Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking to buy a Phase 3 V70R Automatic

Views : 453

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2019, 02:25   #1
Jason Watt

Default Looking to buy a Phase 3 V70R Automatic

Hi.

My story short.

Back in 1998 I had a Black 850 T5-R Estate and I absolutely loved it.
My friends drove Bimmers and Audi’s but they couldn’t keep up with my BSR tunes 315BHP sleeper.

Since then I’ve had a motorcycle accident that left my paralyzed but live has gone on and I have owned a lot of car converted to hand controls.

I’ve recently come across a Black V70R Estate for sale and I sort of fell in love with the idea of reliving the past.

Questions:

Is a Phase 3 with the 5 speed auto a better buy than a earlier model with a 4 speed?

I would like to make a horsepower upgrade to approx 350BHP is that a bad idea with an automatic transmission?

Thanks
Jason Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 08:40   #2
DSK
C70 T5

I have personally avoided big power upgrades in automatic cars as they auto boxes are always the weakest link. In manuals, clucthes etc can be changed without hassle but, any issues on an automatic box will turn into an fast expensive migrane.

I run an MTE stage 1 remap on a 4spd auto S70R (with a first gear torque limit). Had it put on in 2011 and the car is still sweet as but, its driven sensibly and not raced off the lights etc.

I have 2 C70 T5's with the 5spd auto's and they are lovely boxes. The gearbox oil is changed frequently and they are going well. 1 will also get an MTE stage 1 remap at some point but I'd not be going further than that for power to ensure longevity of the autobox.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 09:18   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

+1 on above ^

I run a 1997 FWD V70R 4 spd auto, with an MTE S1 map and JT Tuning 3" turboback exhaust. One of the first things I did when I got the car was flush the autobox twice and then re-fill with fully synthetic Dexron III. It gets the power inputted progressively and not flat to the floor all at once. Power wise it's certainly sub-290bhp, and I wouldn't want to go bigger with an auto.

I'd wager your intended 350bhp would be way too much for the 5-speed auto in the later cars, which to be fair have mixed opinions as to performance/reliability.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:07   #4
rockinron

Having owned both the 5 speed autos just don't drive like the 4 speeds at all.

Just my opinion but the 5 speed is much more suited to leisurely driving whereas the 4 speed just feels more raw and kicks down better. Or put more simply the 4 speed puts a smile on your face whereas the 5 speed just feels like a quickish car.
Also for that kind of power the 4 speed means when you hit the kick down it only got to go through 1 gear before the power hits. The 4 speed autos with the selector set to the 3 position are the ultimate grin-on-your-face machine and the box is far more suited to some fast paced country roads. The 5s just lack something.

Also the 5 speed car has the later 2401cc engine whereas the 4 speed has the original 2319cc T5 which has a slightly better reputation although both are sound blocks.

If you didn't want to go so old the last of the V70Rs with the 6 speed box are unbelievable. A real step up in speed from the MK1s and the gearbox is excellent and uses the lock up clutch all the time so feels like an automatically shifted manual than a slush box.

For any auto Volvo make sure you get it up to temperature and feel for any transmission knocks or flares. Particularly when accelerating lightly (when they start to flare it often happen more clearly at slow acceleration rather than fast).
Supposedly the 4 speeds are more resilient than the 5s to not having the fluid changed. I've owed around 15 Volvos from that era and would not touch a 5 speed box with more than 100k on the clock unless it's got documented history of a full fluid change, especially in an R.
rockinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 10:57   #5
Jason Watt

Thanks for a great explanation and for sharing your thoughts.
You seem to have a lot of experience with the automatic trans R-cars.
Jason Watt is offline   Reply With Quote