Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 166645

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 22:12   #141
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Yes, I found an o ring that was a snug fit on the ball and super glued it to the arm, I bought some 8mm dia 1.5 mm wall thickness ally tube from eBay , cut the arm in half and " whittle " the two halves down so the slide up the tube , then I found a spring in my local handy man's that slipped over the tube and cut it and hooked the ends around the arm sockets
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 01:14   #142
springbokrugby

Smile Modified Swirl Flap Actuator Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bic1 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and some this will help some of you! I have had the dreaded Swirl arm problem and many attempts at a repair left the parts so loose the the assembly only lasted a few miles before coming apart. I noticed the initial problem (broken link) was caused by the stepper motor being "overdriven" in order to calibrate the mechanism about every fifth time the engine was stopped. This is quite a common technique (I am an electronic engineer) for this type of arrangement. Anyway, the torque of the motor (when being overdriven) is sufficient to cause the linkage to break in time.
Once I understood this, I came up with the following solution, which has been rock solid for 6 months/10,000 miles.
(I hope the photo has uploaded OK)
Basically, I went to B+Q and got some right/angled aluminium extrusion and a rubber "foot" as a buffer. I cut a short length and drilled a hole in it so that the part could be fitted using one of the motor fixing points. I filed the hole so that it was a slot so that the position could be adjusted.
Next, I fitted the rubber foot as a buffer.
Finally, I fitted the part and adjusted it's position so that, when the calibration (overdrive) of the mechanism occurred, it used my part as a "bump-stop", instead of straining/breaking the mechanism. It is important the position is adjusted so that correct calibration is achieved, i.e. it stops the mechanism when fully extended, but JUST before it strains the arm.
No more trouble, simple to fit and costs only a couple of pounds.

Any chance you could post a picture of your modified arm? That would be very useful indeed.

Thanks in advance
springbokrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 07:36   #143
rxtian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbokrugby View Post
Any chance you could post a picture of your modified arm? That would be very useful indeed.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I've got BIC1's car now, the modified arm is still working well 100k miles later! I'll get a pic when I get home.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 12:37   #144
Robestringer

Hi.
This post will potentially help me a lot.... when I eventually logged in the pictures had disappeared. Any chance you still have them.
Thanks Rob
Robestringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 10:18   #145
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Pics 4u

Hi Rob e

Heres a couple of pics from the scrapbook, this was an alu angle bracket with a rubber block glued onto it, still going strong after 5+ years and 60k.. well worth fitting it to avoid the £700 bill and aggro !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bump0011.JPG (148.5 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg bumpstp_4d.JPG (80.1 KB, 389 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf swirl_Pages.pdf (103.1 KB, 87 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 17:08   #146
beyoto75

Hi all,

It’s been really useful to read your posts, I have managed to refit the arm in the engine side with a thin bolt and nut, but the car is still lacking power. I’ve started and stopped the engine several times (more than 5) hoping the motor would recalibrate the lever’s position, but when I stop it I only hear it buzzing while in the rearward position (towards the engine), but it is not moving. On the other hand, when I start the engine I see it is in a different position, slightly forward, so it seems the motor is actually able to move, but I would expect when it calibrates it would move completely backwards and forwards a few times, but it hasn’t. Has anyone seen this too? Do I need to wait or do something more? Thanks in advance
beyoto75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 17:11   #147
JRL
Master Member

You should be able to see the motor pulling the rod back and forwards fully. Are you sure the rod is free to move on the engine side? You haven't tightened the nut and bolt up too much? If not then it may be the stepper motor itself which has seized. You should be able to pick one up from a scrapyard.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 10:49   #148
beyoto75

It was free to move, I made sure before attaching back the actuator end of the arm. Anyone know any scrap yards in Dorking area? Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 12:48   #149
beyoto75

Finally managed to get it fixed, the swirl arm servo motor needed resetting which a local mechanic did by plugging the machine to the car. But that wasn’t the main reason for the loss of power, it happened to be the throttle valve. Reading other posts about power loss I recognised the description of the metallic noise, and the mechanic checked and confirmed it. Thanks to my research in the forum I already knew the part numbers of the throttle valve, so I bought a used one in eBay for £90 and once arrived the mechanic took about 45 min. to replace it and recalibrate it with the computer, and now the car is great and no more messages appear.

I attach a couple of pictures of the removed throttle valve, we opened it to confirm the cause, I was pleased to find the smoking gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82794C98-79CB-4F6D-8687-E53FD7CC03C0.jpg (162.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg C2E8EA22-814E-4503-97AA-2C748668F5F7.jpg (187.8 KB, 288 views)
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 07:31   #150
red baron
under the bonnet

Hi All,

Having the ball joint issues now, would it be possible to fit a small rod end and threaded bar type assembly to replace the original plastic arm? Seems a bit more of a robust solution?
V50 D5
red baron is offline   Reply With Quote