Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P2263- tcv?

Views : 12761

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2013, 16:29   #1
paddyred
Master Member

Default P2263- tcv?

Okay so I have been having problems with my turbo on my V50 2.0D (136) for a couple of days making a slight owl noise low down. Today, after sticking my foot down at low rpm (1400-2600) I noticed I have barely any power and it runs rough as hell. Even when it runs like this it doesn't smoke badly or make any funny noises minus the rough running. After 2600rpm it boosts normally, sounds normal and when I change I get the normal pressure release noise!

Today I plugged in my android ECU reader and found code P2263-Turbo/Supercharger boost system performance, however I didn't clear it as its a grey code. After reading through the threads on here I'm lead to believe its the TCV. I cant find any vacuum hoses off in the obvious places around the front of the engine, broken wires on the connection onto the TCV (Although I couldn't find a way to do a decent check?) split boost hoses (Unless they are tiny holes hidden somewhere although I would expect loss of power in high RPM too). Also on a previous service i plugged in the snap-on scanner and found "faulty turbo control valve signal" code. I cant get it to appear on my android device though, if its still there after being cleared last time, and don't have access to the other scanner.

I'm guessing its the one near the battery side? I can see another identical one under the fuel filter. Are they both the same or do they do two different unrelated jobs? Is it just as simple are replacing it? Any advice, or previous experience would be great. Also am I OK driving the car until its fixed? I don't want to damage the turbo.

Last edited by paddyred; Nov 30th, 2013 at 16:35.
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 16:47   #2
138gat
138gat

Hi
You could try swapping them over to see what happens, they are both exactly the same, I think the bottom one just controls the throttle body flap or in the haynes manual it calls it a anti shudder valve.
You can test these by connecting 2 wires to a 12 volt source and touching the terminals listening for a clicking sound
New ones are about £50 from stealers
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 16:53   #3
paddyred
Master Member

Thanks for that, know anywhere cheaper?
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 17:06   #4
paddyred
Master Member

Out of interest, Could I connect a vacuum pump to the pipes on each side? coming out of the TCV and check for vacuum loss or will that damage something?
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 17:55   #5
138gat
138gat

I would try testing or swapping first, don't know about the vacuum test but you have got a 12 volt source next to it
You may get one from a good volvo breakers cheaper
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 138gat For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 18:15   #6
paddyred
Master Member

I'l probably test it first. Swapping them over is the last resort considering the access to the other valve. Its £25 for a second hand replacement. Not the end of the world! I just hope its right!
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 16:39   #7
paddyred
Master Member

Okay so I tested the valve and it seems to be okay, making a quiet clicking noise ect. I went to a local scrappy and got the valve from a 2.0HDI pug for a few quid and I'm going to change them tomorrow just as a test thinking the valve may be on its way out but not fully gone. I'm also going to use my vacuum pump and check the "out" line from the valve to check it holds vacuum and possibly the "Vac" line as well however I'm not expecting that to hold a vacuum as I'm guessing that disappears of to a vacuum pump and probably wont hold a vacuum.

My low end boost came back today though, which was a bit unexpected! still runs rough though and the turbo is making an Owl/Siren noise between 1000-2200 under any amount of power and also WOT. I'm hoping maybe changing the valve may fix this as a lot of things lead me to that valve (Fault codes, other people's experiences).

I'm also thinking of cleaning the EGR valve as a possible fix-it item too as my issues sound possibly EGR related considering other posts. I read one post where someone lost all turbo after cleaning their EGR, not sure how as the OP never posted what the fix was. Is there anything I should be careful of when cleaning the valve? I don't want to make this whole thing worse!
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 21:26   #8
conwayvolvo

Default Mr very very sad from portsmouth

Hi sorry to ask so long after the event but ive got some very similar issues with my 2005 V50 diesel...... Ive checked so many options.... swapped bits from my wifes S40 ect ect......... are you in the A/C world, as you have a vacume pump.......... so am i......... anyway if you could let me know how you solved the problem id be very great
conwayvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 22:17   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If you want the use of Vida/DICE then give me a shout. I can either drop it off for you to play with for a week or so, or you can pop round and plug the car in.

I'm in Exeter tomorrow mid afternoon if dropping it off then is any good for you (approx. 3pm).

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 22:38   #10
noney82
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
If you want the use of Vida/DICE then give me a shout. I can either drop it off for you to play with for a week or so, or you can pop round and plug the car in.

I'm in Exeter tomorrow mid afternoon if dropping it off then is any good for you (approx. 3pm).

What a lovely offer, why can't you live near me
The Following User Says Thank You to noney82 For This Useful Post: