Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Map Update.

Views : 4876

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2020, 17:19   #11
Wispyone

I have tried 3 times now to download this new map to my car, it takes approx 25 minutes and says 100% downloaded, then a message pops up saying download failed and an e-mail sent.
I have just wiped the USB and tried a fresh download from Volvo site. I will see if the fresh download works on my way to work in the morning......fingers crossed.

Richard
Old May 9th, 2020, 19:04   #12
TeamG
Master Member

I find that I need to format the USB stick each time to be problem free, then download the map update.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2020, 13:54   #13
Jumper9895
XC90 B5

Not sure what I do wrong but if I download just NW europe to a USB stick and then check the contents on file manager, the route directory shows one file and two zipped directories, when I put it in the car, update doesn’t start. Is that how the update is supposed to show on USB

All is okay though if I download the Europe map .....checking file content shows many many files in the root directory, just that takes 2-3 hours to download, updating takes approx 45 minutes once USB is loaded to car.

Sticking with the ‘long’way for now.
Jumper9895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2020, 18:32   #14
key76

I did my first update this week. NW Europe from in the car using my 4G.

My God it was slow.

4G signal good and speed test good.

Car reported just under 500Mb in size. Took over an hour to download and then well over an hour to install. That’s just crazy for a small update.

I’m hoping to travel into Europe in the car next year and will need multiple maps. Can’t say I’m looking forward to installing them at that speed!
Old May 14th, 2020, 23:16   #15
xsaab
Master Member

Unless the no surcharge for being an alien phone user not in your home country, you will be able to download the latest maps as you travel - eg download the latest French maps as you drive to the port, download the next country and so on.

The single country update process is "transparent to the user" ie it does not stop you using the installed map, the maps is installed the first time you stop the engine after the download has completed.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2020, 12:02   #16
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I’m hoping to travel into Europe in the car next year and will need multiple maps. Can’t say I’m looking forward to installing them at that speed!
I normally do UK updates "over the air" using the onboard SIM that can take upto 20 mins to download and often at least similar time to install.
BUT when updating a whole country option, I always would download from the Volvo site the file and then simply install from a USB file - must faster for a large /whole country update. https://www.volvocars.com/ph/support...aps/spa/europe
Old May 15th, 2020, 15:43   #17
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispyone View Post
I have tried 3 times now to download this new map to my car, it takes approx 25 minutes and says 100% downloaded, then a message pops up saying download failed and an e-mail sent.
I have just wiped the USB and tried a fresh download from Volvo site. I will see if the fresh download works on my way to work in the morning......fingers crossed.

Richard
You must be doing something wrong Richard although from here I can't suggest what. Assuming you go to the Volvo support site and identify correctly your car, ie S90 year 2018 (mine) and then click Maps, Europe etc and choose the correct Sensus model and then choose either Mac or Windows for your download a file entitled Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe will be downloaded to your computer. Once you double click this file a window will open allowing you to click Download to USB or Hard Disk. Choose USB having made sure that (a) the USB port is working and (b) that the drive is empty and sufficiently large to accommodate the file. The 3 files as shown below will then be downloaded to the USB.
Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe
EU_UR150_GB-IE-IS-1290
EU_UR150_GB-IE-IS-1290_of_02 These files were from the 1290 update.
These last 2 are folder files and contain a number of other files which contain the files to be loaded into the Sensus. To check that all has gone well go back to the Volvo Support site and start again until you see the Window asking you if you want to start a New Download or Check Download boxes. Click the Check Download box and let it do the check.. When it is done you will be told that it had finished. You can then be sure that there shouldn't be any problems when you insert the USB in the car.
The size of the update will vary the installation time. The last update (1300) took about 30 minutes to update. When it has finished you will get a message telling you that it has nearly finished and telling you to leave the USB in place with engine switched off for it to finalise. I usually leave it overnight but so long isn't necessary, it is just convenient for me to do this.

Apologies for rambling on and I hope that I haven't missed anything but I'm sure someone will tell me if I have. Let us know the outcome please.
Old May 15th, 2020, 21:52   #18
Wispyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
You must be doing something wrong Richard although from here I can't suggest what. Assuming you go to the Volvo support site and identify correctly your car, ie S90 year 2018 (mine) and then click Maps, Europe etc and choose the correct Sensus model and then choose either Mac or Windows for your download a file entitled Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe will be downloaded to your computer. Once you double click this file a window will open allowing you to click Download to USB or Hard Disk. Choose USB having made sure that (a) the USB port is working and (b) that the drive is empty and sufficiently large to accommodate the file. The 3 files as shown below will then be downloaded to the USB.
Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe
EU_UR150_GB-IE-IS-1290
EU_UR150_GB-IE-IS-1290_of_02 These files were from the 1290 update.
These last 2 are folder files and contain a number of other files which contain the files to be loaded into the Sensus. To check that all has gone well go back to the Volvo Support site and start again until you see the Window asking you if you want to start a New Download or Check Download boxes. Click the Check Download box and let it do the check.. When it is done you will be told that it had finished. You can then be sure that there shouldn't be any problems when you insert the USB in the car.
The size of the update will vary the installation time. The last update (1300) took about 30 minutes to update. When it has finished you will get a message telling you that it has nearly finished and telling you to leave the USB in place with engine switched off for it to finalise. I usually leave it overnight but so long isn't necessary, it is just convenient for me to do this.

Apologies for rambling on and I hope that I haven't missed anything but I'm sure someone will tell me if I have. Let us know the outcome please.
Thank you for posting, I have however managed to complete the new map upload.
I downloaded the new maps on to the USB, but once inserted in the car it took a few attempts to download correctly. I got to the point of leaving USB in place and it would go through the download process a few times travelling back and forth to work. Then yesterday morning I got a message saying new maps installed. I disconnected the USB and now system shows map version 1300 installed.

Richard
Old May 16th, 2020, 10:35   #19
key76

Where do I see the version of the map currently installed?
Old May 16th, 2020, 15:33   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
Where do I see the version of the map currently installed?
https://youtu.be/cLRn7pwSTmI
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote