Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Corrosion on chrome trim.

Views : 4262

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2019, 08:43   #11
anddaf

Guys does anyone know the part number of the window chrome trim?
anddaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 12:10   #12
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
And looking at the photos, that's nothing to do with product, thats a manufacturing defect where moisture gets trapped between the chrome and the clear coat finish, your dealer is talking mince!
S90 is correct, that's a delamination fault between the aluminium and clear coating.

First generation XC90's were terrible for this and many (including mine) had the window surround trims replaced under warranty by Volvo.

Complain again to your dealer and escalate it to Volvo UK if you get no joy from them.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 15:10   #13
MCV60
Master Member

I too have a similar defect with the rear chrome trim on the V90, as on the Carwow video. Subsequently raised with the dealer when for when in for its service. Will wait on the outcome.
Old May 20th, 2020, 00:36   #14
Becakamp

Default XC60 trim delamination

Hi I also have the issue on my xc60 volvo and Volvo Australia is trying to also tell me it is an issue from cleaning products we have used. I am currently writing letters and about to ring them again before taking this further to VCAT as our car is still under warranty. If there is anyone else who would like to give me their information we may be able to have a go at them as a group.
Our main issue is that the service representative at our volvo dealership has described the marks as scratches. I have taken to an independent panel shop who has confirmed it is an issue with the trims and not something that could have happened with cleaning products.
Our is not marked at all around the mirrors. It seems to only be where the sun hits the trims which to me shows it cannot be a cleaning product issue.

Last edited by Becakamp; May 20th, 2020 at 01:17.
Becakamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:13   #15
gaby
Premier Member

What kind of cleaning products do you use?
We had a 940 with paint problems, they only showed up on the horizontal body parts,
where the sun was most powerful. I think the sun can definitely cause problems.
But of course that doesn't mean that the stains on the chrome of your car are caused by the sun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 01:22   #16
Cull06
Master Member

Just reading this now as my 4 month old v60 had the same trim corrosion issue.

And don’t believe that the “lease company will kick ass” or that “any dealer can undertake the repair” if it’s a lease car.

See back my posts on this for how it all seems to work in reality. The lease company in my case Santander will do anything To not Have anything to do with a brand new car with a permanent fault, and in fact told me that the local approved Volvo dealer “could have interfered with the car” when it went into them for repairs. Taken to them by Volvo recovery that is.

Still haven’t seen my car since March... it’s being brought back to me this week with apparently the engine rattling fixed but no explanation as to why it broke down and had to be put on the back of a truck.

But nobody cares is the reality.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 09:46   #17
DriverDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
in fact told me that the local approved Volvo dealer “could have interfered with the car” when it went into them for repairs.
reminds me when Nissan UK/GB said my car had been "Sabotaged" by one of their dealers and advised me to set up a video camera on a tripod and video my car being serviced!
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 10:12   #18
Cull06
Master Member

Sorry I should have said a Finance (PCP) car. It’s not on lease.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 06:37   #19
Dilinger

try meguiars chrome polisher, it worked for me fine and saved me the trouble on door trims.
dont know the cause, might be from road or rain but the are now like mirror.
pics of before and after along with product.

Last edited by Dilinger; Jun 7th, 2020 at 06:39.
Dilinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dilinger For This Useful Post: