see now haha

.. Pic ..

They are white in person, they were just switched on in this pic.
Looks nice mate. So what was the difference between the pre and post facelift S40?

I want to have nice white looking lights but I'm worried about it counting as a vehicle modification and making my insurance go through the roof?
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 13:07   #16
XcOM

Quote:
Looks nice mate. So what was the difference between the pre and post facelift S40?

Pre-facelift:

Post Facelift:

More of less they look the same, just less black plastic in the light, and the city lights replace the divider between main and dipped.

Last edited by XcOM; Jul 18th, 2015 at 13:10.
XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 15:57   #17
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

They are also a slightly different shape. If you want a whiter light, try Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs. They are 4200k colour so very close to Xenons but are still incandescent bulbs so all legal. They are not blue as the name suggests, they are white. I've used them before and they are very good
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 16:03   #18
StatusRed
Premier Member

So.. do I have the post-facelift style lights?

What the hell is a city light and a turn light?
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 17:11   #19
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Yes you do, 2007.5 is the facelift date. It's an American English picture; City lights = Side lights. Turn lights = Indicators.

When they fitted the big grill badge in 2011 ish when they bought out the D3 & D4 diesels they facelifted again slightly.

As far as light output goes, once you adjust your up and fit some decent bulbs you should be good. The lenses are much better on facelift cars. Also better is the centre console layout and handbrake area.

Hope you enjoy the car, it's sounds a stunner!
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 17:38   #20
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes you do, 2007.5 is the facelift date. It's an American English picture; City lights = Side lights. Turn lights = Indicators.

When they fitted the big grill badge in 2011 ish when they bought out the D3 & D4 diesels they facelifted again slightly.

As far as light output goes, once you adjust your up and fit some decent bulbs you should be good. The lenses are much better on facelift cars. Also better is the centre console layout and handbrake area.

Hope you enjoy the car, it's sounds a stunner!
Ah thanks, that makes more sense now. So the amber light bit, they're just constantly on?

I'll post some pictures of my car after I get it tomorrow!

Tags
headlights, xenon