Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 tracking question

Views : 1666

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 16:30   #1
Sceptre123

Default XC60 tracking question

I own an XC60 R Design which i bought new.

The car has always pulled to the left. The car has been tracked / re-set by the Volvo dealer on 3 occasions, but very quickly afterwards reverts to pulling again.

The tyres are now 3.5 - 4mm after 8k miles.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Does this sound normal? Does this sound something acceptable? All views welcome! (and no, I don't drive fast, hit curbs, go over lots of speed bumps or enjoy roundabout!)
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 18:35   #2
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post

The car has always pulled to the left. The car has been tracked / re-set by the Volvo dealer on 3 occasions, but very quickly afterwards reverts to pulling again.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Does this sound normal? Does this sound something acceptable? All views welcome! (and no, I don't drive fast, hit curbs, go over lots of speed bumps or enjoy roundabout!)
Hi, I didn’t have any problems with pulling to the left on any of my XC60’s and tyre wear was very good.

I have just had the V90 CC serviced and it has covered 7,400 miles and the tread was measured at 6mm on each tyre and there is even wear across each tyre.

Hope that helps to give you a comparison.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuffolkBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 21:46   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

This is neither normal nor acceptable.

Not great service from the dealer either - there's not much point in repeatedly doing the same thing if it doesn't fix the problem.

Time for a serious discussion with the dealer Service Manager methinks.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 21:57   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

In my experience pulling is in 90% of the cases caused by tyres . Try swapping the front wheels over first ... There is no such thing as " Tracking" these days , its all 4 wheel aligning where each wheel is lined up to the car's centreline ,
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 09:47   #5
Sceptre123

Thanks for the replies and they seem very similar to how I feel.

The car has been 4 wheel aligned on each occasion by the master technician and always within Volvo guidelines on their machine with the reset afterwards. On each occasion it Is better and then quickly returns to how it was. Last time they moved the wheels around too.

When you drive the car it’s like something slips. You can see the steering wheel turn left slightly. I’m old fashioned and it feels like a thread is missing on something... I guess with all this tech it could be a camera or something similar.

It’s not very bad... but it is very tiring on a long drive and does rather take the shine off an otherwise fantastic car and great dealer network.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 11:21   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and they seem very similar to how I feel.

The car has been 4 wheel aligned on each occasion by the master technician and always within Volvo guidelines on their machine with the reset afterwards. On each occasion it Is better and then quickly returns to how it was. Last time they moved the wheels around too.

When you drive the car it’s like something slips. You can see the steering wheel turn left slightly. I’m old fashioned and it feels like a thread is missing on something... I guess with all this tech it could be a camera or something similar.

It’s not very bad... but it is very tiring on a long drive and does rather take the shine off an otherwise fantastic car and great dealer network.
OK ... so have you found a flat empty road and tried moving over a bit driving down the centre of it , then moving to the wrong side of the road and trying that ? If the front tyres have been changed over try changing rear wheels to the front .
and set the tyre pressures to 38 psi ...

Not sure which year XC60 you have but the new generation with the electric power steering rack have a self righting function which puts a slight bias on the rack if you have to keep pressure on it one way . kind of self learning .
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 11:54   #7
Sceptre123

It’s a 2019 car which replaced an XC90 2016 car.

I will try your recommendation once the rain stops and see what happens.

The issue is not all the time but is consistent on each journey. The car can be different once switched off and on again.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 19:28   #8
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Had this problem a few years ago and ended up having it done on a Hunter system many about on line and never had the problem again was worth every £ I spent.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 13:32   #9
Tonyr027

My late 2018 XC60 Pulls to the left and Volvo have offered to do a four wheel alignment at £90, surely a quick check of the front toe in would be the first step.
Tonyr027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 13:37   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyr027 View Post
My late 2018 XC60 Pulls to the left and Volvo have offered to do a four wheel alignment at £90, surely a quick check of the front toe in would be the first step.
No No , things have moved on .. no one does that on modern cars . each of the 4 wheels has to be aligned to the centre line of the car .. then camber and toe in or out applied to each wheel as per specifications ......
A road test is first to determine what this pull is like , is it there on a flat road , is it there on the wrong side of the road where the road camber is different etc . and has the car got the self correction function on the electric steering rack... It's a complex business these days !