Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snapped a subframe bolt

Views : 1425

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 19:08   #1
SynonymForTree

Default Snapped a subframe bolt

I've struck disaster and looking for some general advice.

I snapped a bolt while dropping down the subframe (front passenger side). I've got a bit extruding and I'm going to set to work to try and get it off, probably going to have a go at welding a nut on tomorrow, and if I fail I'll have to try and drill it out. Never had a bolt snap on me before so it's not ideal to be doing this for the first time on a bolt for the subframe

If I fail terribly at this, what are my options? I feel like the car is probably screwed short of getting someone to come weld on a new front left? Am I right, any other ideas?
SynonymForTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 21:09   #2
ltec

I think it'll come out ok with the heat from the welding. It should be easier than normal to weld the nut on as you've still a couple of threads. Even when you have the nut welded on, keep welding in the middle of the nut for as long as possible to get as much heat into as possible. Then hit it with a hammer as well. The shock really helps.
If it rings off then do it again and again. Sometimes it can take 3 or 4 goes. If I can't get it off hot then Sometimes I let it cool. The heating and cooling also helps. Don't panic their is always a way.
Good luck.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltec For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 22:57   #3
ca2n

The same thing happened to my XC90 (and if I'm not mistaken the same bolt location, something to do with the other end of the bolt being exposed to the elements).

The garage had known all along that this was a potential issue and did manage to get it out. So it can definitely be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to ca2n For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 10:12   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Mi indie had same problem when changing engine. In my xc, my03. He managed to drill most of the Stud out, but damaged the thread it screwed into.

He then he used an old cylender head bolt screwed into the hole a d just enough thread protrided from the stud hole tofit s nut and washer inside.

So don't panic!

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 10:11   #5
SynonymForTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Mi indie had same problem when changing engine. In my xc, my03. He managed to drill most of the Stud out, but damaged the thread it screwed into.

He then he used an old cylender head bolt screwed into the hole a d just enough thread protrided from the stud hole tofit s nut and washer inside.

So don't panic!

John l

Confused slightly on this? Did he not reuse the existing subframe bolt then? Did he put a smaller bolt through that was small enough that he could get a nut on through the other side of the hole?
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:25   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Cut a blade slot in the remaining part of the bolt and use a heavy duty screwdriver blade to try and free it normally by using one you can get on a socket and breaker bar, a bit of heat around it and penetration oil should help as well, cut through the centre as well as you can.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 15:43   #7
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, the bolt sheered on mine leaving a flush break.

Really no option but to drill out.

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 15:51   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynonymForTree View Post
I've struck disaster and looking for some general advice.

I snapped a bolt while dropping down the subframe (front passenger side). I've got a bit extruding and I'm going to set to work to try and get it off, probably going to have a go at welding a nut on tomorrow, and if I fail I'll have to try and drill it out. Never had a bolt snap on me before so it's not ideal to be doing this for the first time on a bolt for the subframe

If I fail terribly at this, what are my options? I feel like the car is probably screwed short of getting someone to come weld on a new front left? Am I right, any other ideas?
Use an induction heater loop these are extremely effective as the heat goes into the bolt rather than the surroundings, and you can get it red hot. you will need to weld a nut on first though to undo it. Did the bolt move at all before it broke? I hope you did not use an Impact gun to undo it !
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 17:51   #9
darroch

Just weld your nut on. If you have stick welder turn the power up and weld inside the nut in pulses, till you bring the weld out beyond the face of nut. It will go red hot of course. If your penetration is good and weld good, it will wind out. We 'aint all got Induction Heaters
darroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 19:51   #10
SynonymForTree

To update, mine is out now, but the threads are toast!

Trying decide the best next step - whether to just get a longer bolt and put a nut on the other side or whether to use some kind of helical insert.