Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BCM code 0101

Views : 3672

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2016, 10:13   #11
Bloders2

Another option i need advice on please.

I know of another similar car.
Assuming i have an issue with one of my modules, which if replaced needs Volvo re reprogram, along with diagnostic time etc, I could replace all the modules, and then my car would think its the other car if you follow.,
My question - what modules do i need to do a complete swap?

I think
Main ecu from under the wheel arch
ABS / BCM module from behind the battery
Immobiliser module (where is this please)
Key(s)
CEM (not specific to car, but is a suspect and may as well be done as part of the package
Do i need any other bits to transplant the electronic identity of the vehicle?

If i could get these parts for a reasonable price, it could be a better way forward. any comments please?

ps, other car is same age and same spec (an S)

Last edited by Bloders2; Apr 24th, 2016 at 10:28.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 11:00   #12
paddyred
Master Member

Hi bloders,

I would strongly advise against that route as there are around 52 control modules (depending on optional extras etc) and if you aren't able to code it in then you will have to replace nearly all of them including the radio, alarm modules etc. The CEM is specific to the vehicle and will need reprogramming as it is the brain of the vehicle and has most of the vehicle data programmed in like optional accessories etc. If you replace the ECM that will need coding in to the vehicle as the injector calibration codes will be different etc so it will need its data coppied across.
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 11:23   #13
Bloders2

ok. thanks. thought it was worth considering...
ive read CEMs are plug and play?
ill get CEM out and open up next
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 12:17   #14
paddyred
Master Member

Unfortunately the CEM controlles all the body stuff and isn't just a simple fuseboard. Theres a video here of a guy reprogramming his as its a real PITA as its not a simple plug and play

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0wWm9ju30
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 17:02   #15
The Thong
VOC Member

What a pain in the chuff.

TT
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 18:50   #16
Bloders2

right.
i got to it today, which i wasnt expecting to do so.
I have now
removed cem, opened it up and cannot see any "dry" joints.
reassembled.
cleaned as best i could all contacts onto cem and "worked them" as i attached them
I removed all fuses from engine bay fuse box and cleaned the tarnish off them, and used plenty of contact cleaner on the receptacles in the fusebox.

found the two wires mentioned above on the cem - not sure if second was white n red or grey n red. made sure they were making a good contact.

NO CHANGE

im back to thinking its the modules?
any suggestions where is best to get them repaired/tested? Im thinking maybe next remove ecu (ecm) bcm and cem and send them all to be tested/repaired.

any better suggestions?
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 20:46   #17
paddyred
Master Member

Well that's a shame. My next stop would be to take the ECM out and have a look at it. You can open it up and have a look inside for water ingress or you can send it away for proper testing. Considering you can't communicate with the module and you have fault codes (Although the code is for faulty software checksum) I would say that should be your first stop. As far as a testing company it's not something I've ever needed so I can't comment I'm afraid!
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 20:59   #18
Bloders2

i did open it up the other day (sorry, i should have said) and could not see anything obvious. However, im no electerical engineer, so not my forte.
to expedite the process, im thinking of sending all three, or at least the ecu and the cem away at the same time.
only reason i MIGHT not send bcm is because of the mess of disconnecting the pipes etc.
ill make some calls tomorrow and see how i go.
ive got testing down to 1) BBA reman, 2) ecu testing, or 3) clustertesting (or something like that)
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 21:08   #19
paddyred
Master Member

Well I guess its whoever is cheapest when it comes down to it and how much it costs. If they are charging a lot it may be worth taking it to a garage and getting a definitive answer if its going to cost say £50 a unit. It makes sense to spend an hour at a garage for a proper diagnostic then send the unit away instead of a hit and miss.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 21:29   #20
Bloders2

PROGRESS, well maybe.
So forgive me for a brief recap.
my scanner wont connect to ECM.
It does connect to the CEM and the BCM, giving code BCM 0101 - comms problem with the ECM

Anyway, today, twice, whilst the car was in limp mode, whilst driving, i connected the scanner, and tried to access the BCM. It would not connect saying there was a fault, or the module was not connected.
THEREFORE, am i safe in assuming it is the BCM module, as when the problem is not present, i can connect, when it was in limp, it would not connect?

At the same time, i WAS able to connect to the CEM and the Engine (diesel engine to get obdII codes, not the ecm)

If i am right in its the BCM, i am doubful as if it can be tested as it is an intermittent fault, maybe i shoudl get a second hand BCM (I know of one) and have it programmed to the car.

Thoughts please.
thank you