Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49442

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 19:55   #91
HansonVolvoman

Question Tomto147

Message for Tomto147
Any more problems since your last fix?
HansonVolvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 21:08   #92
exasperated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonVolvoman View Post
After reading this thread I took my XC60 back to dealership today. Battery drawing 0.3amps whilst parked!
According to somebody else on this thread earlier, it should draw no more than 0.04.
That's why I had two flat batteries in less than 12 months!
Sorted the problem straight away and now draws only 0.01amps. Software CEM issue. I think Volvo are not shouting about this but they know about the problem.
How do you find out how much the battery is drawing? I'm not technical at all and haven't a clue. And does anyone know if the MY12 cars have the same prolem or have they been built with the updated CEM software?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 22:32   #93
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperated View Post
I'm now really nervous about leaving my new XC60 at the airport car park in a couple of months while we go on holiday for 10 days? Will it or won't it start??? I guess I've got no way of telling until I leave it for that length of time and it doesn't.

Any tips anyone? Is there anything I can ask to garage to do/check? And what is this Battery maintenance charger that you can get from Halfords and how does it work please? What do you connect it to and how does it help the battery start after being left?
As I say the XC60 is not particularly prone to this problem and anyone who does have it seems to have a definite fault on the electrics which manifests itself without a couple of weeks of non use .

I have only fitted the maintenance charger because I am away for two months and although it may not have been a problem I am pre empting the possibility and making sure the battery is kept well charged up while away. I just wanted to keep my battery well toped up and maintained while away as suggested in the owners manual.

A previous Mercedes I had did have flat batteries when I returned after a couple of months away. Not I must say for the first few years of ownership but as the battery aged it wouldn’t stay charged as well as when new.

The Halfords charger will be no good if the car is to be left at the airport as it needs a mains supply.

Simple instructions are supplied with the Halfords charger and it fits onto the battery terminal and earths to the car body .The battery box is a bit of a pain to dismantle so I used the permanent connection method (supplied in the instructions and kit) to make it easier for future use and avoid dismantling the battery box each time.

Having said that someone who is not reasonably competent would be best not attempting installation themselves.

I would think Halfords fitters would install it for a price .
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 08:36   #94
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperated View Post
How do you find out how much the battery is drawing? I'm not technical at all and haven't a clue. And does anyone know if the MY12 cars have the same problem or have they been built with the updated CEM software?
I have a MY12 car and I am fairly sure that that software update would be there.

Not sure where I read it on the forum, but it is quite an old problem with and also the fix is quite "old".

That's the beauty and also the problem with forums, if you are not careful you can become a motoring hypochondriac!!!
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 15:11   #95
tomto147

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonVolvoman View Post
Message for Tomto147
Any more problems since your last fix?
No problems after this update for over a year now...
tomto147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:32   #96
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

Default Further Update: Problem fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanXC60 View Post
We are now unable to open the passenger side rear door, as the lock is frozen closed.
Trip back to the garage is being organised for this week.
The problem was identified by association with the passenger door not operating. Originally it was thought that a locking solenoid in the door was not operating correctly and draining the battery, but after pointing out this thread a software update for the chassis number was found.

Both the problem of the battery drain and the door locking shut are known. The solution to the first is a software fix; the second requires lubrication.

It's now two months since the last call out for Volvo Assist and the car has had no related problems.

Both Volvo Assist and Volvo Customer Services have been in touch by phone to follow up on the problem and I've referred them both to this thread.
IanXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 15:17   #97
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

Default I spoke too soon

At the 2 year service last week, the service software upgrades were applied to the car. 2 Days later the battery was flat again.
They've had the car overnight for checks and found that there was some sort of liquid in the car's satnav unit under the boot. They think this was the root cause. The satnav has always worked fine, other than that it has no memory of stored locations between journeys.
As a precaution, they've reinstated the previous software.
Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 17:11   #98
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

Default Flat again

I left it a while this time and was really hopeful that it had worked. However, the battery was flat on Monday (a month later) after a long journey on Saturday night. Volvo Assist put the booster on and the car started fine. 2 hours in the garage and they couldn't find the fault, but said they are getting a lot of similar reports on the XC90.
It's now been referred to Volvo head office.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:25   #99
CoryCanada

Post My S40, battery dying after a week of sitting

I had the same issue with my 2010 S40. I found an interesting article and this issue has been noted by Volvo. If anyone has had the same issue, read this article and talk to your Volvo service department.

Cheers, Cory

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2143487/
CoryCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoryCanada For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2012, 17:06   #100
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

Default Volvo UK are taking it up

After a referral to the manufacturer, the car has been recalled for a 4 day diagnostic test in mid-June. The problem usually appears after a long drive and conveniently I have a 400 mile round trip planned for the Jubilee holiday week just beforehand.

I'll keep you posted.