Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DSA no longer working on my V40

Views : 1841

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 19:22   #1
gerardb

Hi.

Recently the DSA (short for Dynamic Stability Assistance - Volvo-speak for traction control) has stopped working on my 5 year old V40 2.0 SE (with winter pack).

It actually turns itself off after about 5 seconds driving - sometimes quietly - sometimes after the car has lost a serious amount of power. (I try to remember to turn it off before I start any journey.)

When I asked a dealer to look at it they said it would cost about £250!!! just to investigate the problem.
I then asked them to disable the DSA altogether and got a similar response.
I actually got the feeling that they didn't know anything about it.

Does anybody know how to disable the DSA feature?
Does anyone have any ideas what might be my problem?

Thanks.

Regards,
Gerard.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:20   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: DSA no longer working on my V40

I would get it checked asap.

If there is a problem with the DSA, then there could be a problem with the ABS as well, as they are connected.

Take it to a different dealer and say that you want them to look at it but don't want to pay anything unless they find the problem.

Paying for them to pratt around trying this and trying that in your car is the same as giving them a blank cheque, especially if at the end of all that they say we cannot find the problem but it took us 6 hours not to find it and here is a bill for £390!

If they cannot find the problem, which should be obvious to them that it exists due to the DSA light being always on, then you don't want to have to pay.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 20:53   #3
Andy S

Hi Gerard

Sorry I don't know how to disable DSA, or what the problem might be, but I did have a problem with erratic operation of the DSA on my 98 S40 T4 several months ago, it would be very slow to act sometimes, yet at others it would cut in briefly for no reason whatsoever.

Its under warranty so I dont know what the costs were, but they replaced the 'DSA module' because they had apparently found some fault code for the DSA. Whether this is direct from the DSA module or from the ECU I don't know, but if there are fault codes for the DSA,surely it's got to be a quick/cheap job to check for fault codes !

Cheers

Andy S
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:31   #4
Mav_UK

I know it's not the same car, but the moethods have to be similar, when I took my 440 in to have the ECU checked, due to hunting for fuel when cool (not cold and not hot but somewhere in the middle) and when the revs dropped to 2k for a split second, it took 30 mins (I think the computer was being unhelpfull) but that also included tyhem doing something to the ECU, cause it drove much better afterwards..... Total cost was about 30 euros (20 quid ish)

Stu