Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BCM code 0101

Views : 3657

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2016, 22:29   #21
paddyred
Master Member

If its intermittent again you could take it off and do a full inspection and hope you find something obvious but I think your best option is to replace it as you say. I am, however, not sure on the situation with BCM coding.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 06:14   #22
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
If its intermittent again you could take it off and do a full inspection and hope you find something obvious but I think your best option is to replace it as you say. I am, however, not sure on the situation with BCM coding.
you agree though it is probably the BCM module though?
If ive narrowed it down to that, im fairly happy.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 06:49   #23
paddyred
Master Member

I would say that if you loose the ability to communicate with the BCM when you have the fault but you are able to retrieve fault codes (and live data?) says that its the BCM. if you lost communication with the BCM and ECM at the same time then I would say to look at the can lines between the modules and the CEM but the fact you lost communication with the bcm but are still able to get codes and data from the engine then its got to be the BCM. Time to send it for testing unless you want to get a replacement and coding.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 15:57   #24
Bloders2

apparently, a second hand one cannot be reprogrammed. Does anyone know someone who can. Surely it is possible?
Im cautious about getting mine repaired, as it is an intermittent problem, the chances are it would not have the problem when on the test rig?

a new one is a little expensive!!
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 20:38   #25
paddyred
Master Member

Just did a bit of googling to see what I could find as like I said I haven't had to reprogram a BCM before. This guy has the same issue as you by the look of it though. It definitely isn't impossible for a unit to be re-used. It just isn't easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuSNSeUvGY
Old May 1st, 2016, 18:01   #26
Bloders2

an update.
I bought a second hand, apparently working BCM. swapped the chip over as shown in the youtube video above.
No change. Same error message.
I do not believe it can be the BCM, unless its the actual chip itself, which i also doubt.

Any suggestions?
if i get a ECU off the same vehicle, i assume i cant just plug it in and it work??
thinking probably get the ecu/ecm tested as a) code reader cannot connect to the ecm (but it does connect to all other modules and the "engine" module b) BCM fault is communication problem with ecm?

Last edited by Bloders2; May 1st, 2016 at 20:06.
Old May 9th, 2016, 22:23   #27
Kino26

Hi

I was having a very similar problem with a 2l diesel s40.

Did you manage to solve the problem with yours as my mechanics have said they are unable to fix the issue.

Any info would be great.
Thanks
Kino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 16:39   #28
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino26 View Post
Hi

I was having a very similar problem with a 2l diesel s40.

Did you manage to solve the problem with yours as my mechanics have said they are unable to fix the issue.

Any info would be great.
Thanks
Sorry to say bad news.
As it was an ECM communication error, I spoke to an ECU testing company, who said they could clone another ECU to be the same.
He said I could use a Ford one as they are essentially the same hardware.
Got one of those, sent them both off to him.
Put "new" one on, Turned over twice then "immobiliser fault, and Urgent brake service required, please stop safely" or whatever the message is came up. Would not turn over again.
Put original ECU on, no different.
Ive checked ALL the CAN wiring, even with a headlight bulb to ensure all wires were thoroughly stressed (whilst everything was disconnected so no stray voltage damage to any components)
As I needed the car for work, and decided that I could easily recoup my money as spares, whereas if I spend more money on It I may never get my money, or a working car back, so Ive scrapped it. Currently advertising the parts off it.
Went to the Auctions and got myself a 11 reg V50 1.6 diesel.
Im quite annoyed, its beat me.
Old May 8th, 2020, 13:52   #29
Immy

Default S40 59 plate / bcm-0101 / ecm-1600 / ecm-7700 / pam-e010

Hi guys,

My S40 1.6d goes into limp mode and anti skid message appears when i go over 45mph, turned it off and back on all good till I hit 45mph, since then now the car gos into limp mode and have anti skid service message on after 20 seconds from starting.

Garage did following work:
Egr replaced, full service inc fuel fitler, dpf was cleaned by garage, injectors checked, tcv replaced

I ran vida on it and the first message I get is about resetting inforrmation about current consumption necessary

Also the following codes

bcm-0101
ecm-1600
ecm-7700
pam-e010

Files attached below

I navigated to diganostics/vehicle/communcation/ecm/advanced/battery monitoring module (bms) resetting of information about current supply.
It had erase codes, read codes, earse ecm. Cleared codes and same codes came back on.

Do I need to select earse ecm? as was not sure if this would delete all software etc, so dind't click it.

Is it the battery that is at fault due to the full screen message?

Any help very much appericated, thanks all

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16V...fG3P_vLC8oT4BA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pk...xi2s8RvtIQd3KT

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13T...8Rdvwj4Y3r1FQ-
Immy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 23:03   #30
KevMan2015

Default Dreaded BCM code.

Hi all, quite a bit of reading here, I have (although it’s the wife’s) 07 Volvo s40 1.6d, has issue with maf sensor signal too low, Vida says should have between 0-5v back to ecm from sensor but have 9-11v, I tried new maf sensor then had codes for egr gas flow too high, maf sensor faulty the the same BCM-0101, I suspect that I either have a faulty ECM or the engine loom is at fault.
The BCM code is a communication fault with ecm, so as they communicate on CAN is the CAN voltages wrong? Even a slight nick on a can wire which causes some corrosion is enough to increase resistance, this would also stop comms. I work on buses and can normally is 2.4v can low and 2.6v can high, even a slight voltage increase can shut down comms.
I have ordered a loom, as it’s the cheapest option to go for at the moment.
I will keep you informed of what happens.
KevMan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote