Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230FB engine

Views : 3881

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 18:20   #1
Ben O Brien

Default B230FB engine

Hi all
re. my post in the 200series forum
collected one of these today,what does the 2nd B mean,it is a 2.3 injected but i imagine its a special model or something,can anyone enlighten me???

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 23:10   #2
George Holmer

Yes, I may be mistaken but I think the FB is a trimmed version of the F. Volvo had problems with lossing too much power from all the emission controls they stuck on the F engine in the early 90s and so they made the FB. I think, but could be wrong, that it has the famous 531 head and a different cam. I know it has 136 bhp. For a non-turbo engine, it is not a bad one.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'80 240 GLT estate (B27E/BW55)
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:51   #3
Ben O Brien

Default RE: B230FB engine

Hi
I did a web search...amazing what you will find on the web.
It turns out it has a VX cam but no reference to the head type,
I have heard reference to the 531 head before,is this a good or bad thing to have,
ALso do any of you know if this can be modified i.e. remapped etc,
I had come across someone who had fitted bigger injectors and a remapped it or something,not sure of the details.
It is going to have a 3.5" exhaust so it will be interesting on start up what it sounds like!!
I was going to fit the B23A with twin dellortos but ill save that for the 142 rally car i am going to build,
hmmm... 136bhp through an M46 i think i can live with that!!
Also i have the lumenition kit for the distributor can this be fitted to fuel injected engines??

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 23:38   #4
George Holmer

531 head is the best of the them all, the equivalent of the 405 on the B23 engines. Of course you can remap this engine but that is expensive. In Sweden, what they do to get more power is to fit an extracotr exhaust manifold, the skim the head to increase compression and then they remove all the casting marks to improve the flow in the head. You can also change the cam, but I do not know which one is the best, or if indeed the VX is the best. They add an open-air sport filter and fit larger exhausts and special cats and silencers.

My understanding with bigger injectors is that you would need to match that with more air so you would need to modify the AMM. I know of people in Sweden who have fitted S60R injectors but do not ask me about the technicalities.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'80 240 GLT estate (B27E/BW55)
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:11   #5
Ben O Brien

Default RE: B230FB engine

Hi
I am fitting a 3.5" exhaust with no cat so that should improve breathing,I will get a K+N filter or similar(the panel type that fits in the airbox)
I will see how it feels when up and running, i dont think there will be as much emphasis on speed in this car as i had thought as i have bought a 142 rally car so i will be using that for rallys/hillclimbs and leave the 242 for tipping around on sundays!!