Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 D5 issues

Views : 832

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 18:35   #1
sda2489

Default V50 D5 issues

Loved my car in the beginning....

Never been hugely impressed with the fuel economy but it is a 2.4 litre engine so I accepted it would never be as good as my old 1.9 TDI.

Consistently got low 40s during the summer and the previous year I'd had it until then, but the last few months I am getting 36 mpg... I drive like Miss Daisy. 70mph on the motorway with cruise control on, all week. 27 miles to work and 27 miles back, almost all motorway...... Bloomin thing is costing me a fortune.

Recent things to note, may or may not be coincidental.

Sitting at traffic lights or a junction for a little while idling..... Set off, big plumes of grey/white smoke that stinks...... Doesn't happen all the time.

No smoke under normal driving or acceleration. Car goes like a train.

After coasting (over run) and then accelerating, blue smoke........ (oil burning).

Got a leak off test kit to see if the injectors are playing up, and may be over fueling and causing the high mpg and/or grey white smoke........but they all seemed ok.

Egr valve has been cleaned (twice now in my ownership)

Recent events (since new year) have included "soot filter full" and "engine service required" and into limp mode. Forced DPF regen done. 200 miles later. Same scenario. Had another regen done (28 grams of soot in 200 miles) which took over an hour to complete the other day......

Now got the sweat on for next week to see how it behaves....

Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong with it?

Si
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 18:38   #2
sda2489

Doesn't use any coolant. Does need topped up with oil every so often but nothing I would consider excessive. 145k miles on it.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 16:54   #3
velaskez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2489 View Post
Loved my car in the beginning....

Never been hugely impressed with the fuel economy but it is a 2.4 litre engine so I accepted it would never be as good as my old 1.9 TDI.

Consistently got low 40s during the summer and the previous year I'd had it until then, but the last few months I am getting 36 mpg... I drive like Miss Daisy. 70mph on the motorway with cruise control on, all week. 27 miles to work and 27 miles back, almost all motorway...... Bloomin thing is costing me a fortune.
I got 43mpg going 70-80mph from Cardiff to Cov last week and yesterday driving like Miss Daisy I got solid 53 on the way to and from Whitchurch...my V50 D5 has 141k miles on the clock. So there is definitely something wrong with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2489 View Post
Recent things to note, may or may not be coincidental.

Sitting at traffic lights or a junction for a little while idling..... Set off, big plumes of grey/white smoke that stinks...... Doesn't happen all the time.

No smoke under normal driving or acceleration. Car goes like a train.

After coasting (over run) and then accelerating, blue smoke........ (oil burning).

Got a leak off test kit to see if the injectors are playing up, and may be over fueling and causing the high mpg and/or grey white smoke........but they all seemed ok.

Egr valve has been cleaned (twice now in my ownership)

Recent events (since new year) have included "soot filter full" and "engine service required" and into limp mode. Forced DPF regen done. 200 miles later. Same scenario. Had another regen done (28 grams of soot in 200 miles) which took over an hour to complete the other day......

Now got the sweat on for next week to see how it behaves....

Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong with it?

Si
Maybe the intercooler is split and needs changing?

Last edited by velaskez; Jan 20th, 2020 at 16:57.
velaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 17:50   #4
mr tickle

MPG will decrease in winter on Diesels, not withstanding your other issues
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 21:00   #5
sda2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by velaskez View Post
I got 43mpg going 70-80mph from Cardiff to Cov last week and yesterday driving like Miss Daisy I got solid 53 on the way to and from Whitchurch...my V50 D5 has 141k miles on the clock. So there is definitely something wrong with yours.

Maybe the intercooler is split and needs changing?
Had the whole front end apart last year to replace the AC intercooler. Cleaned out the turbo intercooler and had a good look at it. Seemed fine. I should probably check all the pipes but there is certainly no noise suggesting any boost leaks.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 21:06   #6
sda2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
MPG will decrease in winter on Diesels, not withstanding your other issues
It's been doing 36 mpg consistently since August/September last year....

I've cleaned the EGR twice in my ownership but I might take off the egr cooler as well. Pig of a job but need to find the cause.

DPF sensor pipes need examining as well to check they are all ok.

Going to re check the injector leak back. Still strongly suspect an over fuelling issue.........

Arghhh!!!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 20:28   #7
sda2489

Limp mode again.

DPF has 39g of soot in it. That happened within 250 miles from its last regen.

DPF is off and is getting the Wynns cleaner treatment. Rubber dpf pipes checked. No issues.

New DPF pressure sensor will be going on too. Already had a second hand one put on.

Fuel filter replaced. Had it laid around. Thermostat changed, also had it laid around. They have made zero difference.

I reckon the car is constantly trying to regen itself, hence the poor fuel economy, smoking after sitting idle, as it stinks just like the smell when it is forced regen'd.

Last roll of the Dice before I buy a new dpf.

Correction tests done via VIDA which shows no issues. All well within ranges.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 20:15   #8
junek92

Hello,
Have you found the cause and the fix for your low MPG. I'm curios because I recently bought V50 D3 and I'm starting to think that my car also has such problems with low MPG. I will be glad if you share your further findings.
junek92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 20:20   #9
sda2489

I kinda got a fix for it........... I sold it and bought a V60 D3.....

Which I have very pleased with...

I think in the end, the DPF was shot.

My V60 does 50 mpg (properly calculated) up and down the motorway sitting at 70 mph. My V50 was doing 35 mpg. The car is practically paying for itself.

£30 quid road tax. Insurance is half the price and fuel economy is 40 percent better.
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 15:22   #10
sda2489

Strangely enough.... My odd V50 D5 is no longer registered........

Guess it finally died....

Got shot of it just in time.

T.