Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 T5 Engine Management Light

Views : 942

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 19:44   #1
Metrix84

Default C30 T5 Engine Management Light

Hi all, first post so be gentle.

I'm hoping you may be able to help work out whats going on with my engine before having to take it in to my local garage and get charged an arm and a leg in labour for diagnosing.

Approx a month ago I noticed the engine management light show on my 2010 Volvo C30 T5 R-design, I plugged in my Fault Code reader to find it was stating:

P2178 - System Too Rich Off Idle (Bank 1)

I called my garage who said to clear the code and keep driving as it was a common fault and I shouldn't be worried but to phone back if it reappears. Approx a couple of days ago the light reappears and I plug the diagnostic in again and I now have 5 codes:

P2178 - System Too Rich Off Idle (Bank 1)

P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator-Performance Problem

The oil temps are fine and it has plenty in as well as cooling fluid. There is no loss in performance not that I've been driving her fast after seeing this light come on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Metrix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 11:09   #2
Welton
Premier Member

There used to be a problem with the Fuel Pressure Sensors on T5's but I would have thought your 2010 model might not suffer this but it's a fairly simple to replace sensor on the end of the fuel rail. It 'talks' to the fuel pump and is there to deliver the right amount of fuel dependent on load.

I can't say that IS the problem but there's not really much in the way of 'common issues' with these engines.

Other things to check are: using good quality fuel and making sure the air filter is clean.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 07:26   #3
Metrix84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
There used to be a problem with the Fuel Pressure Sensors on T5's but I would have thought your 2010 model might not suffer this but it's a fairly simple to replace sensor on the end of the fuel rail. It 'talks' to the fuel pump and is there to deliver the right amount of fuel dependent on load.

I can't say that IS the problem but there's not really much in the way of 'common issues' with these engines.

Other things to check are: using good quality fuel and making sure the air filter is clean.
Thanks for this. I spoke with my mechanic who mentioned that it was either the fact that the fuel sensor was knackered or that it was reporting correctly and due to the age and condition it was running higher or lower than normal.

He said that he had a bad experience with this not too long ago and because of that he would not fix it and mentioned that I would have to go elsewhere if I wanted it fixing but I could be paying to fix something that is fine (or not fine)

So it's left me in a bit of a conundrum as to what to do next. A friend had mentioned to send it to Volvo but I suspect they would charge me around the cost of one of my kidneys.
Metrix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 11:02   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrix84 View Post
So it's left me in a bit of a conundrum as to what to do next. A friend had mentioned to send it to Volvo but I suspect they would charge me around the cost of one of my kidneys.
huh? I think you need to change mechanic then FPS is one of the easiest sensors to replace on our engines, even me with my 2 left hands was able to follow YT tutorial and replace it under 10 minutes. Original Bosch part can be bought online for 30-40 euros. That is the very first thing to try when troubleshooting issues like that.