Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 63498

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2018, 23:52   #31
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
I've just ordered a Faraday pouch as both our cars "keyless"''
I feel fortunate that I always park my Volvo inside a securely locked brick built garage, and never left on my driveway overnight.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 08:04   #32
Crockers
Premier Member

Wish I had room...Double garage used as massive store room lol.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 09:02   #33
HamDenFede

We really need more information on this matter. In my opinion we have two major issues related to the safety of our cars:
- The theft itself (how)?
- Why Volvo On Call completely fails in every aspects (no last info, no tracking nothing) in this specific situation?

My dealer told me specifically that On Call could not be retrofitted, because it was highly integrated into the heart of the car and the electric modules, and thus it was one of the best tracking and security solutions. That it can be completely neutralized in seconds just sounds wrong.
HamDenFede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:12   #34
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDenFede View Post
We really need more information on this matter. In my opinion we have two major issues related to the safety of our cars:
- The theft itself (how)?
- Why Volvo On Call completely fails in every aspects (no last info, no tracking nothing) in this specific situation?

My dealer told me specifically that On Call could not be retrofitted, because it was highly integrated into the heart of the car and the electric modules, and thus it was one of the best tracking and security solutions. That it can be completely neutralized in seconds just sounds wrong.
- Assumed to be by amplification of the car-fob signal to simulate the key firstly being in the proximity of the door, then in the car interior. Done silently with no force.

- You need to be on this quickly, they will know where the module is and how to disable it, it probably didn’t happen on the drive, but beacuase the alarm wasn’t triggered it want tracked straight away. BMW and VAG make a poorer job of hiding and protecting the module and these are usually disabled within a minute of the drive away by the second man while the car is in motion. I’m not stating where these are, but its out there for thieves.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:19   #35
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA SOL View Post
So sorry this has happened.

Also from a selfish point of view, I’m now worried about my insurance. I was told by my dealer that VOC has a tracker and when I set up my insurance I explained that i had VOC which included a tracker facility. If this is not actually the case I’m wondering if my insurance will be invalid in the case of any potential claim I might need to make.
with the track function you have to contact the on call centre by other means of course and they will talk with the police regarding the cars position , not much good if the car is in a container though . first case of a volvo being stolen like this , must be getting desirable …

I would highly recommend Automatrics MTrack
They have a 98% return rate , the system has 3 different methods of tracking ,
1 ,GPS which is the usual
2, GSM which calculates the approx. location according to the nearest 2 or 3 phone masts ,
3 ,FM Beacon which can be remotely turned on and sends out a beep for about a mile which will get through a metal container and the exact location can be found with a local radio receiver .
about £350

https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVwcNh6_pNo
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:52   #36
MaDProFF
Master Member

I used to run trackers on my bikes, and cars, but tbh I stopped as it is expensive business, and the insurance reduction which once was not too bad is now like a few pounds which personally is taking the P###.

If you are lucky to have a tracker, and get the car back, it is not like the insurance company say well done and thanks, and you saved us £40k + they just up your premium next year.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:53   #37
tricky13

presume if you have the standard key on a MY19 XC60 where you have to press a button to unlock the car - this means it cant be taken in 1 of these style thefts where the key signal is duplicated?
tricky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:57   #38
WhatNext?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Frankly none of the OEM trackers are any use, the thieves have selected your car and will have done their homework, they know exactly how to nobble all factory fitted trackers as theyre all the same.

Volvo can track the vehicle in motion if you have a crime reference, or if it follows a received remote alarm.

I simply wouldn’t have another keyless entry vehicle, there just isnt enough security in the systems.

An Illy coffee tin sorts it,

Is that tried and tested (illy tin thing)?
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:06   #39
AB-UK
Premier Member

I was told that Volvo On Call is supposed to be able to detect movement (geographic) of the car when the ignition is off, thus if it is nicked and put onto a trailer, they would note the movement, and contact me.

Years ago I informed them I would be going to Europe, and they would therefore see the car travelling whilst switched off - whilst on the ferry.
They just thanked me for letting them know, and they would make a note of it.

I believed - perhaps naively in retrospect - that I had a permanent tracker in my car.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:15   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I was told that Volvo On Call is supposed to be able to detect movement (geographic) of the car when the ignition is off, thus if it is nicked and put onto a trailer, they would note the movement, and contact me.

Years ago I informed them I would be going to Europe, and they would therefore see the car travelling whilst switched off - whilst on the ferry.
They just thanked me for letting them know, and they would make a note of it.

I believed - perhaps naively in retrospect - that I had a permanent tracker in my car.
Just to make things more clear The oncall tracking is only activated when the alarm goes off , As far as the car is concerned The car is just being driven normally and has not been stolen because it has received the correct signal from the key .
I believe that once they turn the engine off on the car stolen this way they cannot start it again ..
I daresay volvo and other manufacturers are working hard on software to correct this deficiency .. Or at least warn existing owners to keep their keys well away from the front of the house ….