Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1967 - P130 restoration in Norway.

Views : 3580

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:25   #11
AmazonViking

Default Trunk Rott part 2

The floor section needs rebuilding and the double walled section at the rear would most likely require a complete rebuild with two new panels. Fortunately these could be bought but the trunk floor would need some handy work with re-fabrication of sections of the floor.

Good thing I have never ever welded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5518.jpg (156.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5519.jpg (236.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5520.jpg (274.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5698.jpg (162.5 KB, 15 views)
AmazonViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:31   #12
AmazonViking

Default Passenger floor section...

Some hidden stuff was discovered on my grandmothers side when taken down. Some form of repair has been done with the results shown in the pictures.

The patching plate has most likely not sealed the underside down to the support channel which as you can see has taken a hit... :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5490.jpg (263.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5491.jpg (302.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5511.jpg (211.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5512.jpg (218.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5685.jpg (244.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by AmazonViking; Apr 20th, 2019 at 21:32. Reason: Bad English
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:39   #13
AmazonViking

Default Have any one seen this ?

Cleaning out the "asphalt plates" I discovered these things in symmetric areas on several places of the floor panels.

It looks like some one have punched a hole through using something and I cannot see this being my grandfather lifting the car in some funky way. These are on both sides of the cars, from, rear and also in the seat area of the back seat.

They are all covered with some white "ga ga" which is kind of tricky to remove, however these are most likely the reason for the floor section on the drivers side being rotten.

Could this been a mistake at the factory where they just patched it with some white ga ga and shipped the car out the door ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5492.jpg (117.8 KB, 20 views)
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 22:14   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

The bright fresh colour of the rusty areas would IMO indicate that there has been a lot of water sitting on the floor of the car for a long time and has only dried up recently. Maybe it was wet when you got it. The white stuff looks like seam sealer which would have been applied after local repairs to that area. Don't know when that was, but say, 20 years ago floor pans were easy to buy, even from Volvo, so those might have been used there.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 08:51   #15
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Derek: I forgot the later P-Amazonenrest totally, sorry.
Amazon Viking : Your car is way better than a lot of Amazon I did work on.
Using a Amazon-grill is a luxury I did at the end of me phase working on cars. It will make the live sooooo much easier.

Is there a company that will over dry ice cleaning neare by?
I wouldn't sand or media blast a body anymore.
Best results in NY eyes you will get:
Remove all the heavy nasty shifty parts like exhaust etc.
Put the car on grill
Dry ice blast
Disassemble fully
Weld
KTL (expensive, still the best solution)

You will get a body like new, even better is possible

Happy Easter, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:00   #16
AmazonViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Derek: I forgot the later P-Amazonenrest totally, sorry.
Amazon Viking : Your car is way better than a lot of Amazon I did work on.
Using a Amazon-grill is a luxury I did at the end of me phase working on cars. It will make the live sooooo much easier.

Is there a company that will over dry ice cleaning neare by?
I wouldn't sand or media blast a body anymore.
Best results in NY eyes you will get:
Remove all the heavy nasty shifty parts like exhaust etc.
Put the car on grill
Dry ice blast
Disassemble fully
Weld
KTL (expensive, still the best solution)

You will get a body like new, even better is possible

Happy Easter, Kay
Thanks for the feedback :-)

The procedure is now to remove the inner roof, figure out what to do with the hand break and then decide if the wire harness should be removed or not. The car is fully dissasambled and is literally only the shell left.

Then the car and rotisserie would we taken to the media blaster company just down the road. That would be exiting times - to see the real damage of the chassis.

Normal sandblasting is out of the question. That could quickly expand the plates and damage the metal so I have found this company which uses a mixture of water with some additions and then media which could be anything from sand to really fine material. They use the IBIX equipment and here is a link to them working on a MG :

https://www.facebook.com/19378304597...4800374957751/

Then there would be ordering of parts and then there is quite a bit of rust welding to be done. This would for sure take time since I never have welded or worked on cars, but hopefully that would go fine.

The paint shop is ready and would take over after the car has been welded up. The car would be painted internally and externally so hopefully there is no mor rust to worry about in the next X amount of years...

I'm new to all of this but have some good friends which know a thing or two so hopefully the end result would be ok.

Pics of trunk area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5686.jpg (167.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5687.jpg (177.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5688.jpg (214.2 KB, 13 views)
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 12:27   #17
csm22

"Front seats would be changed for some 80s Recaro seats which would be re-done with original seat covers. Think this would look pretty cool. The Recaros I got my hands on was the dream seats in the 80s and really happy I managed to score 2 of these."

For what it's worth... I'd consider restoring the original seats with new foam and suspensions. You could even upgrade with salvaged headrests and a metal spring suspension for seat bottom and backrest (kits available at http://sw-em.com/swemkits.htm#seat%20susp%20upgrade ), then cover with reproduction seat covers (VP is a good source). Fully restored Amazon seats are supremely comfortable... a testament to the gold-standard engineering they put into safety and comfort. You might even say they were "the dream seats of the '60s."
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 14:37   #18
Tail
Master Member

Thumbs up

Just done all that myself on the rear panel, its a horrid rust trap in there,looks much better with a new rear panel and part of the floor
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 20:53   #19
AmazonViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The bright fresh colour of the rusty areas would IMO indicate that there has been a lot of water sitting on the floor of the car for a long time and has only dried up recently. Maybe it was wet when you got it. The white stuff looks like seam sealer which would have been applied after local repairs to that area. Don't know when that was, but say, 20 years ago floor pans were easy to buy, even from Volvo, so those might have been used there.
The car has been parked in a heated garage for at least 5-6 years and before that hardly used. In this time the rubber gasket around the fuel cap was bad so even if I hardly used it but had it outside - might have been enough to keep this area wet.

The floor section is a one pice section for both front and rear. It would be interesting to see after the media blasting if there is any welding done. If not, the white stuff must have been from the factory..
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 21:22   #20
AmazonViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm22 View Post
"Front seats would be changed for some 80s Recaro seats which would be re-done with original seat covers. Think this would look pretty cool. The Recaros I got my hands on was the dream seats in the 80s and really happy I managed to score 2 of these."

For what it's worth... I'd consider restoring the original seats with new foam and suspensions. You could even upgrade with salvaged headrests and a metal spring suspension for seat bottom and backrest (kits available at http://sw-em.com/swemkits.htm#seat%20susp%20upgrade ), then cover with reproduction seat covers (VP is a good source). Fully restored Amazon seats are supremely comfortable... a testament to the gold-standard engineering they put into safety and comfort. You might even say they were "the dream seats of the '60s."
Thanks for the tip.
I'm aware of the available parts for the original seats. VP Autoparts has the covers but not the foam. SCANDIX has both and possibly the spring section as well. I have not checked these options lately but from memory the original seats was not that great to sit in and the back rest is as I remember this fairly low. And the seat is very close to the steering wheel.

Attached is a pic nicked from the web which is for sure inspiring for me and looks pretty cool. I think the pic is from some E30 BMW seats recovered in black.
SeatWeb.jpg

Mine would be recovered with the original red vinyl, if needed after marked versions from VP autoparts/Scandix.

These would of course be the last final stage of the finishing part, but I might pull the trigger on the recovering of the Recaros while the work on the car is going on.

Pics of one of my seats attached.IMG_5532 (3).jpg

Last edited by AmazonViking; Apr 22nd, 2019 at 22:27. Reason: Trying to get these post looking better with pics popping up in full size. Not succeeding :-(