Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600449

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:05   #2411
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Can View Post
Hi,
I thought I'd share my recent experiences with you:
I've owned Ford Sierras and Ford Mondeos for the majority of my 30 year driving life so when my wife suggested something different as our next car, I very reluctantly agreed. We agreed to look for a Volvo V70 as we felt this car would meet our needs.
We found one that looked good in an independent car sales garage in Somerset. I traded in our slightly ropy but very reliable, 13 year old, 200K mile Mondeo (the engine was still running beautifully) for £250 and bought a 4 year old V70 SE Lux D4.
We have never known such luxury - and so many toys to play with!!!
The car came with a (non-volvo) service history though I had to chase the garage up for evidence of the most recent service. I only noticed that this was missing when I returned home 100 miles away. In the end, I received evidence (non-itemised) though I wasn't entirely sure that the service was actually genuine. I asked my local mechanic (very honest, very reliable) to give the car the once over. He found no real faults but the air filter was filthy and replaced and I had an oil and filter change to put my mind at ease. I didn't fancy getting into a legal battle with the garage that sold the car with no real proof, just a feeling - and the garage was 100 miles away.
Initial thoughts were - lovely car, safe, clean - would hopefully give us fairly trouble free motoring for the next 10+ years. I was a little disappointed with what I thought was a lack of power. The 13 year old Mondeo engine seemed to pull better in higher gears.
The car came with a 3 month warranty.
Soon after the warranty had elapsed, the dreaded engine light came on. At about this time, I also had a letter from Volvo recalling the car for an update to the software and a rerouting of hoses to prevent an unlikely but potential fire to the engine bay.
Back to my mechanic who diagnosed the engine light as a faulty EGR valve which he did a temporary fix on (clean?) and the engine light was turned off.
I also showed him the Volvo recall letter as I was slightly concerned that this might be a ploy to get cars back into a dealership to find loads of faults to fix at great expense to myself. He thought that the letter seemed genuine enough, but to be honest, with the light off, the car running well, I forgot all about it.
Then Lo and behold, a few months later, the engine light came back on. That is when I joined this forum. I spent a morning reading this thread pretty much from beginning to end and watched a few You Tube videos on what the valve does. I now consider myself a bit of an expert!!! (I'm not - any time I try any mechanics myself it always costs more money because I have to take the car back to the garage to undo my mistakes and then put the problem right - so I don't bother doing anything now!!)
I remembered the letter and contacted the dealership mentioned to book the car in for recall work. I mentioned the engine light. I asked them to take a look while doing the recall work in order for them to give me a quote on replacing the valve and the cooler which I would compare to a quote that I would ask my trusted mechanic for.
The garage Volvo dealership said that they would take a look, but there might be a chance that Volvo would agree for the work to be done at their expense!!!
So:
I took the car in yesterday.
They ran their diagnostic checks.
The problem was indeed the EGR valve and cooler.
The dealership contacted Volvo who agreed to do all of the work free of charge!
I am delighted.
The car is booked in to get everything sorted!
No dealership service history and they agree to do all of this work. It really has changed my opinion of the car industry (Volvo at least).
I will continue to get my car serviced by my regular mechanic who has been our regular mechanic for many years and has kept our Fords running mainly trouble free clocking up big miles.
Dave,

I am impressed and surprising you got the whole bill paid for by Volvo.

Care to name the dealer?

Thanks,

Gavin
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:43   #2412
Dave Can

Hi Gavin,
No problem- Truro, Cornwall.
Dave
Dave Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:50   #2413
Dave Can

Hi Gavin,
Dave
Dave Can is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Can For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 18:52   #2414
V70Gavin

So to conclude my episode (I hope):

I was offered 30% by my local main dealer garage. This, I have now learnt, was from the computer generated/automatic goodwill system.

When I called Volvo UK they were very helpful and knowledgeable about the EGR problem. They also made it clear that it is not the subject of a recall...even if we think it should be.

The lady said that by calling they would now take my issue to a second stage review and that she expected I would be given more goodwill but that I would be called by my local garage.

That has now happened and I have been offered 50% off parts & labour. The car is booked in for Monday.

The moral is...whatever your local dealer offers as goodwill, call Volvo UK as you might well get more.
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Gavin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 13:21   #2415
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Can View Post
Hi Gavin,
Dave
Volvo Taunton part of same group. Never had a problem with them.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 21:29   #2416
ayrix

Hi guys, first of all, sorry for my english since I'm a user from germany.

I just would like to describe the situation I am in right now.

Two weeks ago I also went to the Volvo dealer to perform the recall R29950 in order to change the ECM Software which should reduce the soot coming from the EGR to not make carbon deposit build on the intake valves. In this case the intake valves would not close properly and the combusted mixture could be blown back to the intake manifold which could melt or deform the intake manifold.

Once the service was done and the new software was flashed, I took my car and went back home. Next time I sat in the car, the engine light turned on and the injection in the 2nd cylinder was cut. Engine was not running round anymore.

So I went back to the car dealer and he checked the engine. After a while he came back and told me that they got to remove the cylinder head to clean the intake valves and and the seats since they are leaking.
So I asked him how he does know that they are leaking after 10min checking the engine without doing a compression or leak down check. Then he told me that they did a electrical compression test to check if the intake valves are leaking. I asked him if he knows how that works because I only know about compression checks which can tell you that there is compression issue in generall without telling you if the intake valve, exhaust valve, glow plugs, injectors or the pistons are leaking.
His answer was that he also doesn't know how that works.

I took my keys and went to another car dealer to to seek a second oppinion.
The other car dealer made the same diagnostic and told me that this is actually Volvo's fault since the original (previous) ECM-Software was producing too much soot which built carbon deposits on your intake valves why I have a leak on that cylinders now.
He told me that the new software should avoid the carbon deposit creation but I was too late already.

After I asked why the older software did not recognize that, he told me that in the new ECM software it's implemented a new diagnostic function what makes possible to detect leakage in the intake valves.

Now I contacted Volvo Costumer service and waiting for an answer how we will proceed now. The car has only 30.000km and has already this issue - unfortunately no warranty anymore but let's see what Volvo will say.

What do you think guys? Who should pay the repair? does anyone has similar issues?
ayrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 22:06   #2417
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrix View Post
What do you think guys? Who should pay the repair? does anyone has similar issues?
How old is the car and does it have a Volvo service history?
Over here I think Volvo have been good at sorting out EGR problems. I wonder if they say that they won’t pay for the repairs whether the Seafoam carbon remover type things would work? I think I’d try it before removing the cylinder head.

Good luck, Luke
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 05:39   #2418
ayrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
How old is the car and does it have a Volvo service history?
Over here I think Volvo have been good at sorting out EGR problems. I wonder if they say that they won’t pay for the repairs whether the Seafoam carbon remover type things would work? I think I’d try it before removing the cylinder head.

Good luck, Luke
Thank you Luke, the car was built end of 2015. I bought the car used and the pre owner didn’t drive the car much which might also one of the reason for the carbon deposits but still there is an issue with the software in my opinion. Service was always done at Volvo (last service may 2019).

I didn’t want to try the carbon remover before talking to Volvo and see what they say. Depending on that I will try to find a solution to fix that issue

Thanks
ayrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayrix For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 21:32   #2419
Aptref

I'm having the same issue. Did you find out what the fault was and how to fix it?
Aptref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 21:36   #2420
Aptref

Default P00bc00

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgers View Post
just bringing this post to the front to see if anyone could enlighten me
Having the same message and code(P00BC00) on my 2014 D4. Did you find out what was the problem was and how to fix?
Aptref is offline   Reply With Quote