Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49464

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 22:27   #81
tomto147

I can confirm once more that after the software update around 9 months ago the problem has never occured again. I am sure it will be the same with your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
Further to my earlier posts about this problem (#38 & 44) it would appear that a software update to the Central Electronic Module (CEM) has fixed the problem on my XC60.

After the unsatisfactory attempt the dealer had made to find the fault last time (blaming the excessive current draw on a hoist I had fitted in the boot to lift a mobility scooter in and out, despite it not drawing any current when it is switched off), I knew the cars first service was due in June and it would coincide with me being away for 3 weeks, so it was agreed I’d leave the car at the dealers while I was away.

The car stood for just over a week and when they came to move it the battery was completely flat, which was good as it confirmed the problem. They did the service, checked out the electrical system and again claimed it was the hoist causing the problem! (ARRRRRRGGHHHH)

When I went to collect the car, I asked for the Head Technician to come out with a multimeter and show me that the hoist was drawing current from the battery when it was switched off.

He duly came out to the car, disconnected the negative lead from the battery and connected the multimeter between the two and then locked the car with the remote (If anyone wants to do this themselves I can describe the necessary steps you need to take to do this safely and stop the alarm going off).

After a few minutes to allow the car to go to ‘sleep’, the meter showed a current draw of around 0.45 amps. We then discovered that the in-line fuse in the power lead for the hoist (connected to the battery positive) was missing and that meant the hoist was not even connected! After about 10 mins of checking things he conceded that the fault must be with the car as he believed the current draw when the car has gone to ‘sleep’ should be no more than 0.04 amps.

The car went back for more investigations a few days later, which included doing the above test and then systematically removing each fuse in turn to try to see which circuit/system may be at fault. This did not reveal any conclusive proof as the current draw would not drop below 0.2 amps. They then contacted Volvo who said to load updated software into the CEM, they also said current should not exceed 0.04 and that they should wait at least 5 mins after locking the car to allow it to go to ‘sleep’.

The updated software was loaded and the car tested again, now the current draw dropped to 0.01 amps when ‘asleep’.

They could not tell me what version number or any other identification for the new software but it seems to have fixed the problem.
I’m due to go away again for 3 weeks later in the year so that will be the real test, but as other people in this thread (tomto147 and Mike Jenvey) have both had a software update which seems to have fixed their problems on the XC60 I am hopeful it is finally sorted.
tomto147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 21:27   #82
mobile1

Default battery drain update

Just for the record and for any other owners in dispair - excessive drain identified as the "On-call" system, effectively doing it's job, i.e. monitoring the car whilst everything else is asleep. This is despite the fact that I did not have a live subscription for the service

Solution? Disconnect the system, which has cured the problem but doing so has produced another couple of messages to delete every time the ignition is activated. A small price to pay for peace of mind and the ability to park-up for a few weeks.

Another sufferer had the identical problem (with a XC70?) and Volvo Technical identified the same solution. This guy contacted Honest John at the Telegraph, who doubted that the On Call system would be the cause of the problem and suggested the Bluetooth as the more likely.

Well, in my case Volvo Technical was spot on.
mobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 23:22   #83
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post

Well, in my case Volvo Technical was spot on.
mmm, shame volvo weren't in their testing of this function in the first place.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 10:33   #84
mobile1

A very fair point; I guess such an observation on my part was blinded by the relief that, after over 2 years of absolute frustration and lack of faith in the car, I now have something I can enjoy!

Regular usage aviods the problem but in my case, following retirement, the car regularly rests for a week or more at a time.

It will be intersting to see if the much lauded BMW system will experience any problems.

I think I have seen that for 2012, Volvo has introduced an apps based system for On-call. Not sure how this works in detail, in terms of what is active in the car, but I wonder which came first - known problems with the car based system or a desire to widen the "appeal".
mobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 14:23   #85
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post
A very fair point; I guess such an observation on my part was blinded by the relief that, after over 2 years of absolute frustration and lack of faith in the car, I now have something I can enjoy!
blinding relief is an afflication we all face at times in our lives! i'm glad you now feel you can put the problem to bed and enjoy the car.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 18:57   #86
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

Default Flat after 4 days

We use our March 2010 XC60 D5 SE Lux infrequently during school term time and have only had it since August. After leaving the car for 4 days we encountered the flat battery problem today and called out Volvo Assist (after unsuccessfully trying to use a 400 Amp booster battery pack and checking all the fuses).
The Volvo Assist guy managed to get the car started right away using a 700 Amp pack. He ran the engine for 15 minutes and tried again, but that failed and he had to run the engine for 30 minutes (idling) before there was enough charge to start the car. He could find no faults.
I'll call the main dealer when they're next open and see if there's a software upgrade and let you know how I get on.
The car was last serviced February 2011 by Doves in Blackburn.
IanXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 12:16   #87
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

Default Update on status

After another callout to Volvo assist the following Friday (when the car was booked in to Ray Chapman in York), the car went in for a day for investigation. They did two software upgrades (both overdue recalls).
They told me the cause of the drain on the battery was that the glovebox door catch wasn't turning the light off properly; that because it was on the same circuit as the solenoid locking the fuel filler cap the system was not going to sleep and the battery was draining in 20 minutes of idle time.
We have been making sure the glovebox is closed properly with the light extinguished and have had no problems until last week.
After an uninterrupted 200 mile journey ending at 10pm Wednesday the car was standing unused until 7pm Saturday. We'd operated the remote locking twice during that time to get and then return items in the boot.
The battery was completely flat and we were unable to open the car other than using the blade key. Third call to Volvo Assist got it started and it started the next morning without trouble.
We are now unable to open the passenger side rear door, as the lock is frozen closed.
Trip back to the garage is being organised for this week.

Last edited by IanXC60; Jan 9th, 2012 at 12:18.
IanXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:54   #88
Daleman
Master Member

Default Trickle charging to avoid flat battery problems

I don’t think the XC 60 is particularly prone to this battery draining problem without a definite fault in the wiring being present however It does say in the handbook notes that:-

The life of the battery is shortened if it
becomes discharged repeatedly.
The life of the battery is affected by several
factors, including driving conditions and climate.
Battery starting capacity decreases
gradually with time and therefore needs to
be recharged if the car is not used for a
longer time or when it is only driven short
distances. Extreme cold further limits starting
capacity.
To maintain the battery in good condition, at
least 15 minutes of driving/week is recommended
or that the battery is connected to
a battery charger with automatic trickle
charging.
A battery that is kept fully charged has a
maximum service life.

I am away in Australia for a couple of months at the moment and before I left to avoid returning to a flat battery I installed a Halfords maintenance charger ( Catalogue Code 188946-0 @ £25) .It seemed to do the job just fine in tests before I left and can be set up permanently with a push fit connectors for continued easy use in future. In fact its so easily to connect up the push fit connections that if the vehicle is to be left for more than a week in future I will be plugging it in to keep the battery well maintained and avoid any potential battery drainage problems .

Last edited by Daleman; Jan 10th, 2012 at 09:45. Reason: re word
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 18:27   #89
exasperated

I'm now really nervous about leaving my new XC60 at the airport car park in a couple of months while we go on holiday for 10 days? Will it or won't it start??? I guess I've got no way of telling until I leave it for that length of time and it doesn't.

Any tips anyone? Is there anything I can ask to garage to do/check? And what is this Battery maintenance charger that you can get from Halfords and how does it work please? What do you connect it to and how does it help the battery start after being left?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 19:48   #90
HansonVolvoman

Smile Thanks Volvo Forum!

After reading this thread I took my XC60 back to dealership today. Battery drawing 0.3amps whilst parked!
According to somebody else on this thread earlier, it should draw no more than 0.04.
That's why I had two flat batteries in less than 12 months!
Sorted the problem straight away and now draws only 0.01amps. Software CEM issue. I think Volvo are not shouting about this but they know about the problem.

Last edited by HansonVolvoman; Jan 11th, 2012 at 19:52.
HansonVolvoman is offline   Reply With Quote